Bedding- rape plant

tamsinkb

Visit site
I've used rape straw in the past...never had a problem with any of my 3 eating it and found it quite absorbent. I now use miscanthus as I can source it cheaper.

Reactions: DD

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've used Bedwell Equinola before. A couple had a nibble of it but soon stopped. It has a eucalyptus coating though I think? Not sure about uncoated rape straw but the Bedwell was good.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine is on chopped rape straw. Kind of like mid way between shavings and Aubiose to handle. No issues with eating or allergies (but then I do feed ad lib hay).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've used it on and off over the years. the more curious ones have nibbled it but only out of interest, rather than actual intent to eat it. Like Red I feed ad lib hay so they've always lost interest pretty fast.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's usually coated, on some brands this hits the back of your throat more than others. I don't mind it as a bedding but it is a bit floaty. I prefer miscanthus/aubiose.

Bojingles

Visit site
I'm a champion of rape straw. Chopped/dust extracted or straight off the bale. My fatty-eat-anything good-doer doesn't touch it and it's far more absorbent than wheat straw or even shavings, I think.

rowan666

Visit site
I have Mine on rape straw as it works out cheaper to buy in big bales of it rather than using small bales of other types and found that it's actually much more absorbent and they won't eat it! Although the sheep cant get enough of it 🙈

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I have used it in the past but it gave DP a nasty cough. Vet thinks he inhaled a few particles and it irritated the lung enough to cause an infection so I switched to wood pellets with shavings on top. Much prefer the rape straw as it is so absorbent and less dusty so I may give it another go under shavings this winter.

Bayracer

Visit site
I use rape straw as it’s the only type of straw bedding that my boy doesn’t eat. Also works out cheaper aswell.