Bedding suggestions not deep litter and not wood/paper/cardboard

Flick240

Visit site
Hello!

I’m moving to a new yard that do not allow wood, paper or cardboard beds. This is totally fine by me and the yard is perfect for me and my mare.

I’m looking for a new bedding. She is currently on hunters shavings and I love giving her a big bed. She is a clean girl.

I’ve had her on straw before and even with lots of hay she decided to eat a combination of the bed and hay so ideally not looking to put her on something she may eat if she fancies something to go alongside her hay 🙈

I am not keen on the idea of deep litter. I would love suggestions that are compatible to shavings where you do a muck out daily. Nothing really against it, it’s just not what I’m used to so ideally looking to start with a small change 😂

Thanks everyone in advance!

Cowpony

Visit site
I use the pellets and just muck out daily. There's a recent thread on here about Miscanthus where people are saying they take the wet out once a week or deep litter

ChipsChaps

Visit site
Oilseed rape shavings maybe? I used to use it for my lad at our last DIY place because it worked out cheaper than wood shavings, and made a lovely bed, particularly once it was "worn in" a little. ETA: It breaks down lovely and quick on the muckheap!

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
Ecoflax, which is a lovely bed and very easy to keep. Although the eco bit is a little suspect, given it's imported from France. Still, it works out a lot cheaper than shavings.

Flick240

Visit site
Ecoflax, which is a lovely bed and very easy to keep. Although the eco bit is a little suspect, given it's imported from France. Still, it works out a lot cheaper than shavings.
Ok cool I haven’t heard of that one! And you muck it out daily like shavings?

Flick240

Visit site
Oilseed rape shavings maybe? I used to use it for my lad at our last DIY place because it worked out cheaper than wood shavings, and made a lovely bed, particularly once it was "worn in" a little. ETA: It breaks down lovely and quick on the muckheap!
Ah awesome. Did you have a particular brand you recommend? Also did you do a full muck out daily with it?

Rowreach

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Visit site
I do, because I don’t like leaving any wet, just seems wasteful to me to let it soak in. If you do it daily you get small clumps of wet which are easy to lift. I had two on it last year, one I topped up weekly, the other went 10 days or so

Flick240

Visit site
I do, because I don’t like leaving any wet, just seems wasteful to me to let it soak in. If you do it daily you get small clumps of wet which are easy to lift. I had two on it last year, one I topped up weekly, the other went 10 days or so
Amazing thank you so much xx

ChipsChaps

Visit site
Ah awesome. Did you have a particular brand you recommend? Also did you do a full muck out daily with it?
I'm based in Ireland and used a product called MiBed, but occasionally I'd end up with one made for chickens - salmonella free! I kept a deep bed with small banks, and removed poos and wet, added anywhere from 1/3-1/2 a new bale a day, tossed everything including banks to mix, and remade bed. He's manky in the box, but it was quicker than shavings, they def fall through the fork.