Be grateful for your horse - Horse fatality at Tattersalls

CastleMouse

Visit site
Alberto Giugni's Catherston Defender died at the water combination today at Tattersalls. You hear and read about things like these happening, but when you see it all happen it hits you even harder.

I saw him during the dressage and in the stable yard on Thursday, and he was such a sweet horse. I was at the water complex when it happened. He awkwardly jumped into the water and fell, and he tried his hardest to get up but he just couldn't. When they put up screens I knew what was happening, and moments later there was a gun shot. I think everyone felt a chill down their spine, and Alberto was trying hard to keep himself together whilst his groom was in bits.

He'll be going home with one less horse on the lorry, so be grateful that you have your horses, no matter how badly behaved they are, at the end of the day you'll still be able to hug them.

I'm actually crying writing this, and the first thing I did when I got home was give Ali a big cuddle. I'm even more grateful to have him now.

only_me

Visit site
RIP

Having seen it happen, all i can say is that the ground team and the vets/horse ambulance were fantastic and it was dealt with very smoothly and efficiently. Unfortuntatley it was at the water fence (the main one) so there were hundreds of people watching, but screens were put up. After this tragic accident the ground team decided to remove the water jump from the course (after those held on course finished the rest of the course)

Thoughts with all concerned xx

AutumnRose

Visit site
What an awful, awful thing to happen. Cannot imagine how horrific it is to go home without your horse in the lorry.

Does make you think....even though i had a bit of a rubbish day, at least my pony is tucked up eating hay atm.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

RIP pony

k1963

Visit site
That's so sad . I agree , be thankful you & your horse are in one piece , even though he or she behaved badly / you weren't placed / you were eliminated , etc .

I know it doesn't sound very competitive , but the alternative is terrible .

k1963

Visit site
Sorry , that didn't read very well . I did not mean it was the riders fault whatsoever . Think I would give up judging after witnessing a fatality like that .

Sympathy to all involved .

Stateside

Visit site
So very sorry to read this so close to Houghton.
When will someone say enough is enough.This cant be sport, when the courses are being built this badly.Yes Badly if so many horses and riders are killed,at so many events. one a year is to many. I doubt as many horses a year are killed out hunting when who knows what horse and rider will meet.There has to be something very wrong when a horse out on a cross counrty course can make a small mistake and it all end's in such trajedy.Wake up eventers and smell the coffee.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Its hard enough coming home with an empty lorry from the vets when you know that the time has come to say goodbye to your best friend, in this situation it must be heart breaking.

Thoughts are with all concerned.

only_me

Visit site
the course was VERY well built - and I think you will find that there are very few horse fatalities here.

A mistake can happen to anyone - the horse just landed awkwardly and tripped and fell - how the hell can a course designer stop that?!

Sorry stateside, but you have REALLY annoyed me by saying "wake up and smell the coffee" totally uncalled for and unnessscary.
mad.gif

Shrimp

Visit site
How horrible
frown.gif

I don't know if this is well known news but a horse also died at Arley last weekend, nothing to do with a fence, it just collapsed of a heart attack half way round. It was only 7 years old. Thankfully, unlike todays tradgedy, it was at the top of the hill mostly out of view and away from the spectators (inc lots of children) who were all crowded round the water so they did not have to witness anything. Again the horse ambulance and all involved were fantastic to sort everthing out very efficiently.

3BayGeldings

Visit site
Can i ask a question, and i hope this isn't deemed tactless, is it the norm to shoot an injured horse at an event/show? Or do they normally lethally inject? Or is the owner always given the choice?

k1963

Visit site
Good question to which I don't know the answer too either . If the horse is shot , couldn't a silencer be used ?

Stateside

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Good question to which I don't know the answer too either . If the horse is shot , couldn't a silencer be used ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Use a silencer to stop you hearing and all feeling guilty you mean.

At hickstead a horse died at the Derby Bank and stright away it's size was reduced. How many people and horses have to die before eventing WAKES UP.

worMy

www.katherinebegley.com
if you want to have this debate do it somewhere else some other time.

why don't you ''WAKE UP'' and realise this isnt the time or place for you feelings about eventing

clairel

Visit site
Stateside I'm afraid this is not the time or place for this sort of behaviour!

This was a pure accident and the same thing could have happened the horse in the field! It was dealt with very professionally.
I think perhaps you should be a little more respectful to those involved!

R.I.P Catherson Defender

rolyview

Visit site
RIP

I agree the ground team and the vets/horse ambulance were fantastic and it was delt with very smoothly. it was a terrible accident and something i hope i never have to see in the flesh again 'so to speak'.

my thoughts are with the owner,rider and the groom tonight
xxxxx

k1963

Visit site
No , not to stop me or others feling guilty - I would not like to hear gun noises & suspect other riders wouldn't either . Years ago , I went to a NH race meet & hav e never forgotten the sound of the gun going off - 4 times .
I dislike racing , but to each his own .

Yes , there have been controversial fences at events , but I was not at this event , so cannot comment ( Think it would be in poor taste if I did . )

Stateside

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if you want to have this debate do it somewhere else some other time.

why don't you ''WAKE UP'' and realise this isnt the time or place for you feelings about eventing

[/ QUOTE ]

When is a good time it seems there is not a week goes by that a rider or horse sadly die's.And this the Ideal place.
It has now got to stage that to many deaths are happening that something must be looked at. Why is the Eventing world burying it's heads in the sand over this. They have got it wrong , so why dont they do something about it.

diggerbez

Visit site
with the greatest respect stateside, i don't think the eventing world is hiding its head in the sand about these sorts of things. what there is a difference about is a genuine accident (what today sounds like- altho i wasn' there so can't say for sure) and questionable course building (belton and Ian's unfortunate accident springs to mind). its impossible to pigeon hole like you are trying to do. get kerrili to email you her letter to BE if you really think that eventers aren't aware there is an issue- BUT today seems to have been a genuine, unfortunate accident. and, as already said this is not the appropriate time or place.
mad.gif

3BayGeldings

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Use a silencer to stop you hearing and all feeling guilty you mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stateside don't try and manipulate a simple, curious question. Maybe start a different thread to vent your opinions?

Stateside

Visit site
Accidents around horses happen we all know that, but the amount of deaths among riders =Humans and horses in eventing is just not exceptable.If this amont of deaths happened in motor sport the tracks would be shut down untill they could prove big improvment had been made.

FrecklesMum

Visit site
First of all, RIP the horse in question, by the sounds of it, it was a very unfortunate accident where a horse landed wrong.

2nd- there are a lot of accidents that happen hunting but they are not reported because they are simpley accidents. Nothing can be done to stop a horse haveing a heart attack, putting its leg down a hole or quite simply getting it wrong at a fence.

3rd - a bolt gun is used to shot horses. There is no silence option but I can personally vouch for who quick and effective it is. Lethal injection takes a lot longer.

SmartieBean

Visit site
awww how tragic!! RIP
frown.gif
xx

This was sadly one of those freak accident but stateside i can see your point but please just imagine what it would be like for the owner, rider, grooms etc to read this thread becuase from my point of view you are making it look like it was the rider / course builders fault that this happened. Eventing is a dangerous sport and people understand this when they take up this aspect of the sport but continuos improvements are being made to reduce the number of fatalities but to keep pointing this out on a thread like this i think is quite unfair and completely agree with others saying to make a new thread elsewhere, this is a thread to pay respects to the horse who unfortunatley lost its life and to the owners who lost there horse not to point out all the faults of the horse sport.
frown.gif