Before I go to look...

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Horse local to me 11 years old, done a bit of everything, safe as houses, etc. Heavy sports type with gone bone. A bit bigger than I was wanting BUT he looks like a nice, kind boy and I'm keen to see him.
Is sound with no issues, currently doing the job wanted but he is a LOU due to doing a suspensory ligament a couple of years ago.
Open to a 5 stage vetting. He seems almost perfect in every other way and is cheap enough to take a chance. *please note that sane friend found him and thinks hes definitely worth a look*
Thoughts please..!!

ETA link to advert
https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118950014/bfg-all-rounder.html

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
Worth a look for the job you want (on the proviso we actually haven’t seen the horse).

I’d ask for his vet records and at least 2 stage and scan the suspensory.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Go and have a look at him asap, with or without sensible friend. Talk in person to the vendor, ask to see his vet records and proven details of what he has done since being declared sound.
You won't know how you feel about riding him, until you have sat on him. Some horses have plenty in front of the rider, others don't and that doesn't correlate with the horse's height.

I refuse to even look at horses more than 50 miles away but one of the best I've ever had was within hacking distance of home.

ETA, make sure sensible friend sees him in person before you agree to buy him.

Visit site
Which suspensory?

I'd buy him. Suspensories don't bother me so much, we have dealt with many of them in the yard, along with plenty of other injuries so I am less worried by a lot of things lol!

If injury was in 2016, brought back into work 2017 he still has 2 years of sound work behind him. I'd buy him.

RHM

Visit site
Horse local to me 11 years old, done a bit of everything, safe as houses, etc. Heavy sports type with gone bone. A bit bigger than I was wanting BUT he looks like a nice, kind boy and I'm keen to see him.
Is sound with no issues, currently doing the job wanted but he is a LOU due to doing a suspensory ligament a couple of years ago.
Open to a 5 stage vetting. He seems almost perfect in every other way and is cheap enough to take a chance. *please note that sane friend found him and thinks hes definitely worth a look*
Thoughts please..!!

ETA link to advert
https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/118950014/bfg-all-rounder.html

I would go look at him with your eyes wide open. My horse did his suspensory and nearly three years on he won’t be able to do some of the things you would be looking to do. I would want to speak to the vet and know if they thought it was an accute or chronic case (acute have much better prognosis) and which area of the suspensory was damaged. Just so you are aware it is often a secondary issue to another problem, if they have identified and treated the probable cause they obviously are more likely to stay sound. Good luck!

gunnergundog

Visit site
Get his vet records. Check where in the suspensory the injury was....if where it bifurcates I personally would walk away. How long has he been given to recover and more importantly how long has he been back in full work? Do you know his registered name? Could be worth checking to see if any other 'gaps' in his BE record, which could be a sign of re-occurring issues.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Which suspensory?

I'd buy him. Suspensories don't bother me so much, we have dealt with many of them in the yard, along with plenty of other injuries so I am less worried by a lot of things lol!

If injury was in 2016, brought back into work 2017 he still has 2 years of sound work behind him. I'd buy him.

One of mine did a right job with a hind suspensory had a hole in it that was 2015, his sound and I just take it easy and am aware of deep wet ground when riding, might be worth getting it scanned.

ihatework

Visit site
Its loss of use for a reason. I wouldnt even look personally. You wont get insurance and a sick horse costs the same to take care of as a sound horse.

Except the OP can’t afford to buy what they want ....

If this horse has been novice Eventing then it’s LOU would be based on being an event horse.

The OP essentially wants a happy hacker.

Suspensory injuries are not all equal. Plenty of horses have a very useful life post suspensory injury.

The important thing to ascertain is the location and type of injury, treatment received, workload since and current soundness and state of suspensory. None of which we know.

OP be guided by your vet. But I’d wave the clinical history under their noses before you waste anyone’s time.

Ellzbellz97

Visit site
Its loss of use for a reason. I wouldnt even look personally. You wont get insurance and a sick horse costs the same to take care of as a sound horse.

I agree with this i.e insurance. Yes it's a cheap horse but you could potentially be paying more in vets bills due to the injury and potentially never become sound! I'd go and take a look though and if you are interested, get it vetted and see what your vet recommends as they will ask you what you want the horse for and whether it will be suitable upon the vetting results :)

HEM

Visit site
I think it is worth a look, I would be keeping my wits about me though!

Take vets advice and make full use of their knowledge!!

I hope you are planning to take sensible friend too!!:p

LaurenBay

Visit site
Oh really how did that happen then who's gonna fill me in then:p

OP admitted that the other Horse was going to be too much and not the right fit for what she wanted to do. She has since sold that one after doing some groundwork with him.

She is now on the hunt for a new Horse, there was initially a lot of confusion about the Horse she needs and not the Horse she wants but she seems to have found some lovely sounding Horses now.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site

I would agree with this, usually if successful they have box rest, rehab and return sound.
I'd ask lots of questions prior.

£1300 is still a lot for a horse that could potentially be knackered and worth £0 in the future plus tons of vets fees. He won't ever be able to be insured for it either as above. I have experienced a suspensory issue so maybe I am more negative, mine had his nerves snipped as that was the only option and we also have another 2 at the yard on box rest. One has been on box rest for over 5 months, and still not sure if he'll come back sound and the other had a suspensory injury a few years ago and recovered. Hes now done it on his other leg, worse than before. That said, my vet did previously say lots of horses have torn or holes in their suspensorys if you scan them and would never show lame in their life, its wear and tear over the years.

He could have secondary or primary issues to the suspensory as well, suspensory is commonly a secondary problem caused by another issue such as hock arthritis, stifle problems, kissing spine. It could be worth speaking to his vet, looking at his records etc, providing the owner will let you.
Sorry to be negative, trying to be honest. I'd spend some more and get something you won't be as worried about. It would always play on my mind the suspensory could go again but maybe thats just me.

Has he been out of work? He seems to lack a lot of muscle on his back end?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
OP admitted that the other Horse was going to be too much and not the right fit for what she wanted to do. She has since sold that one after doing some groundwork with him.

She is now on the hunt for a new Horse, there was initially a lot of confusion about the Horse she needs and not the Horse she wants but she seems to have found some lovely sounding Horses now.

Thanks for the update!

eggs

Visit site
In your shoes I would go and have a look at him but before looking I would prefer to have his full vet history so that I could run it past my vet first. It is too easy to go and try a horse, fall in love and then go with your heart rather than your head if deciding to buy.

wren123

Visit site
I'd be very wary and looking to see if they would loan rather than Sell. The trouble is you won't get insurance on the affected leg, if it doesn't work out you will have an expensive field ornament.

whiteflower

Visit site
If you go ahead definately get him 5 stage vetted and scanned. I attended a vetting with a horse in exactly the same circumstances some time ago. It had been back in work for 2 years and was 'fine'. Sadly the vetting was stopped early as it was 2/10 lame on the same leg where the original injury. Friend really liked horse so they nerve blocked and scanned to find out the suspensory had lots of scar tissue and was widened. It looked although it had been worked for some time not quite right.
As long as you are prepared to pay for full vetting/scan there is no harm going to have a look but try not to get carried away incase it fails the vet

Chippers1

Visit site
I saw one and thought of you today, although it may be on the large size. Priced at 3k.

Screenshot_20190424-143019_Facebook.jpg

I haven't properly researched the seller or looked at all the pics though :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190424-143028_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20190424-143028_Facebook.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 108

Thea

Visit site
My opinion on whether to buy him if you like him will depend on how much work you intend to do?

I had a lovely horse who did his suspensory on both hind legs, he had the nerves cut and had secondary sacroiliac issues as well as a slight tear in the superficial tendon. He did the allocated box rest time, had a year off in the field and came back through a full rehab program that the vets put together for me over a year. He heeled amazingly and the vets signed him off to go back to eventing, that was 6 years ago now. After he was signed off sound I sold him for a nominal fee (to cover his tack) to a lovely friend in the village who had always loved him. She just wanted a happy hack/hunter for her and her daughter to share. He has stayed sound and they have not had an issue with him since - he has gone on to another pure hunting home now, they are however careful to keep him fit and correctly worked over his back with even muscle tone.

If you intend on doing lots of schooling and jumping then I would wait for something else to come up with out issues, if however you want a nice horse to have fun on without putting it under any pressure he is worth a look but I would question why he is so poor and under muscled. One persons idea of work is not the same to another! it may be that he is hacked round the block twice a week and jumped/schooled once in a blue moon which is not my idea of staying sound in work!

be positive

Visit site
Worth a look, but lord he’s poor. Why???

He looks to me as if he has been out of work for some time, dragged in, given a very poor clip and put up for sale while he is 'sound' I would be asking more before I went to view, you may not want to clip but even as a starting point I suspect he is not good which rules out the first line in the ad 100% to do in all ways. Maybe they are just useless at clipping!
The part about hunting can be a bit ambiguous has he hunted since the injury or before? I would look up his BE record and see if he has been tried since 2016 and also see if they tell you how many homes he has had since then, the seller not BE.