Beecraigs/Cockleroy?

HopefulHacker

New User
Visit site
Hello,

Does anyone hack up at Beecraigs?

I was wondering if it is worth trailering to. Is there space for a decent canter or gallop anywhere - can you get up onto Cockleroy for a bit of hillwork cantering?

Thanks for any advice!

Lamc

Visit site
I have been to beecraigs a few times as I am fairly local. The hacking is lovely plenty of canters. There aren't separate paths for rider/walkers though so would recommend going during the week in the daytime if possible because it can get very busy at weekends, especially when the weathers nice.

Pretty sure cockle roy although accessed from beecraigs is on private land, there is livestock in the field the footpath runs through and you have to climb a style so not suitable for horses. You will find a few hills within the park though.

The park prefer you to park box or trailer in the car park at the loch.

HopefulHacker

New User
Visit site
Thanks very much! And is the cantering on the woodchip trails? It's been a while since I've been up there, and I've never been up on a horse.

Lamc

Visit site
The bigger paths nearer the main areas are ash/gravel? The smaller paths are woodchip and also some dirt paths. There is a good long canter goes right up behind the caravan park on grass if you explore a bit.