Best bit for a childs pony?

MyBoyChe

Visit site
For the ponies sake, would I be better off with a little french link snaffle or a straight bar rubber snaffle? This is for a complete beginner, still on the lead and obviously not in total control of her hands yet. Which of these, or another option, would be the kindest on the pony?

be positive

Visit site
I find many small ponies, especially Welsh a and b's, have very narrow jaws and that french links do not work as the joint ends up on the bars or corners, a rubber one may be better but can be too thick and bring other issues, I tend to put smaller ponies in a simple eggbutt single jointed as the first option, you need to see how narrow the pony is and how the bit sits.
When children are riding on the lead I often twist the reins through the throatlash so they have the sense of holding them, once the can balance properly without them, without being able to do much more than develop a feel, a good LR will be reading the leaders body language so the child thinks they are steering when in reality all they are doing is learning the theory, by the time they have become balanced enough to go independently their hands will be steady and the pony will, if suited for off lead work, be accepting of the odd wobble.