BE Grasshoppers SJ

helenandshadow

Visit site
Planning ahead slightly
blush.gif
but I've just noticed that there is Grasshoppers at Golden Cross in February, and I'm just down the road from GX so might go.

Just wondered if anyone had done it before and what they thought of it?
smile.gif

RLF

Visit site
I did the one at Cricklands a couple of years ago with William Blane, it was excellent, the course was well upto height and we had a great day, go for it.
grin.gif

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
I did it a couple of years ago at Blackdyke and really enjoyed it (despite the three hour drive to get there!). Definitely a good day out.

I'm really annoyed, though, that they're not running any up north at all this time round. We had one in Scotland and the one at Blackdyke in Cumbria, but nothing near at all this year. Shame, as I'd love to have done it again.

helenandshadow

Visit site
Thanks for your comments!
smile.gif
I probably will go then, will probs do the Intro as she's happily jumping BN and i'm hoping to do a couple of Intro's next summer! I think it would be good to get some comments on our SJ.
grin.gif

vic07

Visit site
I qualified one year for the final in the grass hoppers. It is quite useful but I found the instruction a bit vague. But not sure what more I could have expected. My horse was out for the first time after a holiday and was exceptionally naughty - turning himself inside out - think the judge didn't know what to say!

Also did the YERSJ. Which was pretty huge! The instruction was pretty terrible then though!

But I would definitely say try it as one tip learnt makes it a useful outing! It is a useful concept as you do a second round which gives you a chance to correct mistakes.

Emily99

Visit site
I did it at Royal Leisure in 2005 i think it was on my 148 with Lucy Thompson.. so i knew trainer was good.

I enjoyed it! pony struggled with the distance abit when it was put up for the judging round but i found it informative and beat my YO too!

dieseldog

Visit site
I did it a few years ago and I thought it was awful. There was the same set course for every competion - didn't matter if it fitted in the arena or not that was what you had to jump, (i ended up helping to build the course as no one had bothered doing it before we all got there) the distances weren't right as a consequence. No idea who the instructor was but her idea of showjumping was to go as fast as possible - typical eventer. It was really crap - but this was about 3 years ago so hopefully would have improved by now.

Heidi1

Visit site
I did it a number of years ago at Markfield, it was really good, can't remember who the judge was, but she was good and gave good feedback.... Go for it and jsut enjoy it....

Bossanova

Visit site
The new format looks interesting but I'm not going to waste my money personally- JAS is far more fun and has a better spread of classes

helenandshadow

Visit site
Thanks everyone!! Will go and see what it's like, hopefully it'll be good like most of you have said, if not then never mind!
[ QUOTE ]
Ill see you there then Helen
grin.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you taking Hattie? Which class are you doing?

Shrimp

Visit site
There are absolutely none by me
mad.gif
The closest one is 2 1/2 hours away and theres no chance of me travelling that far. Why do BE seem to be so South orientated?!

Hattikins

Visit site
Thistle TOTALLY agree with you - JAS wise i did one and the "big" pony riders won the Intro and PN that i did and some of their rounds were very average - really really annoying
mad.gif

Im hopefully taking Hattie and Fiddler and probably do the intro just because its nice and simple for them - although may persuade my mum so i can do the PN on Hattie
wink.gif

georgiegirl2

Visit site
I qualified with george for the grasshoppers finals when they ran them at windsor horse trials and have to say that I had heard the names of most of the top placings before! Nevermind we had a fab time going and was great to travel down there to compete. Not sure if I would do it again tho as I dont think the comments are all that particularly great - they ave a lot of people to judge so the comments are kept fairly short and sweet! You'd be better off investing in a couple of good jumping lessons instead if its advice your after!