Beginners guide to hoof boots please

doodle

Visit site
What do I need to know? Robin has had his shoes off and manky stuff cut out due to white line disease. His fronts seem to be chipping off more and more and getting shorter all round. He isn't sore but is not in work. Do I put boots on in the field (in overnight) to stop them chipping off or leave alone and wait to grow? Sorry for numpty questions

Leo Walker

Visit site
They will chip off back to the nail holes, especially as there is some infection there. So long as he is sound and comfortable I wouldnt worry too much right now :)

doodle

Visit site
Thanks. It is like the outer wall is chipping off any extra growth. If you look at his feet from under they look ok but without any wall if that makes sense. His back feet are beginning to show some length round the edges (it is 5 weeks since farrier and shoes off). Apologies again if I sound like a idiot, never had a horse without shoes!

Leo Walker

Visit site
If hes had WLD then it will have weakened the walls so they will chip more. Unshod horses have much shorter feet as well so it wont be helping you when you look at them. Honestly, if he sounds and comfortable try not to worry and just monitor it. Hopefully he will be growing better hoof walls as we speak :)

doodle

Visit site
Hopefully. They do seem to be growing and there has been growth with shoeings up till now so hopefully growing out. I guess it's good all the crud is breaking away so getting to the actual infection although farrier cut away a lot.

JillA

Visit site
The main question is is he sound in the field? If he is, the frogs and soles and laminae are strong enough and doing their job of supporting the bones, if he isn't then that structure is compromised and that's when you need boots and pads. Don't over stress about the length of the wall - that is a side effect of wearing shoes, and really, the wall isn't the main load bearing structure.
If he is sensitive crossing rougher surfaces to begin with just pop boots on to do that, as his soles get tougher from use he will be better able to do it without boots.
If you do decide to get boots, measure carefully just after a trim and then have a chat to someone at the on line shops that sell them. Tell them what you need from them as well as the measurements and they will help you work out which are best. For just crossing a rough surface I find the Cavallo treks are easy enough to get on and off. And if you do use them for turning out in, you may need to get some (mens) socks to put over the foot to prevent rubbing at first.

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
If he's sound I wouldn't worry about the chipping. Presumably the farrier will be visiting regularly to keep the WLD in check anyway. Hopefully he will soon have a much nicer set of feet!

I would think boots would be a bad idea as you want those feet exposed to the elements as much as possible.

fatponee

Visit site
As a btw (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs), it's a good idea to scrub the cut away areas with Hibiscrub and a toothbrush and/or spray with Bactakil. :)

doodle

Visit site
Thanks everyone, will look at hoof bootique. I scrub His feet every night and then put on alamycin spray or bactakil

paddy555

Visit site
I would recommend Urban horse for hoof boots. I have had the best service from them. They are easily reachable by phone, and give excellent service. I have found hoof boutique slow I am afraid.

doodle

Visit site
Tend to do bactakil once a week as it says it too use too often and then alamycin the other days. Going through huge amounts of the stuff but have found it online at less than a 1/3rd of the price from the vets so still works out cheeper when getting a prescription as they will prescribe 3 at a time.

ponypatters

www.ponypatters.com
Hi there, I wrote a blog post on my hoof boots experience a little while back here: http://www.ponypatters.com/blog/lameness-shoes-hooves

Generally the Cavallos are working out the best I have to say. Have grown out of the super expensive Renegades which is so sad, trimmer says the feet should not be trimmed that short so he no longer fits them. Cavallos had a bit more room so were great. Also depends on how much you ride as to which the best might be!

So far on my hoof boot journey it seems fitting is super important as well as buying second hand ones on ebay to try first :) Hope that helps !

paddy555

Visit site
Have grown out of the super expensive Renegades which is so sad, trimmer says the feet should not be trimmed that short so he no longer fits them.

I don't understand this. My feet are not trimmed short and I use renegades. They are probably the best boots IMHO. Like all boots they fit some types of feet and not others. Shortness doesn't come into it.

ponypatters

www.ponypatters.com
I don't understand this. My feet are not trimmed short and I use renegades. They are probably the best boots IMHO. Like all boots they fit some types of feet and not others. Shortness doesn't come into it.

Hi sorry, I worded that badly, it's not the Renegades fault, I love them. I just need a larger size now as feet slightly larger size now being trimmed differently :)