Beginner woes!

kat2290

Visit site
I've been helping a family friend out with her horse for the last couple of months and today I had my first ever lesson on him :D

Friend suffers from arthritis in hands, knees and hips so she struggles with general yard duties which I've been helping her with. She very kindly offered for me to start having lessons on him as she can sadly no longer ride due to the arthritis :(

There is a fantastic instructor on the yard so I have managed to get a slot with her once a week and today was my first lesson.

It started really well, he was very responsive and I felt I was controlling him well...this lasted for all of 5 mins! Although he isn't particularly forward going he is very strong and after about 10 mins he decided he didn't want to walk in the direction I was asking him to :mad: there was lots of bending his neck and pushing his shoulder out and walking diagonally (I'm sure there is a technical term for this but not sure what?)

I really struggle to apply my legs effectively as they just aren't strong enough so he wasn't really responding to anything I was doing. The instructor ended up walking around with me to keep him going in the right direction :(

I'm hoping to ride him again a couple of times next week before my next lesson at the weekend so does anybody have any tips for how to get him listening to me and walking where I want him to not where he wants to?!

The instructor gave me lots of helpful tips but there was so much to focus on that I think most of it has already been forgotten! :eek: I find it helps if I read things, they stick in my head better that way! So please fire away with all your tips/advice/experience/pearls of wisdom :D

Ps. My horsey vocabulary is appalling so if there is a technical term for anything I have said please enlighten me :) I need to improve my lingo!

PleaseVenus

Visit site
Aww, I'm sure it'll get better when you get used to him :)

I know how you feel though, I hate it when the horse isn't listening.

To get him listening maybe do lots of transitions? An exercise I sometimes do in lessons is trotting on a 20 meter circle then coming back to walk at A for example. Then walk for 10 strides and then trot again. Next time round walk for 9 strides, then eventually do it going down to one. I find it helpful and towards the end it definitely feels like they're listening and more off the leg.

kat2290

Visit site
Sorry I didn't give any info on my ability as have posted quite recently in the new riders bit about it so I didn't want to bore people! But since you asked...!

I started riding about 2-3 months ago as a total beginner, can't remember exactly when but I was having two 30 mins lessons a week. I started at a riding school but I have been unhappy with the instruction as basically there isn't any! The people taking the lessons are very young and quite shy so don't give much if any information about what to do or how to improve. The one lesson I've had today with an experienced instructor has taught me more than all the lessons in the riding school have in two months! So I have trotted and cantered at the riding school, but I feel that it all happened a bit to quick. Not that I felt unhappy about it, I am confident and not afraid to give things a go but I feel like the instructors should have spent a lot more time perfecting my steering and legs before moving past trot.

I had a lesson the other day at a different riding school, it was good and the instructor told me a lot about my hand position and using my seat better. However I didn't feel like I really clicked with the instructor so I don't think I will be going back. I am planning on just sticking to the one lesson a week on friends horse and riding him during the week when the school is free.

Instructor today said my upper body position and hands were good its mainly just my legs that need work for now.

Sorry, rambling!

kat2290

Visit site
PV - thanks for that, sounds like a good idea. I'm hoping I can get in the school with him one day next week so I was planning on doing lots of transitions and seeing how that goes.

Just to add, the lady who owns the horse will always be supervising me during these sessions :) so I will still have somebody to guide me if I am struggling with something

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
Kat, sounds like you're getting going nicely - especially if your upper body position and hands are good. I think the leg thing can be a challenge to start off with, your tailor muscles may also object a bit. Good luck, enjoy, and post updates as you go along. :)

kat2290

Visit site
Thank you :) I felt like it was going well at the riding school because we were moving through things quite quickly but having this lesson today with a decent instructor on a privately owned horse has shown me how pants I really am!

Here was me thinking I had quite strong legs before I started riding, how wrong could I be!! I can't believe how much they ache after a lesson! :eek:

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
Kat, I think it's the muscles we don't use for other things that tend to be a bit painful. I think it's great you've found a good instructor, it makes all the difference to one's progress.

Echo24

Visit site
I think it's also to do with building your muscles in your leg. Don't worry too much, get used to the feel and the movement of the horse and hopefully over time your leg will be stronger :)