BBC Response re Olympia Freeview on Saturday

hairycob

Visit site
This is the response I received from the Beeb as to why Freeview stopped before cable & satellite. It doesn't explain why they had snooker on terrestrial & interactive though. You would have thought it would be a good idea to give viewers the option to choose between sports.

Thank you for your e-mail regarding BBCi.

I understand that you would like to know why coverage of the Olympia Horse Show continued on BBCi via satellite and cable after it had finished on Freeview.

If I may explain, the BBCi capacity on Freeview is currently smaller than that available to satellite and cable due to limited bandwidth space. Therefore there is much more competition for space for programming so sometimes as a result less can be shown. This should change in the future when analogue broadcasting is switched off as this will free up more space to be used for broadcasting BBCi via Freeview.

In the meantime, however, please be assured that your comments have been registered on our audience log. This internal document is available to the schedulers concerned as well as BBC management.

Feedback of this nature helps us when making decisions about future BBC programmes and services and your comments will play a part in this process.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

Erika Graham
BBC Information