Bedmax - has size of bale reduced?

LeneHorse

Visit site
I have used Bedmax for years and love it, but the last couple of bales I've bought seem to be smaller in size than previously. I can't see a weight/volume on any of the packaging.
Anyone else noticed this?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I think a bale is supposed to be 20kg, unless it's also available in a smaller size.

.f

I'd be surprised if the weight or volume is not marked anywhere on it; the weights and measures regulations cover both foodstuff and non-foodstuff.

If the bale seems smaller, maybe it's that the manufacturer has found a way to compress the bales a bit more.

Or you're just getting used to the size. I remember when a pint of beer felt big in my hand. :p

GoldenWillow

Visit site
Ive used Bedmax for years and haven't noticed any difference in bale size, although I last bought some about two months ago. I'll need some in a couple of weeks so might notice a difference then. I'll have a couple of old bales left to compare it to.

LeneHorse

Visit site
Thanks - I will look at my bales again and see if I can see 20kg marked anywhere. I have empty older bags too (I use them for steaming hay) so will compare.

Cecile

Visit site
Thanks - I will look at my bales again and see if I can see 20kg marked anywhere. I have empty older bags too (I use them for steaming hay) so will compare.

I opened a bag today and there was no weight marked on the bag at all, front, back or sides
I can't say it felt lighter than usual but that's not to say it isn't

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Metsa Wood Stable Choice shavings went down in volume and weight recently. They were meant to be 22KG and always had been but then they changed the wrapping from white to see through and although the stockist rang the manufacturer they denied they had altered the contents. However, they had that many people complaining that the weight and spreadable volume was different that they are now back to the original packaging (and contents!). Sometimes it pays to complain. It was a very obvious difference. If they want to pull the wool over peoples eyes then they should do it a bit less obvious.

I get my 22KG bales from a local supplier (a building supplier) and they are pine dust extracted and cost me £7.40 per bale including VAT as I have a discount cash customer card, and they deliver for free in a 20 mile radius a minimum of 24 bales. These are the cheapest and best quality that I can find. Fantastic value for money. https://www.bing.com/images/search?...608004089531991402&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0 - this is an image of the bale.

LENE HORSE - Take your bathroom scales and weigh the old bale against the new. You will be amazed. When we stood the old bales (white packaging) against the new bales (clear packaging) it was obvious that they were different - although they were the same height/dimensions the white baled shavings were bulging at the sides (and they are very compressed) whereas the clear bales were just straight sides and were no more compressed than the white ones.

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Visit site
If there's no marking on the bales, it may be that they are in packaging not meant for sale as individual bales, but as an overwrapped pallet. In this case, IMHO, individual bales should be marked "not for individual sale" and the total net weight of shavings for the whole pallet should have been marked on the overwrap.

If it turns out that the bales are under weight compared to either previous bales or compared to what's described by the supplier, I'd make a call to Trading Standards.

DD

Visit site
weight depends on how much moisture content there is in the shavings. if its sold by volume then the weight is immaterial.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
weight depends on how much moisture content there is in the shavings. if its sold by volume then the weight is immaterial.

True, it could be sold by volume; but the Bedmax bales have in the past been marked as 20kg, so sold by weight, and were described as dried and cleaned, dust free and in were in sealed packaging.

LeneHorse

Visit site
definitely no weight stated on any of my empty bedmax bags. Our YO buys it in bulk and sells it on to us so maybe it is a different version of the packaging from the one you would buy over the counter.
Anyway I will continue to use the product anyway as I like it.