Bending and Outlines

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
Having ridden riding school ponies and having a happy hacker all my life, now coming to school my 4 year old is proving to be challenging.

I have had plenty of help, so please no one jump to conclusions saying i cant handle her
frown.gif
I lunge her in a pessoa and she does normally relax and coming into a lovely outline and looks stunning. Even the big boss at my yard has said he sees improvments in her.

I've been working on transitions and i think i have cracked it! Now though i am trying to work on bend, now shes getting better at moving away from the leg an dnot having tantrams and rearing (very funny when i was watching my friend on her!!) But im wondering if any one else has any ideas of what else we can do, suggest unsing anything like Bungees etc....

Any help considered.....thanks

Tempi

Visit site
i wouldnt use training aids on a youngster. why is she rearing? i wouldnt find it funny to be totally honest with you. If my youngster reared (not that ive got one atm) i would not be happy at all....They should be willing to learn at this age and if shes already showing resistance its not a good start. Things must be taken slowly which im sure you already know. Lots of serpentines to help with changes of bend. Dont try to get her away from your leg by over using the leg aid, just use an indirect rein aid and slight pressure from your leg, she will soon learn and then just go from your leg eventually.

MiffyH

Visit site
I am in the same position. I am trying the following in walk and trot, I spiral in on a circle from 20m to 10m (depending on your horses balance you might want to do 15m) and then leg yield back out to 20m on both reins (allowing for babyness this may not happen over night), then on that 20m circle ask your horse look to the outside and then straighten and then ask inside and straighten, you may find she can only do a few steps to start and eventually you will be able to do whole circles. Remember to let her stretch down every so often as its a new set of muscles she is working.

(Just an idea of course works for me)

Ecila

www.freewebs.com
Thanks Miffy, she has just started to learn to bend, we are taking things slowly as she hates not understanding things! She is also very well balanced for her age, the YM has said she has never met a 4 year old like it! So when she gets a bit happier moving away it is a fab idea to try! Thanks

And for the record my pony only rears cause she thinks it will get her out of things! She resists if she doesnt understand or when she napps out on hacks, not randomly in the middle of the school. She hasnt done it in ages until the other day when my friend rode her, which is why it was quite funny as she just sat there!!! Sos orry if no one else finds it funny but everyone watchign (including the girl riding) found it very funny.