Bath & West, first report

nelgonde

Visit site
Hi there,

I went today in the Intro. Dressage 8:16
shocked.gif
, finished by 10-ish.

My steed was little ern - 5yo project horse, broken barely a year and had a rest during the summer. This was his 2nd competition ever and tbh, after walking the xc course, I had serious trepidation. The first let-up fence I reckon was fence 10! The next easiest was probably the picnic table under a tree.

Anyway, dressage was always gonna be tricky. Second-ever dressage test, right beside the white railing of Bath & West main ring. So, to cut a long story short, a fair bit of wobbling, expected evasion in the canter, we were happy with a 45.

Show jumping - Bath & West second ring. Nice course until fence 6 onwards where you went planks - right-angled turn - spooky double - dogleg - big white parallel - curve - biggish upright. We had 3 of those but considering first round of jumps on grass away from home. It was alright.

XC as I said, looker stiffer than previously. Not ideal for a first timer. Fences 1-5 in the first field all had reasons for the horse to back off and tbh, we jumped none of them great. Then we got going. Nice steps, alright offset-combination. Trying to make it fun for a first timer without fussing too much. I did open-him-up a few times which was great. Then the final tricky combination was log, water, house. We went a bit too fast to the log and approaching the water ern hit the breaks. Then a little shuffle and a look and we were in, muddled over the house and home. Plus we finished inside the time which was a bonus.

The owners were happy too. I was just glad to be back in one piece
grin.gif

Ern now gets ready to go pointing in the Spring. We'll still work on the dressage but it looks like he's got at least one career ahead of him. Not bad for a bargain-basement Ascot purchase.

siennamum

Visit site
Hey well done you. Be really interested to see the course now, if it is at all stiff then I am quite looking forard to it.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Twiggy walked the course and said when she was watching it was carnage. So well done on your result what a great performance considering SLM RC event was his first!

dieseldog

Visit site
Well done you must be very pleased

A girl we know got elimanted when her horse fell over in the mud before the first fence so she got a horse fall and hadn't jumped a single fence on the XC

nelgonde

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hey well done you. Be really interested to see the course now, if it is at all stiff then I am quite looking forard to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Michelle, I wouldn't say it was stiff in terms of combinations, just things to look at with most of the single fences. As long as the mud isn't too bad you'll be fine
smile.gif

nelgonde

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Twiggy walked the course and said when she was watching it was carnage. So well done on your result what a great performance considering SLM RC event was his first!

[/ QUOTE ]
Blimey! Yes, LOL Stockland Lovell baby class was the first. Bit of a difference
smirk.gif

nelgonde

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well done you must be very pleased

A girl we know got elimanted when her horse fell over in the mud before the first fence so she got a horse fall and hadn't jumped a single fence on the XC

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a shame. I know the TA was quite concerned and asking a few of the early competitors how things were riding. I expect given the horses and the sun, the ground's now quite tacky.

BBs

Visit site
Congratulations Iain
smile.gif
so pleased for you
smile.gif

Bet it was great being back competing again
smile.gif

Very good result indeed, just hope you can keep the ride for next season now
smile.gif

Vxx