Bates and Wintec - Old vs New

MuddyTB

Visit site
Hi,
I'm hoping some knowledgeable person on here can help me.

My horse has always been ridden in an old style Wintec 500 GP. It fit well and caused no problems. However, it's now falling apart and I need a new saddle.

There aren't too many the same around due to the age, and those that are tend to need new girth straps etc. If I'm buying another saddle I'd like it to be in good condition. Does anyone know how the new Wintec 500 AP compares in fit?

My other option was to try get the Bates leather equivalent. I thought Bates and Wintec were basically the same saddles/trees etc but leather vs synthetic. Bates helpline just told me they are totally different brands, trees and fit so no useful info there.

So is there a Bates saddle out there with the same tree/fit as my original Wintec?

Non of my local saddlers have any of the models i'm interested in second hand to try so I'm left guessing looking at eBay.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

EnduroRider

Visit site
I was the same as you thinking that they were the same tree but synthetic vs leather in the same way Thorowgood and Kent & Masters are?

No expert but have been told by my saddle fitter that the older Wintec trees were more banana shaped than then new ones. The newer proving a better fit for most but I guess not for all if the old one suited your horse.

Where are you based? The lady I use for fitting is very good with Wintecs

TheHairyOne

Visit site
One of my horses has a very old wintec 200. The newer ones dont fit him. Not found anything else better for him fit wise for all the want and trying!

MuddyTB

Visit site
I was the same as you thinking that they were the same tree but synthetic vs leather in the same way Thorowgood and Kent & Masters are?

No expert but have been told by my saddle fitter that the older Wintec trees were more banana shaped than then new ones. The newer proving a better fit for most but I guess not for all if the old one suited your horse.

Where are you based? The lady I use for fitting is very good with Wintecs
I'm in North Yorks. He's a TB so the original shape works for him.

MuddyTB

Visit site
One of my horses has a very old wintec 200. The newer ones dont fit him. Not found anything else better for him fit wise for all the want and trying!
Not what I wanted to hear but very useful. Thanks. Will start trawling the ads again.