Bathing before clipping - what to do when it's too cold?

AppyLover1996

Visit site
Hi Guys,

Me again aha - this time with a clipping question!

So my current pony is requiring clipping - however it is extremely cold and I don't have access to a hosepipe or running water to give him a bath.

I know normally you should bath before clipping as it can leave some interesting results afterwards - however I sadly don't have the facilities to do this.

I was wondering if I give my pony a really good groom and keep him thoroughly rugged for the next few days, would this mean he was alright to clip?

It'll be my own clippers that I'm using so no one will be affected by loss of earnings with regards to a dirty-ish pony, however I also want the experience to be as nice as possible.

I also heard about adding coat shine spray to the coat beforehand - is this an old wive's tale or does it actually work??

My pony will be having either a blanket clip or a hunter clip.

AppyLover1996

Visit site
I’ve never bathed it’s not practical most of the time, not killed any clippers in the last 20 years
Thanks ester, I've clipped a few times but always had the luxury of having hot wash/solariums - now on a much nicer yard but no facilities (but a lot happier pony and owner!) hence my post.

I'll wait for my clippers to arrive and get merrily clipping away :)

AppyLover1996

Visit site
I've never bathed a hairy pony in winter. It does blunt blades but I'd rather send them for sharpening afterwards than try to dry a wet hairy pony.
Thanks Gloi,

He's not fine coated but not super hairy either - I'd say a medium kind of coat and that is the max he'll get for his winter coat. Normally I clip earlier but said pony was supposed to be retired but enjoyed escaping over various hedges and gates to the amusement of the vets, so they advised bringing him back into work - hence the late clipping post....

In your experience, how quickly do the blades get blunt - I've got mains clippers coming (Masterclip ones) so I'm hoping they'll last for at least a blanket aha!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Thanks Gloi,

He's not fine coated but not super hairy either - I'd say a medium kind of coat and that is the max he'll get for his winter coat. Normally I clip earlier but said pony was supposed to be retired but enjoyed escaping over various hedges and gates to the amusement of the vets, so they advised bringing him back into work - hence the late clipping post....

In your experience, how quickly do the blades get blunt - I've got mains clippers coming (Masterclip ones) so I'm hoping they'll last for at least a blanket aha!
With a pony with a normal coat you should have no problems getting a full clip or more from a set of blades.
I had an Icelandic with Cushing's if you can imagine 😧 and I sharpened after every clip.

AppyLover1996

Visit site
With a pony with a normal coat you should have no problems getting a full clip or more from a set of blades.
I had an Icelandic with Cushing's if you can imagine 😧 and I sharpened after every clip.

Oh blimey! Yep I can imagine the carnage that would have caused..... I do have a soft spot for Icelandic's - I learnt to canter on one and she was the sweetest mare, always loved a bum scratch after our ride (and the odd apple when she was allowed a treat!) - come winter it was a SAS style task tacking her up though as she was a little furry yak and had a fur coat that was never ending (even after being clipped!) !! 🤣

AppyLover1996

Visit site
I don’t bath before clipping in winter, just start with a good groom and make sure blades have been sharpened then send away to sharpen immediately after clipping. I use lister liberty clippers.
Hi gallopingby,

Thanks - I do a thorough groom at least twice a week (spending roughly 1.5 hours each time) so I'm hoping he won't be too grimy aha and I'm planning on sending them away for a service/ repair/ look over and blade sharpen as soon as I'm done with them - they're costing me but I've gone for quality, thoroughly questioned Masterclip and spoken to a ton of people, all of who have been honest and straightforward, so I've done a fair bit of research already on the clippers - but I'm determined to make them last as long as possible :)

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I don’t bath before clipping in winter, just start with a good groom and make sure blades have been sharpened then send away to sharpen immediately after clipping. I use lister liberty clippers.
I’d get multiple clips out of a pair of blades clipping a cushings native

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Well just to make you feel better I have bathed a hairy pony on a cold night prior to clipping..but there were four of us rubbing with towels as soon as rinsing with warm water done. (I’d filled canisters with hot water at home…so luke warm by time they were used).