Bay boy gone grey!

Sheep

Visit site
Took a few photos of my lovely gelding A this evening and noticed just how grey his mane has become!

I have had him 8 years now, since he was 16. He has always had a few silver highlights but now he is getting older, they are becoming more prolific.

I really do not understand colour genetics but it is interesting to note that his tail remains solid black. As above, his mane has always had a bit of silver in it from I have had him, so I don’t think it is totally age related. He also has a large dark patch on his shoulder (looks like a sh*t stain).

Pictures of the old git & said silvery hairdo ?

6399D08F-A740-41F3-A9AB-9C2877372D04.jpegE0360899-1314-4341-9008-8C4DE0BF6D11.jpeg

SEH

Visit site
It has literally never occurred to me that horses can go grey haha, interesting that he has always had some. Only change I have ever seen is a grey loosing his dapples! He looks amazing.

Mule

Visit site
A friend of mine has a brown horse that has turned grey over the last few weeks/ month. It's a young horse, I don't know if it's happened with her before. It seems a bit strange.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
A friend of mine has a brown horse that has turned grey over the last few weeks/ month. It's a young horse, I don't know if it's happened with her before. It seems a bit strange.

Any idea what breed it is? Appaloosas can be minimally marked/unmarked to the inexperienced eye but can change phenomenally.

SEL

Visit site

Did it have a "goggle" look around its eyes when it was bay? My friend's black foal is now grey (@5) but we knew quickly after she was born that her colour would change because of the goggles.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
I’ve noticed my bay 3yr old has grey hairs over his flanks. He better not bloody turn grey ? specifically bought him to not have a grey!

Mule

Visit site
Did it have a "goggle" look around its eyes when it was bay? My friend's black foal is now grey (@5) but we knew quickly after she was born that her colour would change because of the goggles.
No goggles. I'm curious to see if she'll stay grey now.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Horses who are 'greying' purely from age usually show first signs around ears and muzzle - but that is true of the genetically grey too. But if a horse shows NO sign of going grey by about 10, you'll need to wait another 10 years (roughly) for any 'signs'.

Buck-grading.jpgBuck  - at 8yo.jpg

This chap has produced foals JUST as slow to grey as he was. I still have a bay 6yo that is showing no signs - I jsut wouldn't put much money on it.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My late mare was a buckskin when born and up to 3 1/2 then started changing, ended up a grey mare. This new mare was bay on her passport now turning grey will end up white