Benny's Big Futurity Adventure

Worried1

Visit site
Team Worried toddled off to Catherston on Tuesday with Royal Benedict (Benny) and Direct Pleasure (Diva) accompanied by Mini W, Mr Worried, Sister Worried and WP Worried! It was a real family affair and I planned it with military precision!!!!!

The night before I looked at Diva's long flowing mane and realised that she was not an Arab/Friesian/Iberian/Native and I was in fact going to have to tackle the long flowing locks. It had been 2 years since I had done anything to it and I approached with some trepidation remembering the early years of twitches and chifneys and being flung around the yard! :eek:

Motherhood it seems has mellowed her and bizarrely as I was on my own, I did it in the field and she went to sleep as I attacked it!

Tuesday morning I was on the yard for 7am to feed and turnout as our head girl is away and I needed to have the yard done before we went!

So assisted by WP Worried who appeared on the yard at 7.30 looking very bleary eyed and rather dishevelled we did an impressive job of getting everything done! By 9.30 am we were bathing Benny and Diva - none of us could believe how good he is... definitely been here before! And by 11am with the pair of them plaited we were on route!

An uneventful journey where by WP Worried and Sister Worried, promptly fell asleep I drove the entire way, the weather was rank and we drove through a couple of impressive storms!

Arrived in good time and the rain stopped and out came the sun. So we got the pair of them off and ready and then changed ourselves, now... for the love of god who on earth thought white was a good look??????

Went round for the vet check and was thrilled when he was given a 9 for future development :D and an 8.5 for current as one knee still needs to straighten out a little more so very happy with an overall of 8.75 :)

Bit of preening and then into the indoor, having done Plumpton last year and been disappointed by the comments that Roxy was not forward I was determined that Benny was going to move!!!!

So walked him round and then let him loose to trot, poor Sister Worried was towed around by Diva with Benny in hot pursuit!!!! :eek: Afterwards she may have pointed out I was a bit aggressive with the whip ;)

Then he was caught and then released for the canter.

Walked them round while they deliberated and then were called in.

They loved his frame, his build, how well set on his head and neck were, and he had an excellent length of rein.

They loved his paces, his overtrack in the walk and also how well he used his body. They felt his paces good have been slightly more uphill - fair enough, he had travelled 3 and a half hours so think this was perhaps tiredness as opposed to a lack of uphill ability.

He was awarded 9 for his walk, trot and canter with 17 for his overall way of going, so he ended up just missing Elite and got a Higher First with 8.71.

Very pleased not only with him but with Diva, she came back to me in a pitiful state and she has produced a stunning foal:D

ibi_00467_web.jpg

ibi_00444_web.jpg

ibi_00482_web.jpg

ibi_00502_web.jpg

ibi_00498_web.jpg

ibi_00497_web.jpg

ibi_00491_web.jpg

ibi_00442_web.jpg

ibi_00417_web.jpg

ibi_00403_web.jpg

Last edited:

Thistle

Visit site
A big well done. I spent the day at Futurity today and found it very educational. There were only 2 elite foals (neither was the Totilas foal) and 1 elite yearling. The general feeling was that the evaluators were tougher this year.

Worried1

Visit site
Thank you! :)

Thistle I was very disapointed last year with the comments about Roxy, I felt in particular the vet was very rude, dismissive and uninterested! We also left the arena embarrassed we had even bothered to dare present a dressage horse!

This year it seemed a very different atmosphere! the vet was lovely, they were complimentary, encouraging and really interested.

And while it would be lovely to have an Elite foal I appreciate that he isn't the next Totilas! ;)

We almost didn't bother this year but I'm glad we did, you start to doubt your own judgement when you have had a bad experience!

Not sure I'll present Roxy again but depending on whether Diva takes this year we might try next year.

Thistle

Visit site
W1 I know what you mean. At Writtle yesterday although the evaluators were quite tough and exacting it was presented in a very positive way, always praising the good points on every horse and then explaining why they couldn't give higher marks. I liked the way they put the audience first when explaining, insisting the horse was stood up to face the gallery.

As I said I found it educational and I'm glad I went.

Capriole

Visit site
Oh well done, congratulations! :D

Im going for the first time this year, tbh Im not sure Ive done the right thing entering :eek:

I agree with you about the white btw, could there be a less flattering, less practical option, lol.

D66

Visit site
Whites are not compulsory at Futurity.
The instructions stated that stud colours would be acceptable so instead of buying two pairs of white trousers I bought two black polo shirts (to go with the black jeans we already had). They gave a good contrast to the mainly white, coloured filly we were presenting.

congratulations - lovely foal.

Halfstep

Visit site
Having seen the photos of Diva when she came back last year, I cannot tell you happy amazing it is to see her gorgeous foal! Many congratulations, I know its been hard work but it must be so satisfying when it all comes right :) xx

Polotash

Visit site
He has a stunning face :0)

Happy memories of Catherston too, my baby, now 3, is by Springsteen, so her mum spent a loong summer there whilst we waited for her to take!

bananas_22

Visit site
I know very little about these sorts of things, but it all sounds very good to me so well done :)

But more importantly....look at those ears!!! He is so gorgeous :cool:

Worried1

Visit site
I'm on phone so cannot reply individually.

Thanks everyone...

as HS knows only to well, we had a really rough time with Diva so it's all the more special to see her happy, well and mum of a lovely, not so little, foal!

:)