Be Nice Halter's

S_N

Visit site
Anyone use(d) one of these? What do you think about them? I mean the Monty ones with the metal pressure points that go over the poll! Not the plain rope ones.

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I mean the Monty ones with the metal pressure points that go over the poll!

[/ QUOTE ] Are you sure they have metal pressure points? I saw a Be Nice the other day and it didn't have metal pressure points (but definitely said Be Nice on the label)
confused.gif

Chex

Visit site
I used one for loading Chex, it worked really well. I usually turned the metal lumps over though (so they weren't against his head), unless we were having a serious problem.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I mean the Monty ones with the metal pressure points that go over the poll!

[/ QUOTE ] Are you sure they have metal pressure points? I saw a Be Nice the other day and it didn't have metal pressure points (but definitely said Be Nice on the label)
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I am quite sure!

TGM

Visit site
I wonder if they have changed the design at any point then, as the one I saw definitely didn't have them
confused.gif
Have heard varying opinions on the poll pressure points - one person told me they were the most effective form of halter and someone else told me to avoid them!

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
I have one for Spring and it is the best piece of equipment I own. She plants her feet occaisionally and refuses to move or will try and p*ss off at high speed if she feel that way out! I have stopped her from a gallop with a be nice on and you know how big she is and I only weigh 9 stone soaking wet so it must be pretty effective! When she plants her feet or backs up (another of her tricks) I just keep the pressure on until she makes the decision to walk forward then I release it and reward her. She still tries it on but less now and I have the confidence that I can deal with whatever strop she throws when she is wearing it!
grin.gif

clipclop

Visit site
I would have to agre with Chex about turning the metal bits away from the head.

These can be quite severe if you get in a pickle.

Hindsight,,,marvellous thing
crazy.gif

I do swear by them for loading etc. Crikey, I haven't used mine for years. not sure if I still have it buried somewhere?
crazy.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
Well that is encouraging!! Though I think that the odds are currently stacked in my favour with regards to Hector! I bought one yesterday for him (big enough for him to grow into - it fits B too, not that she needs it, she's a good girl!). He's all pouty atm - HUGE bottom lip strops! Rooting to the ground with a look of "Computer says NOOooOoOo" He's a quick learner though - within 2 or 3 mins we came to a mutual agreement that behaving is GOOD
laugh.gif
I have renamed it the magic halter! I do however use it with a normal headcollar, with 2 leadropes - it is only back up! He is only a baby, even if if he is ginormous!!!

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
I couldn't live without mine!!!!!!!!!!

We have 1200 pigs on the farm and access to the paddocks and school is right, and I mean RIGHT, past the pigs.
Obviously the horses get used to them and end up sniffing a 'Good Morning' to them but when I have horses in for training, it can be VERY useful to help 5' nothing me get them past safely!

I have also foung it invaluable in loading and Spider learnt to lead nicely in one.

You must stick rigidly to the principle of pressure and reward by release though.

The horse has to learn that it can release the pressure itself by moving forwards and so is rewarded for the correct behaviour.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
Lol! Spring is the same, she just plants herself and looks down her nose at me as if to say "you can't make me move" and before the be nice then I couldn't without the help of a friend pushing her along behind! I love it and use a normal headcollar as well but it just means I have that extra bit of help should she throw an unexpected strop! I don't turn the metal bits away like someone else said and she is not sore or twitchy round her poll so don't think it can be causing too much harm. TBH she doesn't resist for long when I put pressure on the halter (30 secs max so far!!) and as soon as she decides to step forwards she gets the pressure released as a reward. She is very bright and it turns it around so that when she decides to do something wrong she puts herself in an uncomfortable position and when she chooses to do the right thing she removes the discomfort. I think particularly for intelligent horses this is the best form of training.

Good luck with Hector - I wish someone had put this much work into Springy's manners when she was a foaly!
smirk.gif

S_N

Visit site
Yeah, the first time he felt the pressure he REALLY planted! I didn't increase the pressure, I just maintained it - he took a step towards me and released the pressure himself! What I find remarkable about it, is that he is totally changed (well almost) when leading - he never has been particulary strong or obnoxious, but I am aware that I am the only person who can handle him with relative ease. I am taller and bigger than my Mum and he sent her flying when I was away, nothing nasty, he just spooked and she wasn't ready for it. He spooked today and tried to jump into my arms for safety, but one pull and he was like "ohh.... errrr.... OK....it wasn't really scarey anyway, I can handle it, I'm tough me". He's beginning to appreciate my space and his space - bit like that scene in Dirty Dancing
grin.gif
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Zebedee tried one on me and I behaved perfectly...
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm maybe I should keep Hector's to hand when you come again then
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
I'm certainly bringing it to Argentina!!! You need to BE NICE to me
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

L

lilym

the best £30 i've spent! excellent for loading a bargy lump of a cob, who uses any excuse to try and drag you off the side of the ramp!

clipertyplop

Visit site
the Be Nice halter can be very effective in the right hands..... but like anything else can also be called the Be nasty in the wrong hands ??????

acolvine

Visit site
The monty roberts halter is called the 'Dually'.
Works differently to the 'Be nice' halter. The 'be nice' is not so nice if used incorrectly or in the wrong hands. There is a big difference in getting a horse to do something to avoid pain rather than because it is asked to or not to in some cases.

With the Dually you can also get a dvd which teaches you have to how to correctly use it for training/schooling as well as loading. Would definitely recommend the dually. Check out Monty's website.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
The be nice doesn't cause pain, it applies pressure. I have checked my mare's poll after using it and she doesn't show any signs of discomfort in the area at all. Rather than have her pull against a chiffney I use the halter as I am reluctant to let her ruin her mouth by pulling and stropping about when being led.
I tried the Dually but it didn't help with my mare planting her feet and refusing to move, great for when they tank off but that's not my major problem. As a post on here by Chambon testifies, even a normal headcollar in the wrong hands can cause harm.

Zebedee

Visit site
What needs to be taken on board here is that the 'Be Nice' is a suggestion to the horse -could just as well be called 'Be Nice or Else! They work on the theory that the realease of the pressure is in itself an instant reward - the moment they stop heading in the wrong direction the pressure realeases, & doing as you want them puts them in their comfort zone.
As has already been noted they are an extremely useful tool, and can be used to resolve a variety of different handling problems quickly & easily.

clipertyplop

Visit site
monty roberts used to promote the be-nice halter before the dually i have a benice halter and always load our cob with it he always has an agument with the normal headcoller first then on goes the benice then he goes straight on the box and personally if it stops a tonn of cob walking over the top of me then so be it

acolvine

Visit site
Apologies, please dont think i meant everyone out there using a 'be nice' is hurting their horse. My point was just that some halters can be uncomfortable and horses would rather do as they are asked to avoid the discomfort. The metal bits on some halters can't feel very nice.
The other thing to bear in mind is that the horses lower jaw has a very small piece of bone between the left and right side. Some halters have metal rings which tighten under the jaw so my point was just to be careful else they could cause damage or feel a bit sore.
The be nice when used correctly is a very useful tool as most of you have pointed out.
I think Monty's point is to do the ground work in the school with these tools before putting them into practise for loading and in problem situations.

Best of luck with your choice.

S_N

Visit site
I do appreciate what you say and I have to say that due to my colt only being a week shy of 8 months old, I am very aware of how much pressure I use and it's also why I use his normal headcollar as well. The metal bits on the one I have are very smooth and rounded - not like chopped off points like some I have seen! If I remember rightly, it also does not have the metal near the jaw that you mention.

As with the use of anything that is considered to be a training aid/method of restraint, I am taking my time in teaching him to accept it and to work out for himself what is acceptable behaviour. You can ask anyone who's met him what his manners are like (MFH_09, Alibabe, PapaFrita to name a few), they are actually quite good, but he does get a bit too big for his boots occassionaly. I very much doubt that I will need to use it for loading with him (I say this as it seems to be the time when most people have cause to use these halters) - he is keener to leap on board and go to a party than his Mother is
laugh.gif

Gingernags

Visit site
I have one, I tend to use it to turn Asti out on a morning, as she can pull and be quite strong, or try tog et her head down for grass, and when you are leading 3 of the b*ggers at the same time, its not ideal if she's dragging me all over!

Works every time, she pulls a bit, realises she has the be nice on, and decides to be good!

Wouldn't hesitate to use it on any bargy horse.

flyingfeet

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
monty roberts used to promote the be-nice halter before the dually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Monty never promoted the Be Nice, but Kelly Marks does.

I have both and its fair to say you can short cut training with a Be Nice, however if you can get a horse working well with a Dually you ultimately have a better schooled horse.

Also there is a temptation to tie a horse up with a Be Nice (rightly or wrongly I used one to stop a horse that persistantly broke away when tied up). With a Dually you can tie up in the barn / trailer safely without a need for a second halter.