BD 39 - walk to canter at C

m1stify

Visit site
BD 39 - walk to canter at C on left rein
Hi I’m having trouble with this movement in my last 3 outings we have struck off on the wrong leg! It doesn’t always happen in training but now I think I’m anticipating it in the test and it’s turned into a self fulfilling prophecy! Any tips to get over this and get the strike off right?

Littlebear

Visit site
BD 39 - walk to canter at C on left rein
Hi I’m having trouble with this movement in my last 3 outings we have struck off on the wrong leg! It doesn’t always happen in training but now I think I’m anticipating it in the test and it’s turned into a self fulfilling prophecy! Any tips to get over this and get the strike off right?
How are you asking for it?

MissTyc

Visit site
Do you have any video of the any of the last three outings?
Does your horse strike off correctly at home and in all conditions e.g. out hacking as well as school, so it's just the competition that's the problem?

m1stify

Visit site
Do you have any video of the any of the last three outings?
Does your horse strike off correctly at home and in all conditions e.g. out hacking as well as school, so it's just the competition that's the problem?

It’s the competition mainly! The odd time at home not hacking no I don’t have videos unfortunately

oldie48

Visit site
Hi I found this useful
https://howtodressage.com/dressage-movements/how-to-ride-a-good-walk-to-canter/
I am struggling with walk to canter ATM and generally it's because the walk is not good enough or Rose is not straight. Try using the corner to energise and ensure your horse is uphill, slight flexion to inside making sure you don't lose the outside shoulder, weight on inside seatbone, outside leg back with inside leg perhaps giving a bit of a nudge if the horse needs it and in theory, bingo! Looks easy on paper but I am going through a period where I get it immediately and we have a lovely canter or we don't and it goes from bad to worse! Any way I hope the link helps!

m1stify

Visit site
Ok, I would be touching with right leg just behind girth for left lead canter, left leg supports.

She goes with just a touch of left leg and Weight change I never use my opposite leg on her at all have ridden her always like this might be a bother to change after so long but willing to try!

m1stify

Visit site
Hi I found this useful
https://howtodressage.com/dressage-movements/how-to-ride-a-good-walk-to-canter/
I am struggling with walk to canter ATM and generally it's because the walk is not good enough or Rose is not straight. Try using the corner to energise and ensure your horse is uphill, slight flexion to inside making sure you don't lose the outside shoulder, weight on inside seatbone, outside leg back with inside leg perhaps giving a bit of a nudge if the horse needs it and in theory, bingo! Looks easy on paper but I am going through a period where I get it immediately and we have a lovely canter or we don't and it goes from bad to worse! Any way I hope the link helps!

I understand! However I am thinking I will ask a bit after C better have a late transition rather than a wrong leg which messes up the subsequent test movement also

be positive

Visit site
Half halt and then flex to left and touch with left leg

I suspect when you flex her left you are losing the outside shoulder slightly which is why she goes wrong at the competition as there is no fence to guide her, no need to change your established aids just practise more off the track at home and maybe maintain the inside flexion a little longer while ensuring you do not lose outside contact so she remains genuinely between leg and hand moving off the leg without rushing away.

TWMD

Visit site
I've always been taught to flex slightly to the outside before asking to free the inside shoulder up and ensure straightness. Also make sure that outside hind is marching through.

Depending on your horse's temperament, try doing lots of walk-canter-walk on the inside track in the collecting ring (so you're not relying on the fence) to really get him on the aids. My horse always does a few rubbish ones until he knows what we're doing then all I have to do is put my outside leg back and he pops up into canter. Obviously if yours is the buzzy/anticipating type this may not work!

My instructor used to get me doing walk to canters down the C/L to teach the horse to strike off based on which leg went back rather than relying on the bend to get the correct strikeoff.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Don't change your normal aids or you will have a confused horse! Just practice more at home, doing the transitions in different places and (shh..) using a certain signal as well as the normal aids.

Littlebear

Visit site
She goes with just a touch of left leg and Weight change I never use my opposite leg on her at all have ridden her always like this might be a bother to change after so long but willing to try!

I’ve seen quite a few demos where this canter aid has been debated at length, the general consensus from the top riders and trainers is always that if you use the inside leg / inside weight aid instead of your outside as your training progresses flying change aids become extremely difficult.
I would personally want them striking off from opposite leg so when you come to doing changes this doesn’t become an issue.
Also counter canter aids as you move up may cause a muddle.
Straightness is another issue that will come up on but not quite so important just yet but worth starting to think about in your training for your progression x hope that helps x

Hallo2012

Visit site
I’ve seen quite a few demos where this canter aid has been debated at length, the general consensus from the top riders and trainers is always that if you use the inside leg / inside weight aid instead of your outside as your training progresses flying change aids become extremely difficult.
I would personally want them striking off from opposite leg so when you come to doing changes this doesn’t become an issue.
Also counter canter aids as you move up may cause a muddle.
Straightness is another issue that will come up on but not quite so important just yet but worth starting to think about in your training for your progression x hope that helps x

agree with all this, you are setting up a much bigger issue by using the inside leg for canter IMO

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I suspect when you flex her left you are losing the outside shoulder slightly which is why she goes wrong at the competition as there is no fence to guide her,

this
I would really check the straightness/balance before giving the aid.
My current horse learnt to canter from the inside aid only, it's just the way she picked it up and actually up to Novice i left it as it was, but after we got summer regionals out of the way (no more N39!! ) I taught her to go from my outside aid instead. Well worth it because she then picked up the changes easily.

m1stify

Visit site
this
I would really check the straightness/balance before giving the aid.
My current horse learnt to canter from the inside aid only, it's just the way she picked it up and actually up to Novice i left it as it was, but after we got summer regionals out of the way (no more N39!! ) I taught her to go from my outside aid instead. Well worth it because she then picked up the changes easily.

Yes that is how she canters maybe I need to teach her the “proper” way after all this time! Thank you