Being jumped off!

icestationzebra

Visit site
Any tips on how to stop this happening? Came off my mare during my lesson on Sat due to the enormous leap she decided was needed over an oxer....I resembled a human cannonball at the time and now resemble a Ribena berry from the waist down on my right side. This is not an attractive look
blush.gif

Any tips on how to prevent this happening again apart from wearing a parachute?

Thanks
grin.gif

RunToEarth

Visit site
I used to get jumped off of my old hunting pony. Think i pinpointed it down to my lower leg slipping too far back when it happened, so mum had me on lunge going over grids stirrupless. Still do it to an extent today, because I believe it is a reversible skill, but it really depends how you are being jumped off, your lower leg may be uber secure
smile.gif

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Had you become apprehensive about the fence in question? if so you may well have tensed up without even realising it, especially through your thigh, this would result (I think!) in you having a less secure lower leg, and probably transfering your weight to your knees, with no "shock absorbers" i.e. soft knees and ankles, you were unable to absorb the extra energy of the large jump from your horse?

Just a thought, sure others with more experience will be better able to shed light on the problem.

Hope the bruising is subsiding, try arnica, the gel for horses works well on humans too despite what it says on the tub!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Lower leg position. If your lower leg is firmly fixed in the correct place, you are less likely to part company. Honestly, I can promise you it works from bitter experience.

4whitesocks

Visit site
I've been jumped off my boy - he's got a really nice jump but is only gradually starting to realise he doesn't have to jump 25 feet in the air - with me it was a matter of only jumping when he did if that makes any sense - I'd be so nervous I'd go into position too far out & try to jump the fence for him!!! - that meant he thought it was time to take off, took off too far out & over I went! Now I focus on the canter & the approach - and the get away, and try and forget about teh fence itself - get a regular rhythm in the canter, really secure in my seat no rushing and most importantly only go forward until I see the fence dissappear beneath me!

It's working so far!!

metalmare

Visit site
I have been jumped off - it happened once when the pony got too close to the jump an 'stood up' then threw himself over (he was young). I have a tendancy to stand up in the stirrups rather than moving my bum back and lowering my body - it is something I consciously work on improving. I actually landed behind the saddle on his bum (which caused a bucking spree)! If I fall off jumping it is nearly ALWAYS because I have been jumped off rather than gone off the shoulder landing or come off during a refusal. I often feel myself jolt out te saddle. But then I have not had bags of practise jumping and have never actually had a jumping lesson (very expensive at my yard) so I'm not kicking myself too much! At least i recognise my faults.

Standing up in the stirrups may or may not be you - but I certainly feel its my main reason.

Weezy

Visit site
Ditto tension! B almost jumped me off many a time as she had such an unusual jump, and Zante, well, the little bgger ballooned over EVERYTHING! Best advice is to try and relax and use a neck strap or some mane - really DOES help! Also you may be trying too hard to be in a jumping position - DONT! Just release your seat, keep everything bouncy - you dont NEED to be forwards, let the horses shape under you dictate what you are doing on top
laugh.gif

Tufty

Visit site
absolutely spot on jumping for the horse is mostly the reason people get jumped off ! The horse jumps you follow ! Says her sat on the floor LOL

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Ummm, I’ve been there too on my old pony Ella. She used to put in some major cat leaps when she first started jumping. I think I got jumped of because I was half expecting it and was therefore tensed. The less I tried and the less I thought about it the better it became. That doesn’t really help does it?

All I can say is that as I got to know her better and the more confident I became on her, the easier it became to sit when she did chuck in a whopper.

KatB

Visit site
Don't kick!!
tongue.gif
wink.gif

But seriously,it is lower leg position, and tensing up so not being able to absorb the movement, and trying to "put" yourself there, you then end up moving against them, and equals connonball effect!! Been there, done that, got the bruises!
crazy.gif

Also, if they are not going with quite enough impulsion, can equal over the top jumps, which can quite often equate to hitting the deck!

metalmare

Visit site
Yeah - I can't deny it's tension! I'm not the worlds most confident jumper although I always like to give it a go given the chance. I could really use some jumping lessons but I can't even afford standard lessons at the moment so my main priority is simply staying in touch with any old hack just so I can keep my hand in!

icestationzebra

Visit site
Your spot on. I'd got her really wrong at the fence before - let the canter get too long and flat and then dropped her front of the fence hence she just ground to a halt in front of the fence (not a slam the brakes on type). I came round to the oxer again and gave her a bit of nudge on - I have a habit of doing this if I think they are not going to jump having had a horse that would stop - she did what I asked her to do - jumped, but enormously and because I was tense I went for a air launch
grin.gif

icestationzebra

Visit site
Your right. My instructor invited me to stay on and watch him work one of his horses after so he could explain to be about opening up and closing down the canter. I watched him jump some enormous fences and that man sits as quiet as anything, he is so relaxed in his approach and over the fence. He doesn't do a manic fold forward with his hands up round the horses ears but remains in total balance. Thats why I go to him, I love the way he rides and just aspire to be able to be something like it over what to him are mini fences!

LauraBR

Visit site
My new neddy has jumped me off a few times already! If he isn't sure he lives to give it PLENTY of room *just in case* lol!

My lower leg position was pretty rubbish so I found a neck strap handy for hanging onto- stopped me falling off! My leg position although miles from being perfect is much more secure now, can sit a cat leap from a standstill which would have sent me flying without a neck strap a month or so ago!
grin.gif

icestationzebra

Visit site
Thanks for your comments. Not sure superglue is practical - but I'll look into it
grin.gif

My lower leg is not BAD but could be better and being a bit rusty on the jumping front having only had this horse 4 months and being out for two of those with my collarbone I have let it slip a bit. Lots of work needed and perhaps a pair of biggles goggles for Xmas. Stinkerstonkersmum - does hubby have any going spare?
grin.gif

Fiona

Visit site
This happened to me a couple of years ago XC schooling, and I had a bruise the size of a dinner plate on my hip/tummy. I had been using OH's saddle on the mare (Bates GP) and eventually decided to stop using as my lower leg flew back. This doesn't happen with my own GP, and have used this ever since and have not fallen off since.
What is your saddle like?
Fiona

Rambo

Visit site
Hmmm....this is easy to say, but hard to explain if you get me
tongue.gif

One reason people get jumped out of the saddle is that they are too rigid in their body. If the body, particularly around the hips / waist, acts as a shock absorber then it virtually impossible to be ejected. If you see the very best guys jumping their bodies seem to come in two parts. The lower half (legs, bum, hips) hardly moves, yet the upper body seems to follow the contours of the horse as it bascules over the fence. As I said, it's easy to say, but hard to describe
tongue.gif

The other thing that you need to work out is why the horse jumped so much bigger than you were expecting. Bo does this occasionally and it is usually a confidence issue. I find that moving him forward into the fence a bit more tends to alleviate the problem.

Hope the bruises don't hurt too much
smile.gif

filly190

Visit site
Some say when that happens, the horse is too big for you. This I dont accept, as its down to balance and method.

I would ride without stirups as much as possible to strengthen your lower leg. If you watch the professional show jumpers do the massive wall at horse of the year show, they hardly move.

Saying that, they have the best horses, trainers, facilities in the world, we dont.

Being jumped off, can be down to lots of things, so I would'nt be too hard on yourself. Watching the riders on telly, they also take a lot of falls, and we only get to see those on the box, I am sure they have plenty of falls at home, that they dont mention.

Dont be put off, I would lower the jumps for a bit and get some confidence back, it could well be that your horse needs that too, if he put a strange one in, he may need to go back a stage.

icestationzebra

Visit site
I do understand what you mean. It has always been my problem showjumping - I try too hard and as a result tense up. I worry about seeing a stride, getting left behind, forgetting the course, what I look like etc etc. See the pressure building up?! I need to relax and I think this is going to come with getting out and doing as much little low key stuff as possible. Funny thing is I am much better XC!
How's Bo?

icestationzebra

Visit site
I have an Albion K2 - always felt very secure it.... to be honest it was rider error this time. I used to jump in an ideal event but I have to say that wasn't as good for me as I am quite long hip to knee.
Need saddle with velcro
grin.gif

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I do understand what you mean. It has always been my problem showjumping - I try too hard and as a result tense up. I worry about seeing a stride, getting left behind, forgetting the course, what I look like etc etc. See the pressure building up?! I need to relax and I think this is going to come with getting out and doing as much little low key stuff as possible. Funny thing is I am much better XC!
How's Bo?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Yes it is funny (in my mind !) that you don't get tense x-country
shocked.gif
Horses for courses I guess
crazy.gif

Bo is doing okay thanks
smile.gif
He had his first walk out in-hand last night...well, it was more a case of him taking me for a walk actually
blush.gif