Bedding for a filthy wet horse?

Blizzard

Visit site
Any recommendations?

Horse is on neds bedz at the mo but it needing a new bed every day!
blush.gif

zoesophie

Visit site
I second bed down but I keep mine deep littered for a week coz he can wee for England
blush.gif
. If hes very wet you could also try putting a bit of MegAbsorb (sp?) in his wet patch to try and stop it going everywhere.

DawnF

Visit site
My horse is very very wet and I've tried everything! The only solution I have found is putting him on a deep litter system. I just take the poo out each day and put if needed some fresh bed on top removing all wet approx once a week but depends on how much he is in etc.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
use two types of bedding, ie shavings on the bottom (to absorb all the wet) then straw on the top. Only remove the wet straw and poo. Once a week / fortnight, replace the shavings for dry.

DawnF

Visit site
Chestnut cob - for it to be deep litter you have to leave all the wet in and only remove it periodically. Just remove the poo and top up with more shavings when needed then gut it out once every week/two weeks. x.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
wet horse + deep bedding not a good idea, total waste of bedding!! - however if you bed it deep enough it will work for a while but ultimately binning more bedding..

Rubber matting, sprinkle of shavings, about inch thick in circle in the middle at most, clear it out each day, save a fortune and contrary to belief they tend to pee in the morning once they are up so you wont get a soggy rug!! Ours are all clean rugged and big piddlers!!

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
wet horse + deep bedding not a good idea, total waste of bedding!! - however if you bed it deep enough it will work for a while but ultimately binning more bedding..

Rubber matting, sprinkle of shavings, about inch thick in circle in the middle at most, clear it out each day, save a fortune and contrary to belief they tend to pee in the morning once they are up so you wont get a soggy rug!! Ours are all clean rugged and big piddlers!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I should mention, he wont pee unless he as a deep bed!
blush.gif

and he has half his stable matted.
smile.gif

Cop-Pop

Visit site
My mare used to be vile in the stable (she still is) so I put full matting down and flax bedding then sweep it out every day. I use 2 bales a month at the moment. The good thing about flax is you can mix quite a bit of the wet bedding back into the bed - I put it in the banks - and it doesn't smell etc. You need to take some wet out tho, or it really would be gross
smile.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My mare used to be vile in the stable (she still is) so I put full matting down and flax bedding then sweep it out every day. I use 2 bales a month at the moment. The good thing about flax is you can mix quite a bit of the wet bedding back into the bed - I put it in the banks - and it doesn't smell etc. You need to take some wet out tho, or it really would be gross
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks i havent heard of that, I wil look it up.

DawnF

Visit site
Further to my last: I tried mine on rubber matting and a sprinkle of shavings and we ended up with a massive pool! Plus he wouldn't lie down. I disagree with marsden I use 2/3 bales a week on this system which gives him a lovely thick dry bed (the wet is at the bottom). Mine likes to wee in his bed rather than in the field!! and this system works for me, give it a go for a week sounds like you have nothing to loose!! Good luck!

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Further to my last: I tried mine on rubber matting and a sprinkle of shavings and we ended up with a massive pool! Plus he wouldn't lie down. I disagree with marsden I use 2/3 bales a week on this system which gives him a lovely thick dry bed (the wet is at the bottom). Mine likes to wee in his bed rather than in the field!! and this system works for me, give it a go for a week sounds like you have nothing to loose!! Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thans, Im a big fan of deep littering, our last beds were down for over a year, and were solid, clean and didnt smell.
Unfortunately this horse has shovel feet and likes to dig for treasure!!
blush.gif
grin.gif

fizzer

Visit site
one of mine is a nightmare to keep clean, av tried every thing, when on shavings i had to put one bale in a day she was that disgusting. i now put a massive bed of straw on top of matting and put a bale in ever other day. i think when they are that wet and dirty its best to muck out properly, oh to have a clean tidy stable from her
smile.gif

zoesophie

Visit site
Yeah it kinda looks like mushed up newspaper
crazy.gif
I got a bag and just put half a bag down at a time just in his wee patch. However if you think he wees a significant amount you might be best trying an entire bag. I dont use if for Oscar coz I find the deep litter does the trick but a previous horse I had on loan it worked a treat
grin.gif

Let me know how u get on if u give it a go.

zoesophie

Visit site
Re-reading my post I think I should have explained I used to put the megabsorb stuff under the normal bedding I used its just acts as an extra layer for the wee area - does that make sense?

Fantasy_World

Visit site
I am enjoying reading this thread for tips because Mcfly the cob is very wet and messy too.
His stable like Doug's is fully matted ( got it done in the back end of last Spring, to save on bedding costs??????)
Anyway both are on straw.
Doug is ok and not really messy but young one is.
He pees for England and will poo and mash it in the straw as well. Most days you don't even have a poo pile to lift because his bed has become a poo, straw and pee patty.
They are stabled at night and sometimes in the day if weather bad because their field is bloody awful at the moment and we can't change their field now due to weather
frown.gif
( have been on same field since July)
Anyway I did consider shavings but don't think yo is keen on storing them because they buy in straw so I can understand that.
Also shavings are so damned expensive, the stuff I get for my ferrets is nearly £7 a bale:(
I have tried to source out cheaper shavings but where we got some cheaper stuff last year is too far and oh won't take me and I don't drive hence the problem.
Trouble is where we live it is not very farm or horse friendly. By that I mean there are not many businesses nearby that cater for either.
Wherever we go involves travelling and because I am not able to store much it would not be very cost effective fuel and time wise.
If anybody knows of any good places that are cheap for horse bedding ( like the ones listed above, or shavings etc) in Stoke, or near Newcastle please let me know?
thanks
Caz

Ottinmeg

www.equestrianimage.com
i use hemcore for otto as he is a wet dirty git and also likes to dig. i use one bale a week and the wet is taken out during the week if it appears and completely out on a weekend. he is a lot better on it. i did find it a bit strange when i put the initial hemcore down and had to water it though!

Blizzard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Re-reading my post I think I should have explained I used to put the megabsorb stuff under the normal bedding I used its just acts as an extra layer for the wee area - does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah thanks yes!

Im going to buy some on saturday so I will be sure to let you know how I get on!
grin.gif