BE report (but from a spectator's view) - was VERY impressed

teapot

Visit site
Have followed eventing for a while, even before I knew people who are out as much as they can be competing but was first time I've ever gone to watch.

Was really impressed with how friendly everyone is - think I chatted to every fence judge whilst walking the course (anyone at Mattingley yesterday?) And just how well run it was and the catering was goodddd
grin.gif

If I ever start driving/pass test/get a car - would definately be up for volunteering etc. Just made a really nice day out.

Even better was that mate who I went to watch, completed and was mega chuffed; plus YM won her section too

wodger_woo

Visit site
That was the thing that drew me into eventing as well the friendliness of it. I used to groom for a friend and I remember one day she had forgotten her body armour, loads of people offered to lend her theirs.

Another day she had real trouble stopping her horse in the SJ. She was really worried about going XC and was going to withdraw but the bloke in the lorry next to her lent her a stronger bit.

Fiona

Visit site
Wouldn't have got much chat out of any of our fence judges last Saturday (but it was pouring with rain at the time). Mostly is v friendly sport I find esp among the amateur contingent.
Not saying at all that pro's aren't friendly, or wouldn't offer advice if asked, but just pressure of time involved in riding half a dozen horses and talking to all their owners.

Fiona

lizzie_liz

Visit site
was at fence judge there on the sunday and we had 2 falls at our fence, we thought it wouldn't cause that many problems but hey thats horses for you. but thankfully both riders were fine.
it is a very friendly sport and people are all willing to help somebody else.
mattingly were giving all fence judges 2 jars of honey for their help, oh and their cakes are sooo nice that we got fed, good incentive for coming back to help

Suzy

Visit site
Hi Lizzie -were you at fence 5? I couldn't believe there were a couple of falls there - it seemed such an inviting fence. What was the cause? One of them was two horses before me and returned to the start pretty speedily!

Mind you, could have had my own accident as my girl got very competitive and cut in front of the tree - everyone else I saw decided it would be safer to go round!!!

Suzy

Visit site
Glad one of us did then! I've been trying to get her to go a bit quicker xc, and she suddenly got the idea! Every other time out we've been about 11 secs over, but on Sunday was about 25 secs under! The commentator commented that I was the first person to cut in front of tree and canter - wasn't planned though!!