BD - MEDIUM CANTER?

scrumpygus

Visit site
I was watching a seminar with Carl Hester and he mentioned a horse that got a 10 for medium canter when he literally galloped down the long side. I normally get 6 for medium canter but just wondered if anyone else gets a higher score for their medium canter how do they achieve it - do you literally go for it? Its not extended canter so i thought i should just lengthen the strides but would i get a better mark by really pushing forward alot more - anyones experience here would be greatly appreciated - i have 2 tests on sunday with medium canter in and a few extra marks would be lovely.

Halfstep

Visit site
In medium canter like medium trot the strides get bigger but the rhythm remains the same. So it isn't a gallop down the long side, it is bigger strides, more jump and more cadence but without altering the canter rhythm.

Also you will only get a high mark for medium canter if your transition back to working/collected canter is good.

practice going forwards and back in the canter at home and get your horse used to opening and closing his stride on your aids and not getting flat and running in the Medium, or falling in a bit of a heap on the transition.

smile.gif

scrumpygus

Visit site
Thanks alot - its interesting that you mention the transition back to collected as i havent given this too much thought at all - i just try to get a good medium and a good collected but perhaps i need a little more work on the transition in and out. I have been looking back through my test sheets and i have no cc whatsoever just loads saying 'good' or nothing at all just a mark or on one from a while ago 'not enough shown'.

Eye_Spy

Visit site
I was always taught medium canter should be more 'open' (if that makes sense)
blush.gif
, using greater impulsion from the hind quarters whiel still staying round. The rhythm shouldn't change but the horse should be covering more ground than working but not as much as possible as in extended.