Baytril antibiotic- allergic reactions

Louby

Visit site
My vet didnt want to prescribe it when my horse was 4 as apparantly it can do something to the joints in young horses. At 7 he was happy to give it. Luckily didnt end up using it.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thanks...interesting! My horse is 5
frown.gif

Louby

Visit site
Oh god, I hope I havent worried you. Maybe 4 was the cut off. Vet didnt say wait til he was 7, it was just that he was 7 when he suggested it for a long standing problem that the other antibiotics wouldnt shift. Next day the swelling started to reduce and so I didnt have to use baytril. Couldnt believe it.

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My vet didnt want to prescribe it when my horse was 4 as apparantly it can do something to the joints in young horses. At 7 he was happy to give it. Luckily didnt end up using it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Herbie had Baytril in Jan, he was only 2 and a half then
shocked.gif
, so hope it does not cause a problem. In his case it was because he was ill after his op and not getting better, so they put him on Baytril and that fixed him.

Stasha22

Visit site
My girl had a course of Baytril when she was 5 and she was fine.

My friends mare had a quite a few courses of it as a very sickly 4 year old and she too was fine.

My vet didn't mention the chance of allergic reactions? Perhaps she ought to have?!

aran

community.webshots.com
Baytril isnt licenced in horses. It is usually given an the last resort as there is very little resistance to it in horses. It is expensive too.
Mine was given it following joint surgery (I've not heard about it causing joint problems?!?). We thought that he may have had an infection as he had a lot more swelling than expected. Joint sepsis is difficult to sort in horses as they do not respond well to systemic antibiotics. He had 2 courses of others and then the baytril as the final try (it turned out it was just him and not infection!)
He reacted to the baytril - a small percentage do. He was one of only 2 that the RVC could remember having reacted. His mouth swelled up and he got ulcers on his tongue. We had the vet out immediately and he was fine. We obviously stopped the baytril course.
Have you had issues with it?

Louby

Visit site
Young animals treated with enrofloxacin otic (baytril) may develop damage to the cartilage of their joints. Swollen joints and lameness are clinical signs that may be observed.

JUst googled Baytril and found this. Im only posting it as I thought OMG have I got this wrong and caused people to worry. It was listed in the side effects.