BE- Volunteering- Events that look after their helpers?

HuggyBear

Visit site
Not strictly competition, but you gutsy ones who compete on the BE circuit might have a good idea.

Having volunteered at a few events this season already; you notice the clear difference between events that really look after thier volunteers and those who, to be frank, leave us a bit cold!

So I just wanted to ask any tips on places to put my name down to volunteer that you know have a good set up and are welcoming to us little volunteers like myself? Any options from anywhere in the country (I am happy to travel and enjoy making them into weekends away, so don't mind distances as I stay over.)

Mickeymoo

Visit site
We fence judged at Draycott on Saturday and I must say they couldn't do enough for us.

Breakfast was sausage or bacon cob with tea or coffee. Packed lunch, cob, crisps, drink, cake and piece of friut. Flask of hot water and tea and coffee. Goodies bought round in the afternoon. Bottled water bought round at regular intervals. Sunscreen on offer as required. And we all got a voucher for a xc schooling session.

All staff were really greateful and couldn't thank us enough for helping.

BEVol

Visit site
Not sure how far you would travel but my recommendations would be;

Milton Keynes - they get 5 stars for how well volunteers are looked after! always the same! Weston Park and Brand Hall are close behind.
Purston, very well looked after, very friendly event
Same with Tweseldown, Goring Heath and BCA.

I do on average 30 days a year for BE, there are some events you would do well to avoid, PM me if you would like more details!

yeeharider

Visit site
Have fence judged at Aske for the last 4 years camp over in the horsebox park you get well looked after at breakfast/briefing meeting hot tea and sandwiches at intervals throughout the day taken out for tea in the evening and keepsake gifts what more do you need???:D:D:D

HuggyBear

Visit site
Stockland Lovell normally looks after their volunteers well from what I am told. I.E. lovely lunches etc. Their next one is 16/17th July and they norm always after volunteers :)

Cheers! Noted.:)

And we all got a voucher for a xc schooling session.

:eek: Next year, I am going there!

Not sure how far you would travel but my recommendations would be;

Milton Keynes - they get 5 stars for how well volunteers are looked after! always the same! Weston Park and Brand Hall are close behind.
Purston, very well looked after, very friendly event
Same with Tweseldown, Goring Heath and BCA.

I do on average 30 days a year for BE, there are some events you would do well to avoid, PM me if you would like more details!

Definitely will PM! I was just at Brand Hall this weekend, funnily enough. However, I can't testify to the lunches...I was on my own at a fence yesterday so never actually got around to eating it and my partner in crime today ate all of mine whilst I was on the walkie talkie. Motto to self: Never take along family members to keep you company fence judging when all they will do is sit and eat all your food! :rolleyes:

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Dauntsey and Hatherleigh are both great. The later particularly supplies endless homemade food to the extent last year dsepite working hard as SJing steward I went home having put weight on!

HuggyBear

Visit site
Have fence judged at Aske for the last 4 years camp over in the horsebox park you get well looked after at breakfast/briefing meeting hot tea and sandwiches at intervals throughout the day taken out for tea in the evening and keepsake gifts what more do you need???:D:D:D

Will definitely have try and get to one of thier events this year if I can!

HuggyBear

Visit site
Dauntsey and Hatherleigh are both great. The later particularly supplies endless homemade food to the extent last year dsepite working hard as SJing steward I went home having put weight on!

Sounds my type of place!:D:eek:

Thanks everyone.

I am noting these recommendations down. It is very much appreciated.:)

trottingon

Visit site
I can vouch for Kelsall Hill and Somerford Park, both up in Cheshire. Very well fed and watered all day long! And you get either a farm ride voucher or a bottle of wine to take home.

Mildred

Visit site
Wilton! Bacon sandwiches, unlimited coffee and tea, fantastic lunch. We've been in the scorer's tent for years, it's brill!

dieseldog

Visit site
West Wilts do an amazing lunch, with really nice puddings. And of course you get bacon sarnies in the morning. I also only had to do it for a morning.

Custard Cream

Visit site
If you fancy a jaunt up north then I can fully recommend Hutton and Cumwhinton. They Weymouths are excellent organisers and you are more than looked after. Aske also excellent. We're off to do Blair in August, our first 3 star. Just had the info and they asked our t shirt sizes as we get some Joules tops!

Pidgeon

Visit site
Stafford, super to their volunteers, bacon butties and hot drinks for breakfast. Baguettes or pasta salad, crisps, fruit, choc bar, cake, cold and hot drinks for lunch. Constantly checking and coming round to check ok and top ups as necessary, even ferry you to the loo if you are far away ;). Then have a slice of cake in the afternoon, plus a box of chocs of wine to say thank you. Nibbles and drinks afterwards and a free go round the course for you and a friend on the Monday, ground permitting. On top of being looked after exceptionally well everyone there is so nice and friendly :D
Weston Park too is another event where you are looked after very well, lovely lunch and constantly coming round with drinks and biscuits throughout the day :D Bottle of wine to say thanks afterwards, ooh and the chance to see all the Advanced action XC close up :)

jess_asterix

Visit site
Stafford were really good this year!

Bacon butties/Sausage for brekkie, lovely lunch (pasta/sandwiches/crisps/chocolate/drink etc!), choclates all day, hot drinks and water all day.

Bottle of lovely Rose wine to take home along with a free XC schooling with a +1 able to come along for free to :)

Also of course guaranteed entry if the event ballots!

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
can't vouch for the lunh but one year I did a morning dressage stewarding at Larkhill and they gave me an easter egg for my troubles, I was CHUFFED (little things n' all that!) ;)

blakesmum

Visit site
Stockland Lovell normally looks after their volunteers well from what I am told. I.E. lovely lunches etc. Their next one is 16/17th July and they norm always after volunteers :)

They certainly do look after their volunteers very well, fab lunches, tea, coffee and cakes during breaks. Oh and a lovely letter of thanks along with a voucher to be used for XC/arena hire/saddlery in the post the week after the event. I would heartly recommend them to anyone wanting to volunteer. There are many venues who could take a leaf out of their books.

VoR

Visit site
They certainly do look after their volunteers very well, fab lunches, tea, coffee and cakes during breaks. Oh and a lovely letter of thanks along with a voucher to be used for XC/arena hire/saddlery in the post the week after the event. I would heartly recommend them to anyone wanting to volunteer. There are many venues who could take a leaf out of their books.

Have to agree (but then I might be biased!!!) :D All the above is true and there is usually a cold beverage at the end of the day for those who want one ;) Oh and the XC control/commentary team are really nice :cool::D

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Hopefully the volunteers at Little Downham felt well looked after! All the catering team have until recently been on the other side of the counter so we tried hard to make sure there was plenty of food and drink. Fence judges got bacon rolls and tea / coffee before the briefing, then their choice of baguettes, cakes, crisps, biscuits, drinks, fruit to take with them. We managed 3 tea / coffee / snack runs on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. SJ control, XC control, XC starters etc had their own tea and coffee making equipment (refreshed with extra hot water through the day) and were taken a plated meal (proper china!) of their choice from poached salmon, baked gammon, vegetarian quiches (home made) as well as new potatoes, and various salads, then there was a choice of three puds and cheese and biscuits and fruit. Tea coffee and wine were available for those who were coming in to sit down for their lunch - the dressage crew and the scorers - as well as the food previously mentioned.

At the end of the day there was more tea, coffee, wine, strawberry cream scones and little cakes and as a thank you every one is offered a choice of bottles of wine or a schooling voucher as well as our gratitude for making it possible to hold such an event!

As ever there are some moaners - like those who are told that the plated lunch won't be ready until 11.50 but insist that they are special and need theirs at 11.10, even though they are not busy until 12.30 (and have only a few yards to travel before they're where they need to be). Sorry to the lady who had a rant about it in the loos only to find that when she went for her threatened rant to the catering staff the person asking what she'd like to eat (it by now being 11.50) was the person she'd been sounding off to . . .

And my final whinge / observation: Running out of loo roll! As soon as we notice we refill BUT we're too busy to keep checking and it is not expected that if you put 18 fresh loorolls in the bogs at 8.30am they will all have vanished, cardboard tubes and all, by 10.30. Obviously a number of ar5eholes went into the bogs and nicked the paper to restock their lorries, rather than just using the appropriate number of sheets to wipe their behinds. Note to self: supply Tesco's cheapest rather than Andrex! I'm not trying to pin that on the volunteers though!

Last edited:

HuggyBear

Visit site
:D:D:D Blimey,you lot are just in it for the bacon sandwiches, well I reccomend the "smiths lawn" ones:D:D

:D:D

I can vouch for Kelsall Hill and Somerford Park, both up in Cheshire. Very well fed and watered all day long! And you get either a farm ride voucher or a bottle of wine to take home.

+

Wilton! Bacon sandwiches, unlimited coffee and tea, fantastic lunch. We've been in the scorer's tent for years, it's brill!

+

West Wilts do an amazing lunch, with really nice puddings. And of course you get bacon sarnies in the morning. I also only had to do it for a morning.

Thanks! :)

A friend and I also do Burghley and I have to say you are not looked after at all!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps because they are a big event, they think it is an "honour" to volunteer there and we should be grateful just to be involved....:rolleyes::p

We're off to do Blair in August, our first 3 star. Just had the info and they asked our t shirt sizes as we get some Joules tops!

Very nice! Hope you have a great time. Will have to look out for that next year!

Stafford, super to their volunteers, bacon butties and hot drinks for breakfast. Baguettes or pasta salad, crisps, fruit, choc bar, cake, cold and hot drinks for lunch. Constantly checking and coming round to check ok and top ups as necessary, even ferry you to the loo if you are far away ;). Then have a slice of cake in the afternoon, plus a box of chocs of wine to say thank you. Nibbles and drinks afterwards and a free go round the course for you and a friend on the Monday, ground permitting. On top of being looked after exceptionally well everyone there is so nice and friendly :D

+

Stafford were really good this year!

Bacon butties/Sausage for brekkie, lovely lunch (pasta/sandwiches/crisps/chocolate/drink etc!), choclates all day, hot drinks and water all day.

Bottle of lovely Rose wine to take home along with a free XC schooling with a +1 able to come along for free to :)

Also of course guaranteed entry if the event ballots!

I have my name down for the second Stafford in July. Looking forward to it! Going to be there all three days- If you are there, volunteering or competing, give me a heads up so I can say hello! :D

can't vouch for the lunh but one year I did a morning dressage stewarding at Larkhill and they gave me an easter egg for my troubles, I was CHUFFED (little things n' all that!) ;)

Haha. That would have cheered me up as well!

There are many venues who could take a leaf out of their books.

Agreed!

Oh and the XC control/commentary team are really nice :cool::D

When you are on the fences all day, a good XC control/commentary team does a world of good!

I mean, there is only so many times you can go through the A-Zs of the alphabet describing the way combinations go over a fence before you need to find some chuckles from somewhere else. Haha.:D

VoR

Visit site
As ever there are some moaners - like those who are told that the plated lunch won't be ready until 11.50 but insist that they are special and need theirs at 11.10, even though they are not busy until 12.30 (and have only a few yards to travel before they're where they need to be). Sorry to the lady who had a rant about it in the loos only to find that when she went for her threatened rant to the catering staff the person asking what she'd like to eat (it by now being 11.50) was the person she'd been sounding off to . . .

And my final whinge / observation: Running out of loo roll! As soon as we notice we refill BUT we're too busy to keep checking and it is not expected that if you put 18 fresh loorolls in the bogs at 8.30am they will all have vanished, cardboard tubes and all, by 10.30. Obviously a number of ar5eholes went into the bogs and nicked the paper to restock their lorries, rather than just using the appropriate number of sheets to wipe their behinds. Note to self: supply Tesco's cheapest rather than Andrex! I'm not trying to pin that on the volunteers though!

Ah you always get 'em jemima, you always get 'em :D

HuggyBear

Visit site
Hopefully the volunteers at Little Downham felt well looked after! All the catering team have until recently been on the other side of the counter so we tried hard to make sure there was plenty of food and drink. Fence judges got bacon rolls and tea / coffee before the briefing, then their choice of baguettes, cakes, crisps, biscuits, drinks, fruit to take with them. We managed 3 tea / coffee / snack runs on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. SJ control, XC control, XC starters etc had their own tea and coffee making equipment (refreshed with extra hot water through the day) and were taken a plated meal (proper china!) of their choice from poached salmon, baked gammon, vegetarian quiches (home made) as well as new potatoes, and various salads, then there was a choice of three puds and cheese and biscuits and fruit. Tea coffee and wine were available for those who were coming in to sit down for their lunch - the dressage crew and the scorers - as well as the food previously mentioned.

*Dribble*

At the end of the day there was more tea, coffee, wine, strawberry cream scones and little cakes and as a thank you every one is offered a choice of bottles of wine or a schooling voucher as well as our gratitude for making it possible to hold such an event!

I love the idea of giving schooling vouchers. I wish more places offered them.

Karma is a biatch.:D

I am still trying to get over the plated lunches bit! Gosh, I sound so incredibly obsessed with food. I assure you, it is only 90% of the time that food rules my life, horses and books take the other 10 %. :D

You just reminded me- I had a funny incident in the portoloo this weekend- You have to be careful with the hand sanitiser dispensers in some of them. They come out a lot more speedily and powerful than you would imagine....Cue me stumbling out of loo with a face covered with hand santiser after pressing the lever too strongly and it going EVERYWHERE! Haha.:D

Pidgeon

Visit site
HB - all being well should be competing at Stafford on the Sat and FJ on the Sunday :D
Jemima too - god some people are so tight, nicking toilet rolls whatever next :(

kerilli

Visit site
Little Downham was always good before so if it's improved it'll be exceptional!
I can't believe everyone nicking the loo rolls, that really is beyond the pale.
Apologies, couldn't be there to help at this one as mare and new foal needed my attendance.

BEVol

Visit site
Ah yes! a word of warning about portaloos. After dusk it is impossible to see once the door is closed. Make a mental note of the layout just in case it's a late finish. They are not the kind of place you want to frisk your way around, trust me!

Rana

Visit site
We do approx 30 days a year. Our favourites are:

Tweseldown
Mattingley (running unaffiliated this year)
Goring Heath
Dauntsey
Borde Hill
BCA
Salperton
Purston Manor
Burnham Beeches

Again, there's a few I would avoid so by all means PM if you'd like to know which ones! Don't forget to join the BE Volunteers group on Facebook if you're on there too.

sarah23

Visit site
Little Downham is good for looking after thier people.

I did Isleham this year for the first time and i won't be doing it again. sent out with a Packet of crisp and a drink. A small cup of soup for lunch.