BBC news - livestock dog attacks

Cecile

Visit site
Today on BBC news at 6pm and later on
MP's are getting behind and trying to address dog attacks and livestock, horses are also mentioned regarding dog attacks

Anything that raises awareness is a good thing, its never the dogs fault, its the idiot owners

Its worth watching, especially if you have had issues with dogs and livestock or horses

Cecile

Visit site

Luci07

Visit site
I really do believe that a lot of this stems from the huge sense of entitlement so many people now have. They believe it is their right to have a dog/s and these animals will be all perfectly behaved and their owners have the right to let said dogs run anyway. It's why rescue centres are stacked with unwanted dogs, why there is already a sharp rise in the seizure of puppy farm dogs being imported, and why we are seeing so many attacks on livestock. I have dogs, all rescues or rehomes so am most definitely not anti dog but it just takes a few to spoil it for all of us.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
L you're right about some people's sense of entitlement.

A couple of our horses are in a field with two footpaths that run along the hedge lines. The horse are fenced off from the paths, but the number of people who let their dogs run in the filed is unbelievable. If one asks them, nicely and politely, to get them out there's a range of responses from the odd 'sorry' to full on abuse.

meleeka

Visit site
L you're right about some people's sense of entitlement.

A couple of our horses are in a field with two footpaths that run along the hedge lines. The horse are fenced off from the paths, but the number of people who let their dogs run in the filed is unbelievable. If one asks them, nicely and politely, to get them out there's a range of responses from the odd 'sorry' to full on abuse.
I’ve has this too except there’s a huge ditch and a fence between me and the footpath. I have a mini shetland now who is excellent at chasing out unwanted visitors :) I’m just amazed that people don’t worry about the safety of their dogs.

Sleighfarer

Visit site
These entitled people are everywhere. My friend was riding round the edges of a field she rides in most days when a woman appeared with two lurchers. The lurchers ran straight at her at full pelt. Friend's horse is pretty steady, but she pointed out to the owner that the dogs could easily have been kicked. The owner shouted abuse at her, ending with "you stuck-up c**t".

planete

Visit site
Being charged by riders' loose dogs is one of the hazards encountered here and I am very weary of some riders and their dogs as I walk mine on lead on the Forest and have ended up on the ground before now while my lot was facing up to several dogs lunging and barking at us even when we had detoured into the heath to get away from the riders' route. These riders no doubt feel 'entitled' to take their dogs along but have not bothered to train them and rely on the dogs eventually following them and leaving us alone by which time my sympathy for riders has evaporated. And I used to take my Border Terrier out with my horse every day in the old days so am far from being against it.

wingedhorse

Visit site
These entitled people are everywhere. My friend was riding round the edges of a field she rides in most days when a woman appeared with two lurchers. The lurchers ran straight at her at full pelt. Friend's horse is pretty steady, but she pointed out to the owner that the dogs could easily have been kicked. The owner shouted abuse at her, ending with "you stuck-up c**t".

Who owns the field? What rights of access are there?

Luci07

Visit site
Who owns the field? What rights of access are there?

Being in the right doesn't often work in your favour..horses have ROW on bridlepaths which is conveniently forgotten by many other users. I love hacking out with my dogs but sadly couldn't do it so much we moved yards as had a lot of roadwork. Out of all 6 Staffords, I have only managed to train 2 who would behave properly and be trusted to come out with me. It wasn't other people's dogs I was worried about, it was the random walkers or cyclists my dogs wanted to say hello to. Not always appreciated by said people!