Bedding for stables WITHOUT rubber mats

EnduroRider

Visit site
I am going to be moving yards next month and for the first time in 17 years will have boxes that are not rubber matted. Whilst I will likely put mats in in the future I am interested to hear what bedding people are using in their non matted boxes? When I was last in this situation we had big traditional straw beds but straw is not allowed on this yard (nor would I actually choose it!) so what is the best option to avoid them going through to the concrete floor? Also, does anyone have a view on if they actually get through more bedding in this situation (I appreciate the initial beds will be significantly larger)?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I had a very deep Easibed bed over concrete for my tidy mare this winter. I deep littered. Used a max of 2 bales a week to top up but it was more like one bale every 10 days and found I hardly had to take any wet out... It was a well draining stable which helped hugely. Deep littering produced a very very solid and stable base. Even when she stressed and paced a bit when I took the other horse out she didn't get through to the floor. I made the bed completely wall to wall in all directions with just a clear patch by the door which helped stabilise it.

When I cleared her stable it was a bit grim underneath but not as bad as I expected and it had stayed dry and fresh on top the whole time.

I was really impressed with the Easibed.

I've also used chopped rape straw and always liked that too, just couldn't get it this winter so tried Easibed.

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I have one stable with mats and one currently without. Both stables have deep big flake shavings which work very well in both. My preference would be straw but we don't have storage space on the yard. My husband mucks out the big lad who doesn't have matting and uses between 1 and 2 bales a week.

conniegirl

Visit site
I have an easibed base layer (4 bags in a 12x12 stable) then a bale of shavings on top. I go through 1 bag of easibed every 3 weeks and a bag of shavings every 2 weeks.
I semi deep litter. I take the poo out every day and pull the shavings back against the wall every day but I only dig the wet out every 2 to 3 weeks, when it starts showing when I pull back the shavings.

I think you do need to give a new easibed base a few weeks to settle but when combined with deep litter, or even semi deep litter, its the most stable base available IMO.

When on a purely shavings bed I went through at least 1 sometimes 2 bags per week to try and keep the bed deep enough that he didnt lie on concrete.

If you like I can try and get pictures tommorow to show you what I mean?

Fiona

Visit site
I am going to be moving yards next month and for the first time in 17 years will have boxes that are not rubber matted. Whilst I will likely put mats in in the future I am interested to hear what bedding people are using in their non matted boxes? When I was last in this situation we had big traditional straw beds but straw is not allowed on this yard (nor would I actually choose it!) so what is the best option to avoid them going through to the concrete floor? Also, does anyone have a view on if they actually get through more bedding in this situation (I appreciate the initial beds will be significantly larger)?

Pellets on the bottom with shavings.....

And semi deep litter, ie digging out the wet spot at the weekends or when you see it coming to the surface.

Could you buy one heavy mat in the meantime just for the doorway.

Fiona

asmp

Visit site
I use Laysoft which is similar to Easibed (cheaper). Once you have a decent bed , then you don't need to add much every week. I also found it was cheaper to order it by the pallet load from the manufacturer.

I stopped using mats as I think they contributed to my horse's breathing problems - the wee sat under them and they were too heavy to move regularly.

EnduroRider

Visit site
Thanks all, it looks like Easibed or similar wood chip type is the best bet.

Conniegirl - do you not find that the shavings just mix in?

Fiona - I've never got on with pellets before as find they make everything dusty, is this not the case if just underneath? And do they stay just underneath?! I am loathed to get one mat alone as even with the current fully matted box one of the boys continually manages to get shavings underneath the corners and cause it to lift, I think he must just be heavy on his feet!

conniegirl

Visit site
Conniegirl - do you not find that the shavings just mix in?
Nope, i established the easibed for about a week first, then popped the shavings on top. Easibed stays in a nice layer at the bottom and the nice fluffy shavings stay on top.
I’ll get you a photo tomorrow when i go up, if i take it half way through my muck out you can get a good idea of how it works.
Mucking out each day takes me less than 10 mins