BBC olympics

stormox

Visit site
Does anyone know what the schedule is for BBC equestrian sports? My 'info' button says dressage this morning but its not on yet and its started already I believe. OK then can only show 2 sports but itd be handy to know what and when!

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
Does anyone know what the schedule is for BBC equestrian sports? My 'info' button says dressage this morning but its not on yet and its started already I believe. OK then can only show 2 sports but itd be handy to know what and when!
According to my friend, it's on BBC 1 at 11.15am. I've no idea where she got that information from though, so don't blame me if it's wrong!

HashRouge

Visit site
From what I've seen so far, the BBC is trying to show British medal hopes competing love where possible, and/or sports they know have big popular appeal. My feeling is that they will probably only show Charlotte's ride, as that's what they did yesterday (plus a couple of the German riders I think?). So this morning they had diving (British medal potential), parts of the cycling time trial (British competitors plus popular sport), Rugby 7s (British medal potential plus popular sport) and now are on boxing (British medal potential). That's why I think we'll see Charlotte, but not much else.

If you want to watch the dressage, get over to Discovery+. 3 day free trial and/ or £4.99 for a full month.

Kat

Visit site
It is chopping and changing so much I would seriously recommend just paying the £4.99, it is annoying to have to pay but you can see every rider for all three sports and rewind/watch again as you wish. Otherwise you may well only get the last two or three of the freestyle.

BBC won't show the eventing dressage or XC live. I guess they might show the last few show jump though.

AFB

Visit site
Just watched the 20 min highlights on iPlayer from yesterday, thought the coverage was poor and really uninspiring - certainly wouldn't keep the attention of anyone unhorsey

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Im at work but hubby is at home so every time a horse appears on screen he is pressing record :) Im ging to sign up to Discovery for the trial tomorrow, that should just about last till the end if the XC I think!!

HBB

Visit site
All I can say is thank goodness for Eurosport 2, their live coverage has been perfect! As for the BBC's coverage, it has been a completely frustrating flop!

HashRouge

Visit site
All I can say is thank goodness for Eurosport 2, their live coverage has been perfect! As for the BBC's coverage, it has been a completely frustrating flop!
That is because Eurosport is owned by Discovery, who bought the pan-European rights to show the Olympics. The BBC do not have this luxury - they have to negotiate with Discovery for what they are allowed to show, and are limited to showing two sports at once. So not their fault if it's been a "frustrating flop" - they simply cannot show any more, and are trying to show a range of sports for the casual viewer.

stormox

Visit site
That is because Eurosport is owned by Discovery, who bought the pan-European rights to show the Olympics. The BBC do not have this luxury - they have to negotiate with Discovery for what they are allowed to show, and are limited to showing two sports at once. So not their fault if it's been a "frustrating flop" - they simply cannot show any more, and are trying to show a range of sports for the casual viewer.
All the same they could put up a schedule with when what sport is on - they managed to do that with 10 sports at once on RB surely itd be easier to show a correct schedule with only 2??

HBB

Visit site

It absolutely was a frustrating flop!
I don’t know how many times they listed viewing times for dressage and then nothing was shown. They did that multiple times and no mention as to why the dressage was missing from the viewing listing advertised ??‍♀️

HashRouge

Visit site
It absolutely was a frustrating flop!
I don’t know how many times they listed viewing times for dressage and then nothing was shown. They did that multiple times and no mention as to why the dressage was missing from the viewing listing advertised ??‍♀️
I can see that might seem like the case if you're trying to watch a specific sport. For the casual viewer it's been pretty good though. I've seen a huge range of sports and have really been enjoying the coverage - they even showed the men's surfing final the other day!
I've subscribed to Discovery+ so that I can watch certain things all the way through if I want to, but I've generally been watching the Beeb's coverage.

Kat

Visit site
All the same they could put up a schedule with when what sport is on - they managed to do that with 10 sports at once on RB surely itd be easier to show a correct schedule with only 2??

That's easier though because you have so many channels and don't have so many tough decisions to make. There aren't so many things happening that you are likely to have so many finals taking place you can't show them all. If something runs over you can bump some heats or something that Team GB aren't in medal contention for. With just two channels it is much more difficult.

I do think they could have improved things by having two live channels that just show live footage and then have all the interviews, discussions and highlights on a separate channel so that you aren't looking at two pundits chatting when you know there is exciting action taking place.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
There was dressage on the BBC red button earlier, I caught some by accident. Managed to watch some tests in between clients!
Edited to add: If it was on the red button, it should be on iplayer.

horsimous

Visit site
Sorry to be ignorant but if I get a subscription to Discovery, is it for a whole year? Can I watch it via my tv?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Sorry to be ignorant but if I get a subscription to Discovery, is it for a whole year? Can I watch it via my tv?

If you have a smart tv where you can open apps, then yes, you can watch it on your tv. If you dont have a smart tv, you could use a tablet and connect to your tv via a USB cable (most TVs have a USB hub)

If you have SkyQ you can sign up to a free 12 month subscription (you'd open the app through the sky box instead of the tv).

If you are a Vodafone customer you can sign up to a 6 month free trial.

If you are neither of the above you can sign up for a 3 day free trial. If you dont cancel the trial you will roll on to a £4.99 per month agreement with DiscoveryPlus.

You can pay for a single month of Discovery plus for £6.99 or you can pay for 12 months up front for £29.99 (I think)

Check your tv first, can you use apps on it? If not do you have a tablet (can you comfortably watch it on that?) Do you have a firestick or an xbox and could watch an app through that, plugged in to your tv?