BBC Victoria live - cruelty to horses

Cecile

Visit site
I watched it but had my finger ready to switch off, the ones featured had already had a fair bit of press
but it never ceases to amaze and confuse me how people can do it :(

Cecile

Visit site
any mention of where these abandoned horses likely came from? or were all horse owners being lumped together again?

No ID so no way of finding out but they do have to hide some of them in secret places as if/when they are all well and healthy the owners try to steal them back if not hidden away

In some cases I think they stand a better chance of finding the owner of the sofa and dumped rubbish that they leave on top of some of them then the horse itself

Merrymoles

Visit site
Same old story: Law-abiding citizens have microchipped and passported horses so could possibly be traced (if there were a national database which there isn't).

Other sections of society don't have to obey any rules, see horses as a material asset that has lost its value and don't give a stuff about suffering.

The Government/Defra won't act (and probably couldn't afford to), the charities get landed with the poor little souls that can be saved and generally horses have less protection and care than beef cattle.

The sad fact is that while many horses are, to all intents and purposes, worthless, it is not in their owners' interests to do anything for their benefit, wrong though that is in our view. And the problem will continue as paying for gelding is also not on their agenda so mixed herds continue to produce year after year.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
No ID so no way of finding out but they do have to hide some of them in secret places as if/when they are all well and healthy the owners try to steal them back if not hidden away

In some cases I think they stand a better chance of finding the owner of the sofa and dumped rubbish that they leave on top of some of them then the horse itself

it was a somewhat rhetorical question, I expect I know what society the majority of these horses come from I am sick of the RSPCA bleating on about this, lumping us all in together. besides, they (RSPCA) aren't usually slow in shooting horses even when they have homes for them to go to.

Mule

Visit site
Same old story: Law-abiding citizens have microchipped and passported horses so could possibly be traced (if there were a national database which there isn't).

Other sections of society don't have to obey any rules, see horses as a material asset that has lost its value and don't give a stuff about suffering.

The Government/Defra won't act (and probably couldn't afford to), the charities get landed with the poor little souls that can be saved and generally horses have less protection and care than beef cattle.

The sad fact is that while many horses are, to all intents and purposes, worthless, it is not in their owners' interests to do anything for their benefit, wrong though that is in our view. And the problem will continue as paying for gelding is also not on their agenda so mixed herds continue to produce year after year.

I wonder if gelding was free would they avail of it?

Merrymoles

Visit site
any mention of where these abandoned horses likely came from? or were all horse owners being lumped together again?

It would be something if the RSPCA would mention what percentage of these abandoned horses were microchipped wouldn't it, perhaps with a line about how it is a requirement for all horse born after 2009 (especially given how many seem to be youngsters) and how responsible owners ensure their horses have chips - would save them mentioning the words they dare not utter...

Cecile

Visit site
it was a somewhat rhetorical question, I expect I know what society the majority of these horses come from I am sick of the RSPCA bleating on about this, lumping us all in together. besides, they (RSPCA) aren't usually slow in shooting horses even when they have homes for them to go to.

Unfortunately I think we are being sensored in what we can say
Eg: Went to a RSPCA rehoming centre and there were masses of coloured cobs, I innocently asked if some of them were from a certain society and I kid you not the woman reacted like I had called her fat, ugly and an inbred - she almost attacked me for a very simple question without any malice attached to it

Next one was police locally were out in shocking weather and saw a dog limping and in a bit of a state, it was on a road outside a certain society camp, in the paper it said the microchipped dog had been reported stolen some time ago but there was nothing suspicious and no link to where the police found it or link to this dog being stolen and where it was found - I would of preferred to hear more about the dogs recovery and it being reunited with its original owner than all other stuff, after all who was asking or going in this camp to enquire?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Unfortunately I think we are being sensored in what we can say
Eg: Went to a RSPCA rehoming centre and there were masses of coloured cobs, I innocently asked if some of them were from a certain society and I kid you not the woman reacted like I had called her fat, ugly and an inbred - she almost attacked me for a very simple question without any malice attached to it

the problem though, is until it can be said 'out loud' the problem cannot be begun to be addressed as it appears to be cultural. lumping it in with all horse owners is denying what is happening in the majority of cases.

Cecile

Visit site
the problem though, is until it can be said 'out loud' the problem cannot be begun to be addressed as it appears to be cultural. lumping it in with all horse owners is denying what is happening in the majority of cases.

I suppose the problem is then we would be tarring an entire group of people with the same brush, I do agree with you but I would like to see the culprits being named and shamed rather than what happens now and a real effort to find them even by offering a reward, its like dealing with the 3 wise monkeys as it stands with no deterrent, so it continues

I got the distinct impression when I was at that rehoming centre with a friend that my question was not uncommon and they were well versed with the reply, although the woman was a bit OTT with how she handled it, it was like I had raised a taboo topic