Best and worse advise given to you

black_horse

Visit site
Best: to allow a horse to experess itself if you want it to work with you.
Worst: When dee was colicy 'leave her be, i am sure she will get over it'

Sparkles

Visit site
Can't think of any that comes to mind for me right now as my brain is fried lol.

Though got told the most shocking news the other day over some owner's horses randomly dropping down dead....she'd put anti freeze in their water to stop them getting cold apparantly!!!!

Down south somewhere I think that was.

overtherainbow

Visit site
best: either "heels down" or "grit your teeth and do it!!" (both yelled in the same traditional pony club manner!)

worst: "give it a good few smacks" for refusing at a fence- shes normally so honest i knew something was wrong but at 13 i felt i had to do as i was told- turned out she had broken her pedal bone...

savia

Visit site
Can't think of any that comes to mind for me right now as my brain is fried lol.

Though got told the most shocking news the other day over some owner's horses randomly dropping down dead....she'd put anti freeze in their water to stop them getting cold apparantly!!!!

:eek: Wow.Just wow.My mum read that post over my shoulder and the first thing she said was 'I hope she got banned from owning horses for that'.How can anyone be that daft (for lack of a better word)?

nikCscott

Visit site
Worse......" You are not going to work with horses, there is no money in it "
Best....." If Youre not enjoying it you shouldn't be doing it "

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

I adore my parents and know that they wanted 'the best' for me so I was steered away from equine college and todays a 'proper job' 10 years of good jobs but my heart wasn't in any of them- which I also sold horse for as I couldn't do both resulting in a complete 10 year break from any horse contact :(

Renvers

Visit site
Best - if the horse doesn't do as you ask, ask differently

Worst - 'just give it a whack' - ime it usually makes situation worse

Antifreeze wtf?!?

Sorry to hear about pedal bone injury

Last edited:

billylula

Visit site
Worst: send pony back he is clearly never going to be any good for you and your daughter
Best: remember that it takes time and effort to make a bond :)

Kat

Visit site
Best: Sit up and kick on - works pretty much every time whatever the situation!

Although in originality and stick in your headability my instructors description of the correct jumping position is inspired, still remember it and have repeated it so many times on here for others. It was the grotty public loo analogy - works a treat!

Worst: "Whilst I haven't found anything that would indicate that this horse should not pass the vetting I do not recommend that you buy it. She isn't suitable, you should save some more money and go and buy a nice sensible cob that you can hack to the pub and have some fun with."

We bought that horse, and she is one of the bravest most sensible hacking horses I have ever met. In time she'll do other stuff too, but for now she is worth every penny we paid for her just as a hack. She often has to give a lead to the other horses, and will pull up when the others are messing about. I could easily have spent 4x what we paid for her on a cob and come away with something that wouldn't hack as sensibly as she does.

PolarSkye

Visit site
Best: You know your horse, trust him and your relationship and take every opinion with a grain of salt

Worst: Put him on potassium bromide!

P

samsbilly

Visit site
Best if you think yOu know everythIng about horses you need to find another hobby
Worst cant really think of anything horrendous tend to pick he good bits out x

crabbymare

Visit site
Best advice just sit up and kick the bl00dy thing! after getting a horse that the previous owner had been afraid of who had a tantrum when I wanted him to trot a circle, after that lesson he only had mild not gonna moments and soon stopped those and made a super rc horse.

Worst advice that fortunately I ignored was sell it from a YM, horse went on to be VERY good!

AJ & Kiz

Visit site
worst: dont buy that horse your not stronger enough for her and shes crazy you'll get killed

Best: follow your dreams :)

xx

1973horse

Visit site

omg:eek::eek::eek::eek:

maggiesmum

Visit site
Best - Theres no such thing as wasted time with horses -

Worst - You'll never get it in an outline in a hackamore, it needs a bit. Told to me by a RI who changed her tune to "Looks quite elegant when she's working nicely doesn't she" half an hour later :D

showqa

Visit site
Worst "You need to get rid of this horse - it's dangerous". From a self professed expert, in the first few months of me having this horse, because he'd kicked my horse in the ribs then whacked it in the mouth and suprise suprsie, he bolted. The horse has never done one dodgy thing with me in the four years I've owned him.

Best "Stop being so demanding of yourself and the horse" from someone who is far too modest to call themselves an expert and yet is my equestrian idol!

fidleyspromise

Visit site

Urm, WTF? There really are some first class idiots out there. Poor horses :(

Worst: Jarred baby food for Laminitus....
Again, HOW? WHY?

Best - if the horse doesn't do as you ask, ask differently

Definitely agree with these. Same words I was given for teaching, if the rider isn't understanding you, then explain it differently. I.e instead of heels down, point toes to the sky. - works great for kids.

Best: Sit up and kick on - works pretty much every time whatever the situation!

Although in originality and stick in your headability my instructors description of the correct jumping position is inspired, still remember it and have repeated it so many times on here for others. It was the grotty public loo analogy - works a treat!
SIT UP, HEELS DOWN, SIT UP. - When my instructor was riding we used to shout this at her, after all the many years of hearing her bellow :D

PMSL. Grotty public loo analogy is ace - never heard that one before.

Best "Stop being so demanding of yourself and the horse" from someone who is far too modest to call themselves an expert and yet is my equestrian idol!

This!! I nearly ruined my bond with my horse by trying to keep up with others at the yard.
We're gradually getting our bond back and I will always take a deep breath and think through every I ask of my horse, breaking it down and we're just going out and having fun.