Belated Burnham Market Novice Report

becca1305

Visit site
Burnham was my first ever outing at a BE Novice and taught me several things. Firstly, don't expect to be able to communicate with the outside world whilst in Norfolk. Secondly - never try and sleep with puppies in the lorry. Thirdly, there is seemingly no limit to the number of pringles one can consume on a long journey. Finally fourthly, that I'm very good at collecting time penalties; so good in fact, that if it became a new Olympic sport I'd be right up there on the selectors lists.

I headed off to the Dressage where both big mare and I spent the vast majority of our time gawping at the pros in the extremely busy warm up, preparing for their 3* tests, and (due to the gawping) feeling even more inadequate than usual, particularly due to our inability to canter pirouette out the way when someone crossed our line :redface3:. I was feeling the first tendrils of panic when we headed over the test, so was incredibly grateful that big mare threw me a lifeline and became a biddable lovely creature for the vast majority of my test despite my sat nav failing once :redface3:. Our mediums were flat but at least showed a difference, and we avoided showing off our best laminitic giraffe impression which I counted as a win :D. I was pleasantly surprised with 35.5, which just shows that the extra training I've been having through lessons with PS is paying off on big mares overall way of going despite things being less than ideal on the day.

The SJ warm up didn't go exactly to plan, I felt sick as a parrot and kept seeing a terrible stride :frown3:. My sense of inadequacy was heightened after being glowered at by a well known big name when I accidentally managed to get in the way (and apologised profusely) which didn't help my stomach flipping situation. I was nervous of doing too much in the warm up as it was rather hard, and so as soon as I got a good shot to the oxer and called it a day. The steward shouted me over as second next to go so I went down to circle around the entrance but became the victim of a sneaky queue jumper and so went back to pop one more fence before going in. The oxer and upright had been raised to proportions greater than my jittery stomach could handle by the exceptionally well groomed grooms who had since departed, and so I decided the cross pole would be my fence of choice. One reasonable shot to an oxer and a cross pole before my first Novice show jumping round, what could possibly go wrong?:rolleyes3:..... We didn't get off to the best start, I missed the buzzer on account of nerves and an announcement being issued at the same time. However as it turned out nothing went wrong, and we jumped a clear. This feat can however almost wholly be attributed to my wonderful horse with the best praise I can give myself being that I didn't ride 'too horrifically' :cool3:.

Unfortunately a red light on course for the air ambulance turned me an even paler shade of white and enabled big mare to spot her new lorry BFF returning. Enthusiastic pony club style riding saw us out of the box and away over the first easily, I relaxed feeling silly for even thinking new BFF would be a problem... Upon the approach to fence 2, a simple innocuous looking jump, big mare realised she was leaving BFF behind and promptly spotted a horse-eating gremlin under the fence and shot sideways and attempted to disappear back in the direction of the warm up to save us....b*gger. Nerves hanging on by a thread at this point I gave us both a kick up the arse and kicked like my life depended on it and we were off:D... unfortunately also past our next turn on course, but beggars can't be choosers:eek:! Circling back round we headed off with new found determination over the saw bench I was assured wouldn't look as big riding at it, yet did. Next was the first question, a roll top to corner, I rode it with the drive (and in-elegancy) of someone determined not to fall off right in front of the commentary box and crowd. This determination even saw me take the straight route at the coffin to skinny complex later in the course that had me quaking in my boots on the coursewalk, but rode fantastically :biggrin3:. Unfortunately however, my determination did nothing for my sense of direction; apparently marching round the course walk at warp speed is not the best choice of tactic for someone with a poor inbuilt navigation system...who knew?!:eek:. On a plus note afore mentioned (understandably) glowering pro managed to crack a smile upon witnessing me cross the finish line and lavish my horse with praise whilst grinning like an idiot. Whilst Novice may seem like small fish to them, it definitely doesn't to me!

And so we finished Burnham with a reasonable dressage, clear SJ, a ridiculous stop XC, and time faults worthy of aforementioned Olympic team. Happy nonetheless with plenty of positives to take away including not falling off and being in one piece, we started our journey home. Our XC stop was a shame, however big mare hasn't been to a party with other horses since I've had her, and did such a fabulous job looking after me, that said indiscretion can be overlooked, and hopefully won't rear its head at the next event where we will be travelling solo. Buoyed by the relative success of our first Novice outing, with (big) glass of wine in hand I entered Chatsworth Novice. This has led to a stiff drink being required every time I think about it whilst we await ballot lists, which may help excuse any spelling/grammatical errors in this epically long report. I hope my wine induced state didn't bore you too much and that I have managed to attach a link to a video of big mare jumping us round the show jumping. https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net...=c1b0c9963303f77d57a1368df384bd13&oe=53598652. Next stop Solihull!:D

Last edited:

TarrSteps

Visit site
Well done! You'll soon settle in and the big guns will seem old hat. Don't stress about cutting someone off once, it happens. Also if someone has jacked all the fences up it's not completely unreasonable to ask them to squish one back down before they leave. You might get a eye roll but whatever, it's worth an ask.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Brilliant report, your horse sounds lovely and it sounds like you did pretty well for a first go at that level. I shall have to invent an XC satnav, i'm sure i'll make a fortune out of it.

becca1305

Visit site
Thanks all, can't seem to get the SJ vid to work, have asked friend to email it me :). Tarrsteps you are right, in hindsight I should have collared someone to ask them to lower it. Joyous, I will be the one looking a beautiful shade of green! Armchair rider you would make your millions! Can I be first in line to buy one please? :D. Star, its also been my aim for so long it seems bizarre having reached it and having to set a new goal - now to get confident at Novice! (And then maybe think about a 1*, seems so yikes to me!)

mil1212

Visit site
Sounds like a successful first attempt, if you are going to have a stop it may as well be at an innocuous fence, therefore not providing any xc daemons :) My next stop is also Solihull, and off the back of a great run at Kelsall, I have also entered Chatsworth, which is going to provide me with a few sleepless nights! So, maybe our paths will cross and we can gang up on the pro - showjump hoggers :D

becca1305

Visit site
Thanks LJR. Mil1212 thats exactly what I consoled myself with :). Sounds like despite using a super ballot sticker we may not make the Chatsworth ballot so we shall see! But yes ganging up sounds like a plan! :D

mil1212

Visit site
I 'only' put on a normal ballot sticker, so I presume I am not in, hadn't really thought about how popular it is! Wish they'd hurry with the ballot list, I need to re route!