BE update re working towards how to run events once they can restart.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
BE have issued a sort of working protocol for how they anticipate events can be run during the pandemic, once permission to re start is given. (It is not yet the green light for competitions to restart, of course, but they are guidelines on how they could be run if lockdown is further eased.).

Some interesting ideas.

https://www.britisheventing.com/news/ceo-update-18th-may-2020

D53DBA45-4B76-47DC-9846-4CBA6D898444.jpeg

8235B543-4828-472B-958A-B19F2399D4B5.jpeg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
there was lots of chatter about the no dogs rule yesterday

it's encouraging that we're getting to the stage of thinking about how to get restarted. I don't know about BS but I know BD have been doing similar. I think the judges still have lots of concerns though.

paddi22

Visit site
I wonder will entry fees have to rocket up to cover the reduced number of entries allowed?

Lexi_

Visit site
Really interesting! Thanks for sharing - I’ve been keeping an eye on BE emails but either they haven’t sent that out yet or I’ve totally missed it.

I know it’s an impossible question but what date do you all think we might start seeing events from? All my fence judging has been cancelled so far except Barbury and I’d be kinda surprised if that went ahead given it’s only 6 weeks away. Not sure if it’s even viable to run that sort of bigger one day with no tradestands etc...

Bernster

Visit site
I’ve seen some of the reaction re dogs, particularly for volunteers (judges) - not sure why dogs (only on leads perhaps) are considered an unnec risk?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Thanks for sharing, it all sounds quite sensible. Although lack of trade stands and reduced numbers plus extra staff for visitor, time and distancing control might mean many don't see it as economically viable.

Reactions: PSD

Parrotperson

Visit site
can't see how any venue can make money now so expect a lot of venues to give up? Can't see how Burghley can run with spectators so will effectively run at a loss? Plus unless advanced horses start getting runs soon it would be dangerous to run a five star?

ihatework

Visit site
I’m not convinced how many events will be able to break even on reduced entries.

Im certainly not rushing bringing mine back to galloping yet.

I might plan for September just to give time to see how things pan out

Mule

Visit site
I’ve seen some of the reaction re dogs, particularly for volunteers (judges) - not sure why dogs (only on leads perhaps) are considered an unnec risk?
Maybe they are taking advantage of the current situation to be more restrictive on people bringing dogs.

Squeak

Visit site
I was really disappointed to see so many negative comments on FB about it. It's making the best of a bad situation and if we manage to get any events it would be amazing - we all know it's not going to be perfect.

Re dogs - my guess is that it's to do with knowing that animals can have the germs on their coats etc if they've been touched by someone who has it and if they ran up to someone or another dog or brushed against a surface then they could transfer it. From the amount of loose dogs we see at horse trials (Badminton!!!) it could be a bit too big an assumption/ risk that people would manage to keep them away from people, dogs and objects at all times.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Maybe they are taking advantage of the current situation to be more restrictive on people bringing dogs.
They can try but I won’t work eventing is an expensive form of fun and it does not take much extra hassle added for people just to stop there’s no way I would fence judge if I had to sort someone to sort the dog at home .

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The no dogs rule restricts the pool of volunteers and makes little sense from a transmission point of view. Don't know why an equine travelling companion is a problem either but perhaps I am missing the logic of it.

It is a logistical nightmare. Not easy to get right and I'm very glad it's not my job to try.

Show jumping is a lot easier I think.

Roxylola

Visit site
I can understand it, but it will mean I'm out for the foreseeable. I dont tow and have no car if I did, I could hire a box but even so my owner would want to come and as a single mum she'd have to bring kids at the moment, her family normally help with child care but current rules make that difficult/impossible. Volunteering actually might still be possible, I normally would want to take the dogs, but that's because I'm out monday to friday, I'm now working from home so with them more generally. And as I work they've got the dog flap and are pretty independent really. I'd be disappointed but not totally unable to do a bit

Goldenstar

Visit site
Reduced number of bodies with ability to move makes sense to me. Species not so relevant ;)

Oh I am not saying it does not make sense I am saying it’s going to give them big issues finding enough people to help.
There’s also the added thing when you stop doing horse stuff when you are older you realise there’s a whole world out there where you do your garden potter about enjoying stuff and you Don’t have to run about from six am pretending you feel like you did when you where thirty so many of friends have been expressing this feeling.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I hadn’t even considered that the ‘no dogs’ rule would be so divisive, I think that it is a sensible stipulation. I don’t take ours anyway when I volunteer, they are much happier left at home. But I suppose that a lot of fellow fence judges do bring theirs, not to mention all the competitors that do.

But then I suppose that the ‘no refreshments’ rule would mean no bacon butties at the XC briefing :oops:. Oh heck, that would be me out, then :D.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I honestly hope the no dogs rule will remain, no need for it and so dangerous whenever they get loose (which is regular). For me, events this year wouldn't be a fun day out so I'm holding off til next year when hopefully things are back to normal. Think there's only 2 BE events in Scotland not cancelled this year, whats the point.

honetpot

Visit site
I am near a small event centre, I pop down for an hour or so and take my dog, buy an ice cream, coffee and perhaps something else that catchs my eye. I can not see how me taking a dog on a lead increases the transmission risk of CV. Now if I am sat in a car or box doing dressage writing, jump judging or lifting poles with someone I have never met, that does.
Takeaway vans are already trading from sites, as to social distancing you just spray some marking spray on the grass and use a ticket system/telephone ordering system for orders. Now loos are a bigger problem because there are more contact points and should need more frequent cleaning.
I can not see the problem with 'family' groups, and I would encourage each group to have a First Aider and at least have an emergency PPE box and hygeine supplies.
My husbands gliding club is going through developing a policey, it takes two to three people to rig some planes, which means I may have to learn.
The show centres are going to have get some income somehow, perhaps there will be more indoor events. Looking at the rock hard ground it could be a blessing.

Mule

Visit site
I honestly hope the no dogs rule will remain, no need for it and so dangerous whenever they get loose (which is regular). For me, events this year wouldn't be a fun day out so I'm holding off til next year when hopefully things are back to normal. Think there's only 2 BE events in Scotland not cancelled this year, whats the point.
If they were kept on leads it would be fine but there's always someone who lets them run around loose.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I thought the idea to avoid having family groups attending for now was to keep the overall numbers on site down, for instance if there is a max number of people permitted to gather for a sporting event. Having loads of taggers-along would reduce the number of competitors you could admit.

honetpot

Visit site
If they were kept on leads it would be fine but there's always someone who lets them run around loose.
The risks assesment is supposed to based on CV, the greatest risk factor is human transmission, the risk from dogs has not really changed. The main points should be how to maintain social distancing, reducing contact points, risk assesment for First Aid, and providing equipment to keep officials safe.
I would be more worried by someone who didn't have a supply of hand santiser or use it or mask when within two metres of me than a dog that may or may not get loose, and I may or may not touch.

Mule

Visit site
The risks assesment is supposed to based on CV, the greatest risk factor is human transmission, the risk from dogs has not really changed. The main points should be how to maintain social distancing, reducing contact points, risk assesment for First Aid, and providing equipment to keep officials safe.
I would be more worried by someone who didn't have a supply of hand santiser or use it or mask when within two metres of me than a dog that may or may not get loose, and I may or may not touch.
I was talking about them chasing horses on the course

Reactions: TPO

honetpot

Visit site
I was talking about them chasing horses on the course

Hasn't that risk always been there, and seen as most if not all of the people there will be competing they have a vested interest in keeping them on a lead, and under control I would have thought, so the risk should be less.

I just wonder how they will get officials. Most shows and events the people who have the time to help the most are retired, when I help at events I want a nice day out with no complications, in theory the local show centre owes me hours in free arena hire which I will never use.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
BE has caved in and removed the ‘no dogs’ restriction for when they restart.

What about dogs?
Overwhelming feedback has been that you still want to be able to take your dogs to an event. We have listened, and the next release of guidance will reflect this. Whilst there is a risk, in terms of handling of loose dogs it is felt this can be sufficiently managed on event by the organiser and officials to minimise this.

The potential resumption date is now put at July 4th

Wheels

Visit site
Dressage ireland are looking to restart in mid june - members were asked whether they would attend a show on 16th as they needed to limit numbers

Fanatical

Visit site
I honestly think they are going to struggle. It will be down to individual venues to decide and I really can't see most being profitable with less competitors per day, no spectators (paying to get in) and no tradestands (who pay the venue for their pitch). Most won't be financially viable.

Somerford have just cancelled their international and I am not surprised. I am kind of in the club of 'if you can't do it properly, don't do it at all'. As an eventer through and through - it is my absolute passion, I still would rather BE canned this year and start again next year (hopefully!). BS and BD should be able to get going in a normal-ish fashion much sooner.

Lexi_

Visit site
Oh I hadn’t seen the Somerford news - can’t say I’m surprised though.

The BE update was nice and clear and well thought out but it remains to be seen how viable it is for most events to run. Guess we’ll see when the cancellation notifications trickle in.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Obviously my season is over befire it began but I'd like Dolly to get out. Eland have started Clear Round XC which looks fun.

Roxylola

Visit site
Obviously my season is over befire it began but I'd like Dolly to get out. Eland have started Clear Round XC which looks fun.
My friend went last week, said the SJ was definitely up to height, but she had a great time and would recommend it.
Edit, that's a total lie. She went to Kelsall ?‍♀️