beach

allijudd

Visit site
i took rowan to the beach last night (only a small one!) with 2 other horses so he could have some fun...jumped off just incase he freaked out which he did whilst the others had fun canter through the waves and doing lots of silly things..it took me all my time to get rowan about 4ft from the surf without him trying to jump into me...

result was dispite all efforts we ccame back more sweaty that the others and we hadnt done anything......
crazy.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Why didn't you just let him canter with the others?? Must have wound him up a treat seeing everyone else buggering off without him.

Lots of horses find the sea very disconcerting (sp) - it makes them dizzy looking at the waves - a bit like us really.

Next time you go down ask your friends to ride quietly with you so that he can get used to the idea of going up to the water and having a little paddle. It may take a few visits, but he'll get the hang of it.

K9Wendy

Visit site
Took my daughter to the beach on Sunday, she had spent 3 hours doing road safety test with PC (passed
smile.gif
) and they both needed a good gallop. She went down with 3 friends and once they hit the beach all the ponies wanted to do was have a good blast.

I watched as two of them tried to get the ponies into the water first, which is tough enough but concidering the others were having a great time up and down beach it was not surprising they won't go in. Bee is used to the beach and loves the sea, but she just loves to have her blast first, once that is over and done with she will wade in up to her belly and have a good old splash. Once all the kids decided fun first, water next ponies settled had a good gallop then all happily followed Bee into the water.

Once tired from the galloping around they walk quieter up the the water. Also choose shallow water, fewer waves & not a lot of seaweed as it makes it much easier, once in they seem to settle easy enough, it's the riders that seem to get seasick, don't look down, look ahead LOL..

allijudd

Visit site
we actually had trouble with him walking on the sand......it was that he didnt like...his back end kept goin from underneath him.....

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
we actually had trouble with him walking on the sand......it was that he didnt like...his back end kept goin from underneath him.....

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, that can be a little unnerving for them - the movement of the sand can feel quit odd I think for some horses.