"Be-nice" halters

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Having just shelled out what seems to have been an extraordinary amount for a bit of rope with brass buckles, I would be keen to hear any success stories. Spring has been a madam since I went away for the weekend and tried to cart me this morning on the way back from the field, with no chiffney on but having hold of the Be-Nice I managed to stop her in her tracks from a gallop! Beginning to feel it may be worth the money!! She certainly looked pretty surprised! Lol!!

So has it been a good investment for you? What habits has it helped with? Or do you think that they are just a gimick?!

Edit to say: I understand how they work, just wanted real-life stories. Thanks.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Well they are not that expensive!

I have used one for years - originally to stop polo ponies breaking away. Then used on a hanoverian mare who didn't want to go in the trailer (not scared).

I have to say I've swapped to duallys now, as I think Monty's technique for loading has worked better than Kelly's on my horses (On saying that my handling has improved and Kelly's technique was easier to start with).

My Be nice is now quietly rusting in a corner in the barn (yes they do rust!)

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Storm (16.2hh Hano mare built like a brick sh1t house) used to be a complete cow to do anything with, if you were trying to lead her to or from the field she would frequently just decide to piss off and because I only had a headcollar on her there wasn't a damn thing I could do to stop her. Now the thought of having all of my weight on that headcollar is a tad off putting and she's a good girl now........Well, most of the time
tongue.gif
I also use it to load unwilling horses and it works and do various other bits and pieces like that.

kat
xx

rrose

Visit site
my mum has one which she used on her mare as she did not like loading into trailers. she used it a couple of times and she went straight in. since then she never used it again and loaded fine in headcollar.

i also used it on my mare to stop her from pulling backwards and trying to rear although this was not as succesful but i do have more control.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Thanks, thats exactly what Spring will do if she has her silly head on. Also she will plant her feet and reverse with me so I am hoping it will help with that also. I have to admit I was pretty impressed with the response I got this morning!

Do you use yours all the time or just when you think she might need it? Do you give her regular "lessons" with it on?

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I thought £30 was a lot of money really, but judging by my mare's response I think it may be money well spent!!

I looked at the Dually headcollar, but went with the Be-Nice because as far as I can tell it will be better for making her go forwards as the poll pressure is greater. She will on occaision plant her feet and refuse to move or reverse at speed, the under the chin configuration I think will work better for helping me out with this.

Beanyowner

Visit site
Benson used to be a bit of a s**t for loading...would get half way up the ramp and stand stock still. Can't put and pressure on him from behind as he just shoots off backwards.
Bought a be nice halter and he loads everytime now...even if he protests I just put pressure on the halter and he wanders striaght up the ramp. Have also found it useful when he is being strong going to the field etc...love them...well worth the purchase in my opinion!
laugh.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
As she is at home now I don't use it. there nothing about that will really wind her up (she gets wound up very easily and when she gets in a state she just ignores you) If we are going somewhere new in a lorry I will use it,, if she's been stuck in the box for more than 24 hours and she's likely to be a cow I'll pop it on. I ony use mine in situations where I think she'll ignore me. I don't give her regular lessons in it because I don't think she needs them, one sharp yank on the headcollar is usually enough to remind her that she behaves or she has me hanging off the halter
smirk.gif

Kat
xx

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I am glad the general consensus is good, you do sometimes wonder how much you are being ripped off with these things
smirk.gif
But I feel quite satisfied that it was a worthy purchase even if my bank balance doesn't agree!

It sounds as though Benson is similar to Spring, especially with the loading so it should help me there too.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Thanks Kat. I had pretty much got her leading sorted, but I went away for the weekend and the person doing her let her get away from her in the field so she is now trying it on somehting chronic! I am hoping a few weeks in this and we can go back to the normal headcollar and only use this in scary situations!

Beanyowner

Visit site
Its just important to train the horse how it is used...the few people I know who have not really got on with it have just flung it on and expected it to work straight away. You have to train them to know that putting pressure on is their signal to walk forwards.
Even when Benson had it on to start with it still took me a couple of attempt to get him on the truck..he just had to learn...now he knows and we have no problems at all!
grin.gif

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
When I first bought her we did a lot of "manners" training, teaching her to walk on, stop, back up, move over when I asked her to and she has been pretty good up until now. She is throwing her weight around at the minute as she had a little break and I went away, but hopefully a few sessions with the Be-Nice will get her back to normal. She is a lamb to handle once away from the field, she just has an attitude about leaving it at the moment
smirk.gif

jj_87

Visit site
I couldn't have survived without one! My old NF x used to plant her feet and would not budge coming down the road from the feild. Went to see Kelly Marks and asked her if it would help she demonstated how to use one and gave me her number to ring if i had any worries! We had one pony who would now come down the lane and was therefore able to be messed with and fed
smile.gif
When i loaned her out i didnt even need it on to walk her down the lane and into the box she was a little star! Deffo reccomend them!

Faithkat

Visit site
Haven't used one myself but a very good friend has on her Arab mare who was a pig to load. Friend resorted to "be nice" halter and after some initial "arguments" the mare now loads without any problems and, apparently, she only has to be shown the halter and she runs up the trailer ramp!! So I would say that they are most definitely effective - she swears by it!!