Bedding - whats best for my oldie?

mandy4727

Visit site
I have always been on straw and have been for years. In fact my filly still is cos she is so so mucky and it is the cheapest option. Not Tartan (aged 39) is a different matter. I put him on shavings as I thought it would be easier for him to walk over with his arthritic legs. But cos of this I can't do his bed too deep. And cos he has very sloppy poos (always does them all down one side though) I need something absorbant. So I changed to Nedzbeds but found i am using 2 a week (£9.00 a week) and really need something cheaper. Do you think he would be okay going back on straw if I make sure his bed is banged down so quite flat but built up where he does his muck? I just need a cheaper alternative with the thought of redundancy looming over us the beg of next month and need to make cut backs where I can. Also with him having arthritis will straw not be a nicer warmer bed for him? I am not in a position financially to buy or store the ones like Megazorb etc etc. Thoughts appreciated thanks. Oh and comments

filly190

Visit site
I think straw would be the best bed for him, what a lovely age, I only hope I can keep one that long. As you pointed out you can fix his bed to suit and make things easy, so I would'nt worry too much. Straw is lovely and I think you will be fine.

Nailed

Visit site
go for the straw! The main reason people dont use it with the older horses is that it sometimes makes them cough.. If he aint coughing put him on it.. its alot warmer, cosier and deeper.
Lou x

Theresa_F

Visit site
Could you invest in thick rubber mats - great for old joints and will keep him warm. I use stablelite - not cheap but very soft and porous - very warm - I have sat on it in frosty days and it was not that icy cold of concrete/thin mats.

At the risk of sounding very horrible, when he goes to the great horse home of peace, you can use it on your youngster so it won't be money wasted.

You can still put a straw bed on top for him.

Only downside is the cost to start with.

mandy4727

Visit site
No he doesn't cough at all. In fact that is the only part of him that is still okay!!!!! I need to get the straw deep enough so comfy for him but flatten it down so that he doesn't trip when moving about. Just worked out that the difference I save between the nedzbeds (although I do like this product) and the straw would actually pay for my filly's haylage for the month!!!!! Well near enough anyway.

BID

Visit site
I paid £5.15 per bag but I bought a pallet and that included delivery. I think if you dont want to buy in bulk it is £5.50 per bag and I think that is a deivered price, but it really does go a long way especially if you use one of their muck out forks as you only pick up the droppings.

Gingerbird

Visit site
My horse was on straw for years but two years ago I changed to shavings. I didn't save much time with it and it was much more expensive so I have just put him back on straw. He's 22 and already I've noticed that hes much warmer, its easier on his legs and hes really clean too. I do lay it very thick though as the piccie shows!
picture.jpg

mandy4727

Visit site
That's a lovely bed. But cos Tartan is so old and he is only 12.2. I think he would struggle to lift his legs high enough to step over onto the bedding and then to move round in it. It would have to be about half that on the bottom but the bankings that high would be find and keep the drafts out. And it may encourage him to lie down more and have a better nights kip!

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Mandy,do you think a mix of shavings and straw might work?
That's the system I use atm....shavings on the bottom(absorbs the wet stuff)..with straw on top(nice and cosy).It's really easy to muck out,and SWUO has been lying down on it,so it must be comfy.

Bethxx

freya_5

Visit site
I have just started using Hemp bedding, it's expensive to start with, about £6.50 a bale but once a stable is filled it is so absorbant, I only out a new bale in every 10 days to 2 weeks. It's not dusty at all makes a nice soft bed, I am really pleased with it but mine are both 5 year olds so i'm not sure what your chap would make of it, it's just another option!

Kelly1982

Visit site
what about paper??

Its really thick and bouncy like straw but more obsorbant, its also not dusty at all so really good for the oldies if the suffer with their breathing.

A pony down our yard had such a bad couch and no medication was working. Then the owner put him on paper and the coughing stopped.

Its also really nice and warm so i would give that a go. Its about the same price as shavings too (we pay about £5.50 round here) so not mega expensive either.

_jetset_

Visit site
Have you thought about getting some rubber matting (a big outlay I know, but saves you money in the long run) and then you could use the Nedz Bedz much thinner if you like it or even straw as I know some people who do... he would be a very happy pony with this combination I am sure.

mandy4727

Visit site
Did what Tinsel Dragon suggested. Have about 4 bales of nedabeds left. So put all the dry bedding already in his stable on the side where he does his not so nice poos. Swept the floor and put straw down and patted it down but he was walking round it okay anyway. So I will use the nedzbeds on his "bad side" as it will soak the water up more than the straw and this will be mucked out daily. Other than his poos he is a very clean pony and won't need muck straw and keeps his bed clean. So by using both it should work and I haven't had to use all my nedzbeds up or had to buy any more. About 1 bale of this should last a month. Thanks folks glad I asked. And will see in the morning if he has had a lie down or not.