Been burgled again - Shipping Containers....??

Liz_Clark

Visit site
Hi everyone

Unfortunately I have again been targetted by 'Caravan Utilising Nomadic Travellers'... and they have totally cleared out my (locked) shed at my paddock. There was nothing of real value - just bits and pieces - including my hat, gloves etc, but they took the lot - even a bag of rubbish. :-(

Anyhow, can anyone recommend a company that sells small shipping containers - 8/10foot? In teh essex area...

Once I've stopped crying, i need to think logically and get some secure storage for my *stuff*...

thanks in advance!

xx

spaniel

Visit site
Im not sure who would supply them in your area but just a tip if you do get one. ... ...

Ask your farrier or a local garage to weld a thick steel cowl over the lock/padlock hasp area. It means that you can only just get your fingers up to the base of your padlock to unlock it and its impossible to get bolt cutters in to snip through it.

Works a treat but make sure you have a spare key at home just in case otherwise you will never get in again!

eoe

Visit site
We have these and we got ours from a Tilbury some 7 years ago. There are load on Ebay for sale but you have to take your chance on how waterproof they are and in the summer hay and chaff does sweat in them so we have to leave the doors ajar, we have CCTV so that does help to deter people from stealing. Maybe getting CCTV would be a good idea there are some good kits on Ebay.

Liz_Clark

Visit site
Thanks everyone. The problem is, I rent a couple of paddocks, without electricity, so there's no way I can have CCTV. Interesting about the sweating - thats useful thanks.

I'm very very wary of ebay at the moment - the police agreed that its an easy way for stolen gear to be passed on.....however I'm sure stealing shipping containers is rare!!

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
i have 3 of thses and they are great !!

make sure you get one with the box on the front for the padlock then no one can get this undone x

CrazyMare

Visit site
Just a note - our shipping containers were broken into, we lost £20k of equipment for a shooting ground we run, absolutly devastating.

Even with lots of extra covers and things welded on by my farrier, they managed to get in with a petrol driven disc cutter - the field is totally isolated.

abracadabra

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
however I'm sure stealing shipping containers is rare!!

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldnt have thought so! surely theives steal the cargo thats IN the things, then have a handy container to get rid of as well
smile.gif

Liz_Clark

Visit site
oh dear :-( I've already decided I'm going to keep as much *stuff* at home as possible, but old towels and cable ties etc can live in it. Still can't beleive they even took the bag of rubbish.

unicornleather

Visit site
It is true as crazy mare said, the containers are not safe as they use a petrol driven angle grinder. A big livery yard near Crawley got done in that way a few years ago, whole lot went out of 2 containers and no one heard a thing and it is not that isolated !
NOTHING is safe unfortunately and no lock, bracket,chain, padlock, lock or catch can take a powerful angle grinder going at it and sledge hammer to back it up for long, it will just slow them down a bit, that's all you can do, slow them down and hope that the risk is too great for them to continue. Make sure there are loads of signs up saying everything is marked,postcoded and chipped and where you have an electricity supply put up signs there are c.c.tv cameras operating, get a dummy or a real one and 500 watt halogen security lights that come on as soon as they are tripped by the sensors, every little helps. The only sure way is to take your stuff home which of course is not practical most of the time.
I micro chip saddles but hardly anyone gets it done, if more people did it would at least help identify your saddles if found but until the equestrian world gets regulated more and there are more scanner and visual checks at auctions, sales, secondhand in shops we are fighting a losing battle!

mermiemoo

Visit site
i second what crazy mare says , we have one of these at our yard and were broken into by cutting the box with a disc cutter and the smashing all 3 locks off , then smashing their way through a double locked 3inch wooden door bhind it!
and we arent that isolated either right next to a doctor surgery ,golf course behind on a countylane with footpath in front .
this with alrms nd security lights!
be careful! they are good tho, we now have a new container with several extra securtiy features and cctv.

D

Donkeymad

Unfortunately, if thieves are determined to get in, they can and will get in anywhere
mad.gif

Rainbowrider

Visit site
QR: You need an underground storage room! Dug in underground with a small door and a couple of steps going into it. Line it with some tarpaulin, then cover your entrance with old carpet that you have grown grass seeds on. Then don't tell ANYONE it is there!!

A lot of work...

girla

Visit site
Bloody Hell Rainbowrider, that is extreme and never heard of that before
confused.gif
, but a good idea all the same.
wink.gif
Maybe you could even get a JCB to dig a massive hole put in a container (small one) and then cover it up. It's terrible what we have to do to keep these B'stardos off our hard earned tack. I have been cleared out twice in the past and it is gutting.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Liz_Clark

Visit site
well when i asked the policeman who took my statement what he suggested, he did actually mention razor wire & man traps.... I think he was joking.... :)

BTW - the only way we'll ever stop nasty people robbing, is to NOT buy from car boots, or dodgy second hand places. I personally now am really really cautious about ebay

TarrSteps

Visit site
A friend of mine had her place robbed (cut into with an angle grinder, btw) and they stole her almost new 4x4 among other tools etc. So she went on ebay and bought a new one, whereupon I asked her where she thought half the "used" stuff on ebay came from . . .

Her face was a study. (The purchased 4x4 was legit, btw - the sellers even had the original receipt, warranty book etc.)

Online selling must be a boon to people looking to fence things. Not that it was hard to move stolen goods before but the internet has made it so quick and easy, drastically lessening the overhead.

Btw, the police specifically told another friend NOT to use razor wire or heavy duty electrical current as he would be held liable. They also told him not to shoot anyone in the back/leaving his yard as then they could prove they weren't acting in a threatening manner . . .
wink.gif