Bay dun

Xmas lucky

Visit site
I seen a tictok about a bay dun are they actually real or are they bs. so what do you think colour experts .

This is a bay dun
22736212-5D34-434D-B37E-64D13D858342.jpeg
I thought a dun look like this

5252B31B-1A38-4765-BAD3-EFC27A9F11F5.jpeg

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Of course they're real; you've just posted a picture of one! Also known as red dun. There are various iterations of dun/buckskin, it is one of the "primitive" original colours of wild horses.

Cloball

Visit site
Difficult to tell if the top one is a true dun or rather a bay with a prominent dorsal. There isn't much dilution in the coat but you'd need a good shot of the eye tips and tail head. Photo editing and filters can really change how coats appear.

Snowfilly

Visit site
Easiest to think of ‘dun’ as a pattern laying over the base colour, causing dilution and dark points. Any base colour can coexist with dun; you can get grey, chestnut, palomino, various roans, various white patterns and the rest all with the dun on top.

What we were mostly taught as dun, yellow with black mane and tail, is normally a buckskin ie a bay with one dilute gene. Common in welsh and sadly declining in Connie’s.

Can’t tell on the horse in the top pic, need some close ups of ear tips and dock to be sure. May just be a bay with a stripe!

Caol Ila

Visit site
Hermosa looks bay, but apparently, she doesn't have the bay gene. She has a dorsal stripe and looks very light in summer, but much darker now. She has a gene called nd1, which means 'not dun 1.' So I don't even know. I think she's 'bay' or 'dun' on various bits of paperwork.

This is her, standing next to her foal.

IMG_D46C871BB116-1.jpeg

This is early June.
IMG_0544.JPG

Lois Lame

Visit site
Ah, I was going to say your mare looks brown to me, not bay, Caol Ila.
But then I saw the second pic.

[scratches head]

Regarding the first photo of the QH, I don't know what he is. Dare I say I'd want to see him in the flesh, see his parents, his great gandparents, his great, great grandparents, and have a horse colour guru with me.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
gerpla and vordis.jpg
My Blue dun mare with bay dun foalVordisWC.jpg
Bay dun grown up
scan0005.jpg
And my red dun to complete the set

I've never seen a bay dun of the colour of the top horse but I tend to think it is a dun from the mask on the face. I'm not convinced Hermosa is dun.

Last edited:

Cloball

Visit site
Hermosa is definitely bay with nd1 I don't think the nomenclature has kept up with the genetics. I am not sure how she couldn't be bay.