Best bit for dressage?

H-J

www.piczo.com
I have my horse in Myler combination bits for SJ and XC.

For dressage I have him in loose ring jointed bradoon snaffle.

He is very strong and tends to run on, he doesnt lean at all, and doesnt chew on the bit, would anybody suggest another bit for dressage or do you think the one I have in theory, would be the best one?

katiejaye

Visit site
what about maybe a baucher? I ride Louis in a loose ring french link but have in the past used a baucher when he has been strong and found it very good, plus it's dressage legal.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You could contact The Bit Bank & discus your problem with them They have a wealth of experience and will give you sound advice. Yopu can even have a bit on approval, try and decide if it's right for you. Their bits are not cheap, but their advice is invaluable. Good Luck

vic07

Visit site
could try something like a kk. These are made of metal combinations and are dressage legal. Find these are quite effective. with horses who find stainless steel bits too "cold". I would also try a french link rather than a single jointed bit as some horses find these more comfortable.

Bossanova

Visit site
A lozenge snaffle may be good, wither plain metal or the KK one most horses seem to accept.
Is this your good horse? Has he ever been in a double?

Governor

Visit site
I like German silver (preferably something with a lozenge) as a cheaper alternative to Neue Shuele or KK. Most horses seem to accept it anyway.

pocket

Visit site
KK fantastic bits, expensive but worth every penny, see if you can borrow one. My instructor lent me his as my horse was heavy on the hand and not accepting........ Now I'm a convert
wink.gif

i agree....kk all the way!!
i use the aurigan weymouth with a loose ring kk ultra bradoon with lozenge and it is FANTASTIC (i did have the kk ultra snaffle with lozenge for riding in snaffle bridle but the rings were too big so now i just use the bradoon from my double on the snaffle bridle aswell).

i can't recommend trying a kk enough...... i had a jointed snaffle before that to look at was VERY similar to a kk, my trainer kept telling me to try a kk and i thought how can it make that much difference (except to my pocket!!) when it looks the same. Anyway....i gave in and got the braddoon and weymouth (and said snaffle which i don't use) and i would NEVER put anything else in my horses mouth again.

H-J

www.piczo.com
Yes this is my eventer, just want something to keep his concentration, on one rein he will soften then some up then soften.

Im working really hard on his flatwork just wondered if I was riding him in the right snaffle

kateD

Visit site
I had a similar problem with my mare becoming strong and running on! I found a baucher/hanging cheek snaffle, with the milder french link mouth piece a real help, as it aplies pressure to the poll, but dosent have the nutcracker action of a single joined bit. Also try the Neue Shule website its really helpful! ( they have an ad in the back of Horse and Hound mag usually).