Bates Caprilli close contact or Sue Carson Monoflap?

spacie1977

Visit site
I'm looking for a 2nd hand jumping saddle that can be adjusted. I've spotted two rather scrumptious looking saddles and wanted opinions on which is better.
Is one more adjustable than the other? Which is comfiest to sit in, better quality of leather and stitching?
The tart in me is leaning towards the Bates at the moment as I love the two tone leather and contrast stitching but my friend says Sue Carson's are incredibly comfy.
I'm not a hugely experienced jumper, but happy to jump up to 90cm at the moment and want something I'll feel safe and able to go bigger, do some show jumping and cross country in.
Any opinions on these saddles would be much appreciated.

Spilletta

Visit site
I haven't tried the SC one so can't offer opinion on which is better. But I have the Bates CCC saddle and I love it and feel secure. People often comment on how nice it looks and like it when they try it. Not quite so happy with the Bates leathers as they stretched after quite little use even though they weren't cheap. (In case you went for the Bates and wanted the matching leathers...)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Bates saddles are nicely made & the leather quality is good. I do have issue with the fact that they are advertised as a saddle that will fit all horses because of the interchangeable gullets. The gullet is not the only measurement that dictates if a saddle fits or not. I have had a close contact, a gp & a dressage saddle from Bates. The saddle fitted one of our horses but when we tried them on another , even with multiple changes of gullets we could not get it to fit. In short they are a nice saddle but as with all saddles you need to thoroughly check the fit, don't assume that it will fit.

Sometimes we can have our minds set on a particular saddle, but sometimes that particular make won't suit our horse. I can't comment on the Sue Carson as I haven't owned one but same applies, check the fit thoroughly.

Oh, if you do have a Bates you will need to buy Bates leathers. If you don't you will find that most other leathers mark the saddle flaps horrendously. Bates leathers shouldn't really stretch much as they have webbing inside them to prevent stretching. :)

spacie1977

Visit site
Thank you for the replies. Yes I know there's still a bit of risk a changeable gullet saddle won't fit properly but I'm hoping if it doesn't, a local saddle fitter can tweak it somehow. On my current budget and considering my horse has changed shape a couple times this year I think something changeable is the best way to go for now. I'm using a thick prolite pad on his withers at the moment so if the new saddle isn't perfect and can't be adjusted enough it would at least fit better whilst I look for another.

Oh, if you do have a Bates you will need to buy Bates leathers. If you don't you will find that most other leathers mark the saddle flaps horrendously. Bates leathers shouldn't really stretch much as they have webbing inside them to prevent stretching. :)

The leathers was something I did wonder about. I've seen a couple Bates saddles on Ebay that have some really nasty dark marks where the stirrup leathers have sat, but I'm guessing it's difficult to find leathers that match properly. If the bates leathers do tend to stretch that might be why I've seen some Bates for sale with Stubben leathers.