Benefits of a riding club membership?

Neversaydie

Undecided
Visit site
I am hoping in the not too distant future to have my own transport again for myself and my horse. Just wondering about joining a riding club, now my horse and I don't do much really, he has a few issues so we don't really jump or compete anymore. He is capable of a dressage test and some jumping of up to 60cms, used to be a lot higher 1.10 but not now. I like the idea of Le Trec and other such things.

I would like to know what the thoughts were regarding joining a riding club to do this or just pottering out and about on my own at organised events as a non member. I have a list of BRCs in my area and a few friends are in some of them. It wouldn't be a regular thing as I lead a busy life with a shift pattern that makes me work lots of weekends.

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Our riding club is a small friendly one which has a lot of training sessions in most activities, often with very well known trainers. They hire venues for competitions and training and have a very lively social aspect to it.
Perhaps you could find out if your local RCs have websites and you could get an idea of what they have to offer before making a choice.
I would recommend an affiliated RC because these may be more committed to training and raising standards than just being a competition club. There are also insurance benefits and the chance to compete for championships.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I agree, have a look online for what kind of things local clubs offer and see if it interests you. Affiliated clubs give you third party insurance, but unaffiliated clubs can be very good too, and often friendlier sometimes. From what you've written I'd look up local area trec groups, you may find that better for you.

lottiepony

Visit site
i'm on the committee of my riding club. This year we've made a real effort organising tons and tons of training which has been so well received by our members. As a club we're not very competitive, our members are real 'grass roots' riders who aren't really looking to jump high or particularly compete. This would appear to make us extremely popular, over 100 members this year which is amazing. It would be worth phoning the clubs to see what they're all about and which one sounds like it could suit you - ie if you're looking for training to do etc etc. I love our club as we also do lots of social events which are great.

Orangehorse

Visit site
It depends on the local Riding Clubs. If you start going along to the things offered and include the social events then you will find new horsey friends. Some Clubs are very competitive, others less so. Generally they organise training for members only and most will offer lower entry fees for their own competitions and there is usually a Cup at the end of the season.

ihatework

Visit site
It completely depends on the riding club but many of them offer lots of things which do make them good value.
Some examples: regular group lessons, often subsidised. Trips to equestrian events Olympia/badminton etc), pleasure rides/arranged group hacks, vet talks, yard visits, camps, bbq, trec etc.
I've been put through child protection and first aid courses paid by RC.

It usually costs about £25 a year and membership often gets you discounts at equestrian business / shops.

It more than pays for itself. As with anything you usually get back as much as you put in so I would say get involved.

WelshD

Visit site
Do a search of websites, ask questions on facebook groups and phone up for information if needed.

One RC near me is almost exclusively dressage, another is XC, another is very inactive and you only get reduced show entries for your money and nothing else and another has lots of events and members but isn't particularly welcoming of new people

A club is only as good as a varied and active committee

hairycob

Visit site
It very much depends on the club as some are very focussed on one or two disciplines. I'm lucky that my local club has enthusiasts for a wide range - not just the visuals but also TREC and skill at arms. 4 camps this year - dressage, jumping, trec and a general camp.

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Some clubs are very competitive but some realise that a lot of riders who have limited time like to do a combination of things, training, social, camps, competitions, and a lot of the competitions in our club are based on what the membership ask for, starting at walk/trot tests for dressage up to elementary for the odd competitor who can do that level.
But clubs are what is put into them by their committee and membership - go along, see what's on offer, see if you can help at one or two things and see how you're treated!
All these things are run by volunteers most of whom have limited time available and it can be quite disheartening to get criticism. Get involved, you'll probably enjoy it, make friends and have some fun besides riding!

Remi'sMum

Visit site
My riding club is fab. They've got a lovely club field with working hunter area, also an amazing arena that was put in 2 or 3 years ago.

They hold regular competitions, showing, jumping, dressage, and lots of lessons & clinics. The arena is also available to hire for private use by members too, either with or without jumps. They also do an annual camp (separate junior and senior) at a fabulous equestrian centre about an hour away. I went last year for the first time and can't wait for this year!

Annual membership is £25 and you get reduced entry fees as a member as well as perks like the private hire of the arena if you want it.

It's very friendly and supportive and the competitions are aimed at all levels of riders.

Go for it, I say!

Annagain

Visit site
I'm on my club's committee and to be honest, you get as much out of it as you put in. We have a real range from novices to those doing BE at intermediate and those we see once a year to those we see every single time. We do the BRC competitions and are pretty successful but we make sure we also do plenty for those who don't want to compete too. We do fortnightly lessons for all abilities, ad-hoc clinics, xc schooling trips a senior camp at Stockland Lovell and a one night, two day mini-camp for adults and accompanied juniors at our local venue. We do fun rides a beach ride and BBQ, special days for our more novice / less confident members where they have a lesson in the morning and a little clear round / dressage competition in the afternoon. It's a lot of work though so we do ask that members help at 2 events a year and some do this willingly while others we have to chase and chase. We've even refused membership from those who never help.

Obviously, those who come a lot and get involved benefit most both in equestrian and social terms (although we do our best to make everyone feel welcome,especially new members). I've made some lifelong friends through the club and am sure I'll make many more. If you're going to join, do it wholeheartedly.

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Too right. And I think when people get very antsy over things, it's good to remember that this is a hobby for most people who work incredibly hard to support it. Some people will drop in and out due to all sorts of commitments but the worst members are the ones who moan but do nothing!
Our RC social events are as important as the riding ones, it's about enjoyment, not punishment!

pepsimaxrock

Visit site
People do get very antsy -and the teams stuff seems to take priority over everything else - and it can become very very cliquey. The committee have been very very rude. You have to ignore all that to get the benefit of the training on offer. This is a shame as the cliquish behaviour can and does stop new members becoming involved in club activities and taking on responsibilities.

Edited to add: its interesting how antsy is a synonym of nasty

Neversaydie

Undecided
Visit site
Thanks for the replies :) personally I cannot be bothered with cliques and my horse isn't one for competing anymore so teams wouldn't be of interest to me at the present time. If I get another horse that can compete in teams then that may change but not right now.

What I might do is go to a few local things from different clubs that are open to outsiders and see how it goes and how I am treated, if am ignored and people don't help ( I will be alone travelling and competing) or seem to bother about me then I will move on to the next :)

I am happy to do most things with my horse but not compete or have any pressure on us :)