BE Novice. What would you call it..........???

punk

Visit site
As in the title really!!

Are you tired of explaing to non-horsey friends that Novice doesn't really mean that you are jumping cross poles on the ground!!
confused.gif
grin.gif

When BE named the class Novice (back in the Dark Ages when I started eventing!) it was their lowest class. There was only Novice, Intermediate and Advanced.
Now that there are lower classes, which have already been re-named, perhaps it is time to describe the 'Novices' more appropriately?

So - thinking caps on please!!!!!!

Preliminary (USA equivelant level) also sounds a bit weak to me, and the 'P' in schedules could get confused with Pony classes or 'Plus' classes.

How about MEDIUM?

Any bright ideas?
grin.gif
grin.gif

only_me

Visit site
I cannot for the life of me explain the names to my dad
tongue.gif

try this - here CNC* is novice level eventing ireland, CIC* and CCI* are international events.

Then pony club i compete at OPEN not "novice" as "novice" pony club is intro at eventing ireland.

Open pony club is also called "members" down south
tongue.gif

"intermediate" pony club is NOT the same as Intermediate eventing ireland (which is also CNC**).

If I compete CNC* or Novice eventing ireland, i cannot compete "intermediate" pony club, but i can still compete intermediate eventing ireland.

He still dosent get it, and see when i try to explain qualifying rules to him....?!
tongue.gif

ahh well, I am all up for a change of names, how about BE110?
tongue.gif

lol i would be happy for some uniformity really, too many confusing names for the same thing
tongue.gif

how about levels? ie. training is level 1, intro level 2, PN level 3 etc.

punk

Visit site
I agree Thistle - although I find them difficult to read when all strung out in the schedules - have to find my glasses!!!!!!!
shocked.gif

I also agree that levels - 1, 2, 3 etc are simpler, but then WHERE WOULD THEY GO when they - inevitably - add the BE70 and BE60????
confused.gif
-1, -2 etc????
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

chester1234

www.lkequestrian.com
I just explain it as "novice to affiliated eventing. If it's like you driving at the top of your tree round the go kart circuit on a sunday afternoon with your local group, but once you enter the world of registered racing you go back to the bottom."

kerilli

Visit site
i think "Medium" is too vague as well.
I like Continuing or Developing, i think.
I agree that Preliminary or Progressive would be a problem because of confusion over the initial letter, with Pony trials.
Maybe it should just be called BE(110) to clear up all confusion.
Or, Advanced could be Level 1, Intermediate Level 2, and so on downwards, allowing BE to add as many as they like at the lower levels. BE(30) anyone?! Except that that's the opposite way to how most levels are done, usually the highest is the best. hmm.

Nando

Visit site
Stumped on this one! Whatever name I come up with still doesn't adequately reflect the difficulty of the levels.

Same prob really exists within the BSJA - I mean newcomers for example provokes images of complete muppetry on a horse! Guess we will just have to stick with the long explanation of the levels to non horsey peeps....and still get the blank expressions!!

3BayGeldings

Visit site
Or...

Training/BE80 = Tshhht, Easy peasy!
Intro/BE90 = Why Not?
PreNovice/BE100 =I'll Give It A Go
Novice = What The Hell, I Can Always Shut My Eyes
Intermediate = Are You Serious?!
Advanced = Bugger Off - No Sodding Chance!

grin.gif

punk

Visit site
LOL !!!
grin.gif

Mystery Girl and Just Helen - You really made me laugh out loud!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just got in from an evening out, and that was GREAT!!!

...goes off to bed giggling ....up at 5 to get to Eglinton in the morning....giggle ...giggle
grin.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
tongue.gif