Bespoke stable doors

Bertie1

Visit site
Very boring post, sorry about that!

I am converting some cow sheds into boxes, and I need some stable doors for them. Unfortunately, they are not standard size, and the two of the timber posts they will be attached to will need some reinforcing. So, I can't just order them over the phone, I need someone to come out, measure up, make them for me, and sort out the posts too.

I am in Northamptonshire, near Thrapston, south of Peterborough.

I have already had Scotts out, and while they're fabulous, they were extortionate!!!

Any ideas?

airedale

Visit site
try a local carpenter artisan - if you can find a good one.

I have Scotts doors - and they were 'adjusted' to fit the concrete block apertures. Yes they were expensive but 10 years down the line they hang level, all the bolts and kicklatches have never needed realignment, the galvanising still looks as new and the horses have never managed to dent or break any of them.

You get what you pay for and horses are notoriously destructive.

If Scotts have done a quote then you will have their measurements. Try Redmire as they are also a sawmill and are very adaptable. I have one of their mobile barns and 5 years on that is 'as new' as well. Recommend them and probably cheaper than Scotts.

Bertie1

Visit site
Thanks airdale. I will give Redmire a try.

I am also trying local carpenters.

If it was my own yard, I would probably go with someone like Scotts, but I am renting it, so am a bit reluctant to fork out loads for the doors!

miller

Visit site
Will give you a number tomorrow for the guy who built our stables - he'll be miles cheaper than redmire, he's from Murrow near Peterborough - guy called Gary Fisher - he did a cracking job of our stable build and isn't stupidly expensive for using good quality timber - stables worked out the same as Redmire and built much much better

Happytohack

Visit site
We used Redmire for our bespoke stable doors. The doors are wonderful, but were quite expensive but as it is our own yard it was a good investment. If you are renting, I would try somewhere a bit cheaper.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
We are doing exactly the same at the moment... converting cow sheds into stables, but we are making our own doors (OH is a dab hand with the power tools!). He knocks a door up in under 2 hours and the total cost (including the hardware) is about £25 per door.

If you are handy with the tools it is by far the cheapest option and easier if you have quirky doorways (like we have, there isn't a straight wall in the yard!).