Best Airline for long haul flights

Circe

Visit site
It looks like I'm going back to holiday in the UK in May, its been a few years, and I have some leave owing to me.
So, I've looked at prices and 4 airlines are all pretty much the same price.
I'm not stopping over anywhere, just want to get there and get back, so I'm only doing the 2 or 3 hours stop in Asia.
The airlines I'm thinking of are British Airways, ( heard bad things, but never flown with them ), Virgin Atlantic, also never flown with them, Malaysian, flown with them about 10 years ago, they were ok, but not fantastic and Cathay Pacific, again not bad, but not flown with them for about 10 years.
So, I'm after recommendations for which airline you all would pick to do the 24 hr, cattle class fight with.
Quality street on offer, ( not the orange ones, I've eaten all of them )
Kx

Turitea

Visit site
I used Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand for my longhaul flights a lot. I recommend both.

Last edited:

Captain Bridget

Visit site
My sister highly recommends Virgin Atlantic. Flown to NY with them several times and always good.

I've heard good things about Cathay but they're not cheap! Also Malaysian/Singapore I've heard good things about. I flew over to Sydney last Thursday with Qantas, who I would highly recommend. I don't like flying and I really enjoyed my flight. Everyone was very friendly, helpful and the plane was really nice. (A380!) We weren't on time but that was due to 'inclement weather' leaving London and also Singapore. But overall it was a really good flight and I don't like flying!

My OH flew to India with BA in December and I think they were okay but nothing special to be honest!

Circe

Visit site
Thank you for your replies
Unfortuneately Singapore Airlines are quite a lot more money, or I would fly with them.
I haven't looked at Qantas prices, I just assumed they would be expensive.
I loved Air Newzealand when I flew to NZ with them... Will check them out, do you know if they fly via Asia, or only via the USA?
Its good that Virgin are good,it is looking like the most likely option at the moment.
Kx

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I got a return flight to Sydney from Heathrow with Qantas for £900 ish and that was flying out towards the end of Jan so more pricy as it's summer. But then I'm flying home in May so don't know if that makes a difference!

I found Cathay, Emirates, Virgin, Etihad, BA to be expensive, Qantas seemed expensive if you looked at the flight shares with BA but actually going through their own website it wasn't too bad.

There might be special deals on at the moment as Qantas and Emirates partner up in March.

j1ffy

Visit site
I've flown a lot of BA and Cathay. I'd say they're much of a muchness and both pretty average - Cathay used to have the most uncomfortable economy class I've ever sat in (worse than Ryanair!!) but they're gradually switching it out and the new seats are quite comfy. If you decide to go with them, try to get on a flight with Premium Economy as these ones have the refurbished Economy. If you're lucky enough to be going business then I'd go for Cathay every time! Their Premium Economy is pretty good too.

I've not flown the others in Asia, but I've never heard a bad thing about Virgin and would certainly fly them if their prices were similar to CX and BA - usually they're a lot more expensive.

oap

Visit site
Virgin is nice, avoid ba as the are miserable. Quite like qantas, Singapore fab but expensive. Take pillow, extra water, have fun

Circe

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.
Ive decided to fly with Virgin Atlantic, Ive heard a lot of good things about them, and they were about the same price as Qantas, malaysian and BA.
Singapore was a bit too expensive.
They fly at good times, and have a short layover in Hong Kong, so fingers crossed they are as good as I've heard.
Kx