Bemused

ihatework

Visit site
Do I live in a pocket of the country where the inhabitants are so IQ impaired that there is more than one post on face wipe along the following lines ....

‘Anyone got a 4x4 that can take me to XYZ to buy hay for my horses that have nothing to eat’

Knobends. This has been predicted so yeah, put some Good Samaritan out and just add more unnecessary traffic onto the roads for your sheer incompetence as a human being!

Judgemental rant over 😂

meleeka

Visit site
I’ve seen posts like this too, specifically ‘4 small bales of hay wanted urgently to be delivered to xxx today’. There’s also the ‘rug needed urgently, must be cheap and able to deliver’ ones. Do people just forget it’s winter?!

Templebar

Visit site
I’ve seen posts like this too, specifically ‘4 small bales of hay wanted urgently to be delivered to xxx today’. There’s also the ‘rug needed urgently, must be cheap and able to deliver’ ones. Do people just forget it’s winter?!

I hate the must be cheap too. buy a cheap one some other time like in the sales then be bloody prepared. It's bad enough these people inconvenience others by their incompetence but then to not expect to pay for it either. Poor horse is all i can say.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Wow, that would make me angry. I couldn't bare the thought of mine being without hay or haylage. Last winter I ordered a big round bale just for 2 horses a few weeks before the snow and pre bought another, so I knew I had enough.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
All the above mentioned ‘requests’ make me furious at the lack of thought and care by the owners.
An advert has only to begin “ I am just putting the feelers out “ firstly makes me want to ask if they are an insect and secondly not to respond at all.
The ones beginning “ I am just testing the waters...” need the response “ well, jump in ”
Most adverts like these end in the free delivery required immediately or the cheapest price wanted too.
😠

JFTDWS

Visit site
I love the idea of someone waking up this morning like "WTH is this white stuff?! Oh damn, it's winter isn't it!"... At this time of year, the weather occupies about 90% of my spare thoughts - "how wet will it be, will they be warm enough, how will the ground cope, will I get to canter on a hack today?!" The idea that someone could own horses and not be aware of the weather astounds me :p

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a siege mentality the idea of waking up with snow and no hay is entirely alien to me .
I watch the forecasts all the time never and run low on anything at this time of year .
We don’t have much storage so it’s a case of always topping up .
Atm I have a stash of seven five foot bales of rye haylege four round bales of hay and around eighty small haylege bales .
I have thirty bags of bedding and more due on Tuesday .
For five horses .

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It just beggars belief that people have horses and don't have hay for them in the winter, and they only think if buying it when there is snow on the ground, what if one has to come in a stable as an emergency they will need hay then as well I just don't get it.

Reactions: TPO

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
When we had horses, late summer I would bulk buy shavings, hay and other essentials, like rock salt for slippy yard, get a few new brooms in..few new hay nets so I could fill lots at one time..I was always prepared, but then I was a girl guide in my youth 😂😂

TheHairyOne

Visit site
I will confess to once doing the 'rugs needed urgently' post during the snow obviously!! Picked up the thinest pony I have ever seen in the flesh who was supposed to 14.2/3 (and I had one of those so rugs no problem!), who turned out to be about 13.2 ish and so, so skinny that every single rug avaliable on the yard drowned him. And then it snowed. And he had a skin infection so the hair had to come off.

He turned out to be a complete super star! The below pics are mid february, the end of may and about 12 months. I am not even a bit sorry about having asked! :)

(The original owner was reported)

Attachments

• 20190201_165755.png
    20190201_165755.png
    478.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 547882_179928882134801_175718978_n.jpg
    547882_179928882134801_175718978_n.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 58
  • 10959590_10153070346579812_4449244548603256524_n.jpg
    10959590_10153070346579812_4449244548603256524_n.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 54

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I will confess to once doing the 'rugs needed urgently' post during the snow obviously!! Picked up the thinest pony I have ever seen in the flesh who was supposed to 14.2/3 (and I had one of those so rugs no problem!), who turned out to be about 13.2 ish and so, so skinny that every single rug avaliable on the yard drowned him. And then it snowed. And he had a skin infection so the hair had to come off.

He turned out to be a complete super star! The below pics are mid february, the end of may and about 12 months. I am not even a bit sorry about having asked! :)

Well he’s a bit lovely and yes I think In those circumstances it’s ok, I bet you didn’t expect it free or cheap as possible and delivered though did you? 😂

pippixox

Visit site
Yep. Mine have come into barn and I like to keep stocked up as also hay when very icy (mostly live out) so I have loads. Friends 4 have come in and she was due a delivery this weekend! But saw forecast and went to county store yesterday to buy some little haylage bales to tide her over and I’m happy to give her a few sections. But she has a diy grass livery with three who are out with nothing. I know they can dig a little for grass, but it is quite deep now and not much grass anyway.

Amazed I have not had text to ask to ‘borrow’ some of mine. I hope they made it to feed store, but doubt it.

Chappie

Visit site
I guess the rug requests could possibly be for replacements if their spares got ripped in the field and their other rugs were also damaged or drying off... :confused: but the hay... even with only a garden shed for storage I've managed to store about 10 small bales... top up every month... thinking about the lives some animals must live keeps me awake at night, especially when bad weather sets in :(

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
It's what a lot of people are like these days. Incapable of planning ahead, always want things delivered immediately, and want everything on the cheap.

I blame the Chinese and Amazon. :p

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I can forgive if someone's just taken on a pony that doesn't fit their current stock of rugs, a rescue, or even a new pony arrived & not quite planned for the drop in temp, but not having enough hay to feed an extra mouth til the next day grates on me.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have a siege mentality the idea of waking up with snow and no hay is entirely alien to me .
I watch the forecasts all the time never and run low on anything at this time of year .
We don’t have much storage so it’s a case of always topping up .
Atm I have a stash of seven five foot bales of rye haylege four round bales of hay and around eighty small haylege bales .
I have thirty bags of bedding and more due on Tuesday .
For five horses .

Yep this is me - I just started the ‘last row ‘ of haylage and am beginning to restless about ordering more - seeing a row consists of 12 large heston style bales and each one lasts me a weekly so. in my saner moments, I imagine it will be the end of April before we ‘run out’... I don’t get how it can’t be beyond stressful to have nothing to feed your horses - what if there was an emergency and they couldn’t go in the field ? If you’re that short of money - all the more reason to be prepared...

meleeka

Visit site
I can forgive if someone's just taken on a pony that doesn't fit their current stock of rugs, a rescue, or even a new pony arrived & not quite planned for the drop in temp, but not having enough hay to feed an extra mouth til the next day grates on me.
I can understand this too, but the free or cheap and must deliver annoys me. If I took on a pony that needed a rug I’d either ask if anyone had one for collection or I’d go to the nearest tack shop and buy one, even if it was the cheapest one they had!

I have a friend who doesn’t think ahead. They rely on everyone else being organised to borrow from. The only problem is everyone has had enough of them owing money or favours and are no longer willing to help. I always think that’s probably the case for a lot of these fb ads.

Widgeon

Visit site

Oh bless him - such a cutie! His little face in that first picture...he looks gorgeous in the last.