beaten up

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I'm really worried about my horse. I keep her at a yard and she is turned out with other horses at the same yard. Anyway, recently when I've been getting her in I've been noticing that she is covered in kick marks. I realise as a mare she's probably got issues with her place in the herd but her legs are in a real state. I have heard about turn out boots - do these work? can you get them for hind legs? Her hind legs are the main problem, as no marks anywhere else. I'm worried she might find boots annoying and try to get them off. Recently she had a lump on one of her back legs. Yard owner said it was wear and tear of her legs from her huntin days, but to me it looke like a splint. Its soft to touch but has seemed to get harder. Once from kicks she went lame. I'm so worried. Has anyone got any advice? The other day she came in bleeding from the field.
frown.gif
frown.gif
luckily not lame, but still worried.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Can she not be turned out in a smaller group?

Your yard owner should be more sympathetic and be trying to help out, and it sounds asif she's trying to brush it under the carpet.
Can you change yards?

tigers_eye

Visit site
This sounds unusual, mares are usually much better at finding their place in the herd. Can you maybe spend an hour watching unobtrusively to see if you caan pin-point the problem? Turnout boots that are marketed as such are usually for preventing mud-fever, they don't offer much protection from knocks. Maybe invest in a pair of good cross-country boots (not leather ones if in the field everyday!)?

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I have watched her in the field and she seems to get on with geldings fine, but three other mares are very dominant and seem to find her some kind of threat. she just sometimes stands there, and she gets kicked by them because she doesn't move. Also there is just one small pony who bites her on the neck and then kicks her. I can't move her in a smaller group as is not possible
frown.gif
I could try Cross country boots - that sounds useful.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
Its not really easy for me to change yards
frown.gif
frown.gif
but I admit sometimes my yard owner is less than sympathetic and can sometimes brush things off even though to me they look more serious.
frown.gif

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
You need to consider that your horse may suffer a serious injury.

I have a mare that always ended up getting kicked etc. so now she is just kept with another mare and there have been no problems touch wood. One of her injuries resulted in a broken bone in her hock - it could have been far worse.

I would be tempted to move her somewhere where you can have an individual paddock.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
I would look as moving yard, you don't want to risk any more of serious injury.

A few weeks after I moved yards, the other 3 mares ganged up on my mare and she got double barrelled and pushed through a fence, luckily superficial but they found her and her friend their own field after that, she is much happier now.

RachelMcTimoney

www.mctimoney4animals.com
i would seriously move your horse or ask if you can fenc eof a bit of the field for her, it only takes one kick. Sorry but i certainly wouldn't turn my horse out with htem. It may be due to the mares and geldings being together as they are fighting over the boys/girls