Best bit for horse that hates poll pressure but is keen...

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
So my horse is slightly difficult... he hates poll pressure and hides behind the bit by tucking his head on to his chest. I want something that will give me some brakes out hunting but that he won't duck behind and I don't think a gag action is the right thing for him at all. Everyone before me has hunted him in a gag but he isn't happy in it. He is very keen though and so I need something to be able to say steady to him and give me a bit of faith that i"m slightly in control. Any ideas?!!!

be positive

Visit site
It is not my preferred bit but a Waterford would possibly be the obvious choice, if used correctly it should allow you to stop pulling for control yet leave him alone when he is going well. Otherwise if you are happy with 2 reins a double bridle gives you the option of using the bottom rein when required but keeping the top rein to ride on most of the time, there is obviously poll pressure but it can be released unlike a dutch gag where they tend to just get further behind and you end up with nowhere to go.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yep, or what is he like with nose pressure? Best solution I found for my tank who didn't like poll pressure was to add a Kineton noseband to the bit she was comfortable in. Kept her drawing forward to the rein (so not curling up too much), but gave me control when I needed it. Took a bit of fiddling to get the action just right, but then we were away.

Not terribly fashionable but effective, you do need one that fits well with plenty of adjustment so you can get it right :)

FWIW I used to hunt her in a double bridle but still couldn't stop - upping the bitting was just starting an arms race with her (though she is polite and educated on the flat! :eek:)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
see how effective it is with the snaffle, for me, it gave immediate stopping power (but then I tend to lay a hand on my horse's nose if they are rude in hand too, so I knew she would respond well to the general concept)

personally I think they are best used with a snaffle rather than gag as you are not complicating the actions.. but horses are individuals so it's a bit of trial and error :) The myler combination is similar in principle to the combined action of gag and kineton so it's not a daft idea... but may be more than you need, especially if he curls away from the bit a tad.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I had the same issue with my cob, after bitting 'upwards' several times I put him back in the snaffle and added a drop noseband. I also used to ride him with my reins bridged over his neck so he was pulling against himself rather than me!

Ben2684

Visit site
I tinkered around with several bits to no effect and then tried a grackle-well what a marvel, snaffle bit with stopping power! May not work with all but worth a try??

LouisCat

Visit site
Our ex racer is like this. We found a snaffle with a drop noseband worked really well as it was him opening his mouth that made him strong

spacefaer

Visit site
Another vote for a Kineton - they're great in that they're inactive until the horse pulls.

Have you thought about a Pelham? We've got several with various mouthpieces, from happy mouth, through vulcanite to a mullen mouth metal one. He might be happier with the curb than poll pressure.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Funnily enough Doormouse suggested this last night so am going to raid her bit bank later in the week. I think the best would probably be something with a port as he has a large tongue and low roof of his mouth and 2 reins. Will take him cubbing on Sat in this and see how it goes.

caitlineloise

Visit site
My girl is the same - ducks behind the gag - I have a loose ring waterford, she's perfect in it, light, soft and responsive when I need it - I know they're not everybodies cup of tea but it's perfect for her, she's happy, and I'm happy :)

Mike007

Visit site
Waterford universal. The waterford is a great bit despite looking horendous. From a horses point of view it provides absolutely no nutcracker action but gives a more sensetive contact than a straight bar.Used with a chin strap the universal will give leverage and yes ,poll pressure is inevitable. Possibly used with roundings might be a better option. In my experience ,horses often run through a bit because the bit is too harsh and pulling hard against it deadens the pain.