Being an Owner

Chuffy99

Visit site
As in having bred a lovely horse now 5 for son to ride but he’s now busy with career and really has no inspiration to go beyond novice BE and happy with his long time partner. Said homebred oozes talent and as Mum is now in a better financial position wants to have her fun time going out to watch her super horse compete.
Happy with the £200 a week livery but it’s all the extras that are going to be tacked on, understands entry fees and travel costs, vets, physio and farrier but was a little taken aback by weekly instructor/travel and unlikely though the horse would come on the market the expected commission if horse was sold plus various other extras which rapidly add up.
Just wondered from you knowledgeable lot is this the norm?

ihatework

Visit site
Yes all pretty normal, it’s not a poor (wo)mans game that’s for sure.

Some riders are easier than others and it’s important you pick the right yard and rider for you.

Feel free to pick brains by PM if needed

ihatework

Visit site
One thing to watch out for is gallop fees. Mid season if they are galloping on a hired all weather ever 5-6 days that adds another extra to your monthly bill.

Obviously the more in demand your rider the more they call the shots. Have a look for an up and coming younger rider and you may get a better overall experience

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I think it has to be the norm, for the best result possible. Probably best to talk to the rider about your worries?

I'm part of a syndicate that has 2. I have absolutely loved it.

Bernster

Visit site
I think it has to be the norm, for the best result possible. Probably best to talk to the rider about your worries?

I'm part of a syndicate that has 2. I have absolutely loved it.

sorry to derail but this sounds like fun! Never thought about this as an option to ‘part’ own. Would you be willing to share info (IM or another thread) or point me in the right direction to get info?

Spotherisk

Visit site
As in having bred a lovely horse now 5 for son to ride but he’s now busy with career and really has no inspiration to go beyond novice BE and happy with his long time partner. Said homebred oozes talent and as Mum is now in a better financial position wants to have her fun time going out to watch her super horse compete.
Happy with the £200 a week livery but it’s all the extras that are going to be tacked on, understands entry fees and travel costs, vets, physio and farrier but was a little taken aback by weekly instructor/travel and unlikely though the horse would come on the market the expected commission if horse was sold plus various other extras which rapidly add up.
Just wondered from you knowledgeable lot is this the norm?

Where are you Chuffy- are you looking for a recommend?

Chuffy99

Visit site
No has two potential riders in mind but the plan looks like it needs a rethink. Many thanks for the replies and pm’s, it’s a bit of an eye opener.

ihatework

Visit site
There is variation and it is yard/rider dependant but definitely worth asking questions both of the rider and yourself, what is it you want out of it etc?

Feel free to bounce ideas via PM as I’ve seen a few models for event horse ownerships and the various pitfalls

Madali

Visit site
Agree with the others. The basic livery costs are the easy bits.
Other things to consider if it’s a competitive professional they may not choose to run the horse if after dressage or SJ they are not in with a top 10 finish. It is a very expensive day out
consider what happens if rider is injured, goes on holiday, is ill.
Would recommend a contract and include things such as prize money etc.
I’m sorry to say I wouldn’t do it again. Although there were some lovely times and I’m glad I experienced it.
one final thing to consider is that your horse will become a commodity and I’m not sure the horses will classify it as fun.
Maybe a really talented youngster without the horse power to progress might be more enjoyable and Cost effective.

SO1

Visit site
Do you really need a pro could you not find a keen amateur who would share the ride with your son and not charge you?

RachaelJC

Visit site
I've just made the ved my lad from a 5* event yard where he was based for a year. Very, very good care and 'customer service' for owners - you really feel like one of the family and as important as the riders.

Expensive, but if that's how you want to go its normal to have a large bill every month. Happy to PM if you want details.