Best 50g Rug

Stenners

Visit site
I currently use HW and I have either an Amigo 0 fill or an 100g turnout (that takes liners) and given the weather for the next couple of weeks I want something in between as she's also fully clipped!

I'm thinking the Amigo Hero 50g or the Shires Tempest - what would anyone recommend?

flying_high

Visit site
I currently use HW and I have either an Amigo 0 fill or an 100g turnout (that takes liners) and given the weather for the next couple of weeks I want something in between as she's also fully clipped!

I'm thinking the Amigo Hero 50g or the Shires Tempest - what would anyone recommend?

Add the rambo airflow liner to the amigo no fill. It is 50gm of fill, and wicking means you can turnout a wet horse. Dual purpose.

NR88

Visit site
I have the Amigo and Shires 50gm rugs mentioned above. The Amigo is a very neat fit. They both perform well but Shires would be my preference based on fit.

I recently bought the Weatherbeeta comfitec 50gm. It has only had a couple of weeks of use but it is a much better shape and fit. However I am a big fan of Weatherbeeta in general.

Peglo

Visit site
I also use both. I like the amigos but they are neater. Shires are good for the rug destroyer. They hold up pretty good and cheap to replace.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I have the 50g amigo and lime it. I think it is the stronger denier one in comparison to the Hero. 900 denier I think and seems to be lasting well so far.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My 0 fill doesn’t take liners :(

I find as long as they are attached at the back you don't really need to attach at the front, my rugs never move done this way.

I tend to use shires 50g and 100g with liners all the other liners fit them including swish as well, I recently bought a derby house 50g liner that fits they are only £32.99 Inc postage and I am pleased with the quality.

Stenners

Visit site
I have the Amigo and Shires 50gm rugs mentioned above. The Amigo is a very neat fit. They both perform well but Shires would be my preference based on fit.

I recently bought the Weatherbeeta comfitec 50gm. It has only had a couple of weeks of use but it is a much better shape and fit. However I am a big fan of Weatherbeeta in general.
I do really like the Comfitech!

Melandmary

Visit site
I have just bought the 50g weatherbeeta comfitec for the old mare I have, she is quite a standard shape. My big traditional has the big horse shop 50g. I did notice while I was rug shopping that mudrugs( the ones with the belly cover also do 50g rugs, they are nice and deep rugs with shoulder gussets, I was very tempted ?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I have my mare in the Premier Equine 50g Buster at the moment. Its a lovely rug and much better than just a rain sheet without any filling at all. I hate that sort of no fill rug with a vengeance, any make, they always end up like a wet slimy leaky old bit of tarpaulin stuck to them!

July dreamer

Visit site
I'm very pleased with my Gallop Trojan 50g combi, quite new but kept my old boy dry in the rain the other night. Fairly cheap to buy so not expecting it to last forever. It’s the only rug with a neck that I haven't had to put extensions on the neck straps, most nearly choke him when he puts his head down to eat. 6' 6" on a 15 hh cob, it’s a generous and good fit.
I find most no fill rugs leak in persistent rain, although I've only tried Mark Todd, Shires and Amigo

Sir barnaby

Visit site
Just bought a 50g weatherbeeta comifit too got a bargain at £41 as needed 6’9 and that was all that was left from Griggs equestrian. It fits lovely on Barney and is 1200 D so more waterproof than the others, but I am now looking at the gallop Trojan extra for my companion horse with all this wet weather she isn’t clipped and doesn’t get rugged but needs just a bit of protection till she grows her winter coat after all this rain.

Widgeon

Visit site
I'm very pleased with my Gallop Trojan 50g combi, quite new but kept my old boy dry in the rain the other night. Fairly cheap to buy so not expecting it to last forever. It’s the only rug with a neck that I haven't had to put extensions on the neck straps, most nearly choke him when he puts his head down to eat. 6' 6" on a 15 hh cob, it’s a generous and good fit.
I find most no fill rugs leak in persistent rain, although I've only tried Mark Todd, Shires and Amigo

I like my Gallop rugs too, they fit round the chest of my (barrel chested) 15.1 cob. He spent the whole of last winter in a no-fill Gallop and it's still going strong. Just very smelly....am considering a wash and reproof, then coating in Fabsil as per a recent thread!

wiglet

Visit site
I have an Amigo 50g rug. Had it 12-13 years and it's one of my most used rugs. Never had it cleaned - just wash the inside of the rug when it looks grubby.

It's just starting to leak slightly on the back but only in torrential rain. Fortunately, I bought two of these rugs 12-13 years ago (had two horses then) so, looks like I'm sorted for the next 12-13 years!