BE fixtures musing

popsdosh

Visit site
Now the fixture list is official it is sad to see another drop in the opportunity for higher level horses to compete.Another Advanced gone which is 7% of fixtures and a drop of two intermediates so 5% cant help think there would be an outcry if at 80-90 level.

TableDancer

Visit site
Interesting, I hadn't noticed that. Which Advanced is missing? And Intermediates? One ormtwo events which had previously only run N added Int in the last couple of seasons so I guess that will help a bit...

Gamebird

Visit site
Just a thought (and I don't know the answer): do a lot of horses run at CIC3* level now instead of advanced? There seem to be a lot more CIC3*s year on year and I have noticed that a lot of horses at that level rarely run in national classes now, almost entirely in FEI ones. Horses that would previously have had an Adv run before a 4* seem to use a CIC for this purpose. Is Adv vital for Qs or can you Q for CIC3* purely by the FEI route?

I get a (probably misinformed) feeling that Adv and IN are being eclipsed now by the increase of CIC3* and CIC* respectively.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
My feeling is that Advanced is being used less and less to prepare horses because in FEI terms it does not mean anything Q wise and most will have done a 2* and how much difference is there between a tough 2* and Aston advanced for instance?

The loss of two intermediates makes me sad as another kick to the ambitious amateur with additional travelling especially as most Intermediates are run on weekdays.

jess_asterix

Visit site
I hadn't looked at Advanced runs until this calender came out and was shocked by the lack of them.
I also didn't realise how few Intermediate runs there are, I am going to have to do quite alot of travelling next season!

TableDancer

Visit site
Re GB's point, I think there is a lot in what you say regarding Advanced classes - however, I'm not sure the same is true regarding INs: we did two this autumn and both were extremely well supported, and at Monmouth we are considering removing our poorly-supported ON section for next year (we also have a ONu18) and replacing it with an IN...

Gamebird

Visit site
Re GB's point, I think there is a lot in what you say regarding Advanced classes - however, I'm not sure the same is true regarding INs: we did two this autumn and both were extremely well supported, and at Monmouth we are considering removing our poorly-supported ON section for next year (we also have a ONu18) and replacing it with an IN...

http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-...=1&status=NotSet&map=1&year=2014&orderBy=date

Perhaps this map might show why we have different perspectives! There are 30 IN classes scheduled so far for 2014, but only 4 north of about Northampton. We used to have the choice to run IN at many, many venues - they just don't seem to happen 'up here' (and I now live in the southern half of the country, but still well north of Northampton!) any more. The last two I tried to enter were oversubscribed and I got balloted out so I don't really understand why they are disappearing except that at some places (Chatsworth and Floors to name but two) the IN disappeared and the CIC* appeared simultaneously. It's a shame as events that have Nov as their highest class could still run an IN - you just need a separate dressage arena/judge and an extra set of wings/poles to put a treble in the SJ if your Nov doesn't have one already. That and time and space in the schedule ;) ...