Bedding For My Novice???

Would you read an online blog written by your partner/child/friend/other, if you came across it?

• Total voters

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Well doctors now banned me from horses
mad.gif
Which means dads caring *trying* to care for dermot.... *he will still be alive when my plaster is off
crazy.gif
* For last week dermots just been out 24/7 in my over used 1/2 area (Less then acceptable but finding livery is rather stressful)

Now thinking to bring him in again at night *My huge problem is im rather OCD-ish and cant cope with the thought of my dad mucking my stable out* Any how thinking deep liter then i will come and watch over him weekends to dig it out...

Ideas Please??

Hes a rather messy lad *mainly due to size-churning it all up*

_April_

Visit site
I think you should be very grateful to your dad lol

It will be fine no matter what you do, its not for long and it's not really rocket science !

Hope you get it sorted xx

lizzieuk1

Visit site
when i went ot uni i had to rely on my mum to look after my old horse, now she's not really horsey, rode when little but not as an adult. i, like you, was terrified it would be a nightmare, however put on shavings she managed brilliantly, they make it quick to clean out and are easy to manage. my new boy is also messy so i take out any 'piled' up wet areas that hes built most days then top up once or twice a week depending. your dad will be fine in the end i know we worry but horses are wild animals and they cope fine in the wild on there own so i'm sure yours will be fine for a few weeks with your dad:)

samp

Visit site
I worked away from home and returned at weekends. My firend was suppose to loan my horse, however after the 1st day she left. My poor dad had never mucked out etc in his life and soon had to learn and quickly. We even tried to teach him to lunge but that was too much. It worked well for 3 months. Dad isn't up to the same level as me but I was grateful for the help! You can always replace the bed once out of plaster if it is that bad

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I am going to start the straw bed appreciation society because

1. it is cheap, which means you can put some clean bed in every day
2. It is really warm
3. I actually think that it looks nicer than shavings
4. It is really easy ‘to do’ as you don’t have to worry too much if daddy messes it up (can just take the whole thing out and start again)
5. Its really nice when you have got a hangover to curl up in, unlike shavings which stick to everything and are not as warm
6. I think that it is cleaner than shavings…
7. Shavings, even dust free, are really dusty.

I love straw beds! I would sleep on one if I could.

Good luck with Father control (he is a better man than mine, who would have me mucking out with a plastic bag over my foot)

_April_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just don't let him mix up hay and straw... I've know it happen! The horse thought he was in heaven lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

I never thought of that one LOL

One another note watch out for feeds like sugar beet which can be dangerous, although most people do lock it away i think? Haven't ever used it myself though so I'm not sure.

Vicki1986

Visit site
Can i ask why bring him in? If your fretting about it already and you havent even done it yet is it worth the stress? if your roughing him off for the winter why not do just that, put some good quality rugs on him and leave him out with shelter? or is there a reason why you have to bring him in?

if there is a say shavings for deep litter. most definately.

M

madabout2

Ok. IMO to save work - which is what you need to do -
in an average stable put down 8 bales of shavings, should be abdl to make good layer and decent banks.
If your Dad isn't squeamish get him some rubber gardening gloves - otherwise arm him with a fork.
Every day get Dad to pick out the poo (hence gloves are better as you leave the shavings behind!)

Now you have 2 options: one is the old fashioned deep liter where you leave the bottom layer to form like a thick compost and don't dig out to spring,
the other is to dig out everyweekend.
Your choice
Weekly activity same for each:
Get (poor) Dad to kick top surface around during the week (try not to go too deep as you want the wet to go down to the bottom) and look for the buried bits. Then fork up to the sides to form banks.

Option one: don't dig out the wet at all let in form a 4" layer (will be smelly for first fortnight). keep a 2 -4" layer of shavings as the bed on op of the compost layer by adding about 1/2 bale twice a week.

Option two: Fork all shaving to sides disposing of any wet. Leave up to allow floor to dry for as longs as pos. Then fork down, create banks and add shavings as needed probably need 2 bales a week. 1/2 addded during week and 1 1/2 at weekends.

If you go for option 1 the bed is best mucked out in the morning as it seems to settle better during the day.

These are a combination of the options we use for the two horses in our care.
The PBA as COPD and is on trad deep litter seems to minimise dust. Even though opinions differ on this - we did a non-scientific experiment by leaving a water bucket in stable after we mucked out, and taking bucket out when horse came in (so he didn't drink it) for a week and comparing dust layer on each. This method had less dust that the full muck out option.
The Tb is on deep shavings lifted everyday.

Good luck and remeber you horse won't suffer if his bed isn't as clean as you want after all your parents brought you up without social services!!

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
Since I fractured my spine, i've not been able to muck out either - a friend has been doing it for me. I'm really funny about beds too so I know how you feel, but at the end of the day, when something like this happens and you are thrown on the kindness of friends/family you have to let go a bit. My horse's bed might not be exactly as I would do it... but it is fine for her and she is happy and well cared for.

I really get how hard it is to let go, but provided your dad knows how to make banks and to get the wet out of the middle, your horse will be OK for a couple of weeks.

I really wouldn't advise coming up at the weekend and standing over him because he is likely to get shirty with you - think how you would hate it if someone came and monitored you when you were mucking out... You need to take a deep breath and have a little faith in him.

JMHO - good luck and get well soon.

bellgave

Visit site
I leave my baby horse with a certain family member if I have to go away at short notice, all I can console my self with is that he will still be alive when I get home!! I am a bit OCD about mucking out etc, So I just give him a tonne of shavings , and hope all poos are taken out and some wet. I come home to a seriously grotty bed, I then take it all out and start over!!!! So long as your horse has food water and is warm and happy he will be OK!!! Im not like this with any other of our horses, just my particular fav!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Do you have rubber matting? If so, you dont need a thick bed which'll make it easier for him to muck out. Id use shavings since I find it easiest to muck out (straw is a pain!). Cant you go with him but just tell him what to do?!

Chex

Visit site
My mum was so glad I broke my leg in the summer, I don't think she would have coped looking after him in the winter! I personally found it easier not to watch while my mum looked after Chex, it was so frustrating seeing she wasn't doing something how I would do it, and yet not being able to show her how I wanted it done! If money is not a huge issue, I would go with a medium shavings bed, and just get him to lift the poos, and put in a new bale or two a week. Depending on how long it is before you can get back to doing it yourself, maybe lift the wet patches every fortnight or so.